Harvard Kennedy School 2014

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who is considering applying next year could you guys be so kind to provide this information for me: 

What are the employment prospects (realistically) for an MPP at HKS? Do all go in to public sector or is there a healthy bunch that go to private? here is my concern, since the tuition is high, I am worried whether finding a high paying job will be a difficulty. Since the public sector usually pays low, I am worried if I should do this. 

I have a law degree from Canada and I am seriously weighing whether the HKS could be worth it in the long term (most immediately in terms of salary) 

Here's the link to the employment stats, including salary information, for HKS: http://www.hks.harvard.edu/var/ezp_site/storage/fckeditor/file/pdfs/degree-programs/oca/employment_overview.pdf

The reported salaries for HKS grads moving into the private sector ($130k+) seem to be much higher than for other schools, where the average seems to be closer to $70-80k. (It seems like this might be partly due to the large number of HBS co-degree students attending HKS.) 

I think if you're only looking at the money, an MBA will offer better prospects in that regard. I'm also interested in a possible career in the private sector, but only because I believe there is public sector work that can be more efficiently done through collaboration with the private sector. Salary is important, of course, but it's not the number one concern for me--and I think the same will be true for many people applying for MPPs. 

Here's the link to the employment stats, including salary information, for HKS: http://www.hks.harvard.edu/var/ezp_site/storage/fckeditor/file/pdfs/degree-programs/oca/employment_overview.pdf

The reported salaries for HKS grads moving into the private sector ($130k+) seem to be much higher than for other schools, where the average seems to be closer to $70-80k. (It seems like this might be partly due to the large number of HBS co-degree students attending HKS.) 

I think if you're only looking at the money, an MBA will offer better prospects in that regard. I'm also interested in a possible career in the private sector, but only because I believe there is public sector work that can be more efficiently done through collaboration with the private sector. Salary is important, of course, but it's not the number one concern for me--and I think the same will be true for many people applying for MPPs. 

but shouldnt we be concerned about the 140k tuition. I mean sure, i recognize that some applicants may be in a stronger financial position than I, but I need to pay that tuition off soon before I can make serious money no? I am interested in MPP over MBA, I am all for government work, but I need to pay off the tuition somehow. that is my only concern. 

The truth is that just with an MPP, you're unlikely to make "serious money."  You can make a decent salary, and if you use your degree to go into a high-paying field like international finance or get a joint degree, you might end up becoming a high earner.  But most of the people participating in these programs want to work for the government or in the nonprofit world, where salaries are smaller.  There are sometimes student loan assistance programs to help with that problem, like if you agree to work for the federal government for X years they'll pay back your loans (I know Harvard has something like this for law students).   But you might also just end up paying back student loans over a very long period of time. It's not the kind of thing where you spend a lot in school and then come out and start making six figures right away and pay it all back quickly.  That's called business school or corporate law. 

That's why you apply to several schools and then weigh the pros and cons of each offer.  You might get a full scholarship to HKS, but you might not.  It might make sense to apply to a few Canadian programs, and also some American programs at other, less expensive universities or universities where you'll get more financial aid. It's also why it's really important to really think carefully about why you're getting the degree and what specific purpose it will serve for you in your chosen career. It's definitely a lot of money, but if you've really thought it through, then it's an investment in your career and your future.  If you haven't really thought it through, it could just as easily end up being a waste. 

Mainly agreed with Gov2School. The most important thing is to know what you want to do afterwards, because if you don't, any degree could end up being a waste if it doesn't get you where you want to be, career-wise. I do think though that MPPs can offer the salary you need to live comfortably (if you're me, anyway). I hope to earn $60-80K within five years after I graduate, and I think that will be enough to pay off loans, because I have already established that I don't want to pay more than $50K for my entire grad degree, and I've applied to a range of schools with that aim in mind.

That being said, to address your original question of whether HKS would be worth it in terms of immediate salary -- the numbers certainly seem to reflect that, but of course, you have no idea what kind of jobs they're going into. If you're asking whether the education is good enough to be worth 140K, chances are probably not. There are a lot of other very good schools in the US and Canada that charge about 60K less, and could be a much better fit for you, depending on what you want to do. I'd recommend some more intense research into the strengths and regional specialties of each program and also visit if you get the chance. 

I agree with AX12 that salary is important. Personally, it is about paying back student loans. Dragging debt for 2 decades is not my idea of ROI.

AX12 Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

«What are the employment prospects (realistically) for an MPP at HKS?  I am seriously weighing whether the HKS could be worth it in the long term (most immediately in terms of salary)»

Hi,

:) Am applying for Mason, did you applied?

Yes, I have applied and now waiting for the decision :)

Last year the decisions for Mason program were out on 15th March I beleive, so I hope to hear form HKS withitn a week or so.

no. But if you have read admissions blog posts this week they mentioned that they will start giving out decisions this week. Last year they started with the MPP decisions on March 13 and ended it with MPA2 on the 17th.  

Nope.  On the HKS admissions blog on Monday they said they're finalizing decisions and putting everything into their system, so hopefully that means they're close. No idea how long it takes them to do that and then do the checks they have to do.  I appreciate them being thorough (you hear about people being told they're in, and then get notices later saying they're actually on the wait list), but I hope they hurry! 

Last year they posted similar post one day before releasing MPP decisions. Thus, I think that they will be released by the end of this week. I have also noticed that yesterday "preview application proof" disappeared from my system so apparently they are doing something with it ;)

I found this (for MPAID applicants)

Harvard Kennedy School MPAID (Public Administration For International Development), Masters (F14) Other via Phone on 11 Mar 2014 I 11 Mar 2014
  • I just spoke to the Harvard Kennedy School admissions office, and they said that decisions won't start to role out for another week (which I think is contradictory to what was published on the blog a few weeks ago...)

I thought I would be really upset about not getting into Harvard, but you know I'm actually ok with it. I got into plenty of other good choices. Best of luck to everyone who gets in.

I thought I would be really upset about not getting into Harvard, but you know I'm actually ok with it. I got into plenty of other good choices. Best of luck to everyone who gets in.

Oddly okay with my rejection as well. good luck everyone

Was accepted. Got dinged earlier at Berkeley (although I think I submitted the same essay twice). Best of luck to those who got in at other great schools and those who might be enrolling this fall.