Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I completely agree! I have a cultural anthropology background as well. My project is in Armenia and I want to focus on post-violence situations, like ethnic Armenian refugee women from Syria, Iraq, and Azerbaijan who are all living in Armenia and how they establish intra-group solidarity and networks. Basically, if they help each other survive after escaping or if they are independent of each other. I'm explaining this very poorly!

I think it's difficult to explain projects on command, especially given its been some time since we've written our proposals. I myself had to skim over my statement to remind myself of what exactly I proposed to research..hah. Would the solidarity be a product of the past violence they experienced? You are looking at whether these groups who have faced violence, although not shared in origin, are bound together by their experiences or interact with each other because of having fled violent situations?

To those interested in violence, I am wondering, if any of you are worried of running into ethical issues of some sort, or having issues to the equivalent of IRB in the host country? 

To those interested in violence, I am wondering, if any of you are worried of running into ethical issues of some sort, or having issues to the equivalent of IRB in the host country? 

Does anyone know how research approval works with Fulbright? If the country selects you, I would imagine that entails your research being approved, but I do not know if there is a specific entity that needs to internally approve it. I think sensitive topics are definitely risky. On the country summary page for India it does say that

When writing your research proposal, please note the following guidelines. Research clearance is often delayed when:

• The subject matter is related to defense and strategic studies, tribes, inter-communal or other   socially-sensitive themes;

Which suggests that there is a process for research approval and that also, notably, projects with sensitive topics are not necessarily overlooked or rejected, but rather that they involve a more complicated approval process. I suppose I didn't exactly address your question. What are others thoughts?

Well, for me, I don't think it's going to be a huge issue. UNHCR Armenia has agreed to support my research so I hope that means it's okay? I know that women's rights is a big issue in Armenia, unfortunately, so I heard this topic is desirable. 

Does anyone know how research approval works with Fulbright? If the country selects you, I would imagine that entails your research being approved, but I do not know if there is a specific entity that needs to internally approve it. I think sensitive topics are definitely risky. On the country summary page for India it does say that

When writing your research proposal, please note the following guidelines. Research clearance is often delayed when:

• The subject matter is related to defense and strategic studies, tribes, inter-communal or other   socially-sensitive themes;

Which suggests that there is a process for research approval and that also, notably, projects with sensitive topics are not necessarily overlooked or rejected, but rather that they involve a more complicated approval process. I suppose I didn't exactly address your question. What are others thoughts?

From what I understood of my FPA, she mentioned that the host country institution's IRB equivalent should approve the research, and if I wish to use the data in the US, I should do an additional IRB in my current university. That's the general gist I got, but there is also a research restriction for the host country as well:

Restriction:

Security considerations preclude projects whose research methodologies or field work are considered to pose security risks.  Applicants wishing to conduct research activities are advised that Colombia's security situation is very organic, and that certain cities or towns, sections of urban areas, and rural areas of the country may be designated as restricted areas for security areas.  Proposals requiring students to be in these areas will not be approved.  All ground travel in Colombia must be approved by the Fulbright Commission.

Good to see another applicant to India. Good news, they increased the number of grants to India from 50 to 80 this year. What's your research area?

That sounds really encouraging! fulbright_to_India, do you have a source for this? I know there are 80 US scholar grants, but I hadn't heard anything about the US student grants that most of us are working for.

I know if I get a Fulbright I will likely have to go through my host institution's IRB, and my potential adviser has already warned me this can be an incredibly lengthy process (as it should be when we're talking about protecting human research subjects, though!). My current job includes IRB Coordinator at my alma mater, so I'm quite familiar with the IRB process at our institution, and even with it being relatively streamlined, it can take upwards of 6 months to get approval on a full research project (by "full" I mean identifiable and collecting protected health information or protected personal information). If I get a recommendation, I'm actually planning on going ahead and starting the IRB approval process at my host institution.

That being said, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing how IRB's work in other countries! However masochistic that may be...

Edited by cewarren6

I've had the same questions, as my research proposal for Indonesia is about healing from conflict - namely, the bloody 1945 uprising that ended Dutch rule. Following Indonesia's independence, almost all signs of a Dutch presence were eradicated from the archipelago. Even most people of mixed Dutch-Indonesian heritage emigrated.

In recent years, though, young Indonesian people have started a movement known as Plesiran Tempo Doeloe. The movement entails organizing history trails to learn more about colonial times in Indonesia, researching positive legacies of the Dutch, and even roleplaying dressed as people from the colonial era. So my interest is in how we can make the most of rich histories like these and reimagine what it means to be multicultural and multihistorical.

...Of course, that entails acknowledging that there was some kind of conflict, and I'm not sure how that will go over with the various committees. I really don't lean to any particular side and I hope they can see that. :-)

From what I understood of my FPA, she mentioned that the host country institution's IRB equivalent should approve the research, and if I wish to use the data in the US, I should do an additional IRB in my current university. That's the general gist I got, but there is also a research restriction for the host country as well:

Restriction:

Security considerations preclude projects whose research methodologies or field work are considered to pose security risks.  Applicants wishing to conduct research activities are advised that Colombia's security situation is very organic, and that certain cities or towns, sections of urban areas, and rural areas of the country may be designated as restricted areas for security areas.  Proposals requiring students to be in these areas will not be approved.  All ground travel in Colombia must be approved by the Fulbright Commission.

This is basically what my FPA told me too. As for the speed, I know that the level of contact with participants and the level of sensitivity of the information you collect plays a large role for my university's IRB.

I do research on sensitive issues (specifically non-mainstream and alternative religious and gender/sexuality identities), and have gone through IRB twice. The process depends on your university, and the issue came up in my preliminary Fulbright interview. If your project uses human subjects (most Fulbright research grants do), I was told that it helps the application in you have IRB approval before you apply. But again, so much of this is the opinion and viewpoints of my campus advisor...

I'm applying for a similar grant in the UK to fund my master's degree next year (there's only one grant available at each of the schools to which I applied). I've been trying to guess how the recommendation process works for these unconventional grants, but it's all pretty opaque. Guess we just have to hang on another week. 

Which UK institution did you apply to for your Master's and for what program? I applied to the International Security & Terrorism program at Nottingham!  

Hi all,

I've been 'lurking' and checking out the forum from the beginning, and like many have said it's nice to know there are others feeling similarly.

As cewarren6 mentioned, I know for myself if I am recommended to my country I will have to go through their IRB approval, my affiliate had told me this directly.

Wishing best of luck to everyone, and to get the news your hoping to recieve this week.

Edited by Z4Zebra

I'm actually strangely at ease right now. I'm sure it'll pass tomorrow, but Uni just re-started so I'm pretty busy. I'm debating how long I'll wait before opening the email when it finally comes. Might want a few more minutes thinking about the what-ifs :)

I'm actually strangely at ease right now. I'm sure it'll pass tomorrow, but Uni just re-started so I'm pretty busy. I'm debating how long I'll wait before opening the email when it finally comes. Might want a few more minutes thinking about the what-ifs :)

I completely agree. Plan on being surrounded by friends. For me, I will have wine/beer and ice cream available at the ready. 

I had surgery on Saturday so I am more entertained with the stitches than the thought of hearing about Fulbright tomorrow. I really hope we hear by the end of the week, I just want to get my life going and know what the next six months of my life will look like! 

I'm teaching my own course this semester and have meetings all day tomorrow so things are going to be super complicated for the next week while I wait. I'm throwing myself into teaching in the meantime.

It really sucks being a senior and not knowing what I'm going to do with my life after graduation. Law school apps are in, I'm also applying to another fellowship abroad, and I feel like I'm playing the waiting game all semester long. Enough already! 

Edited by FingersCrossed_118

It really sucks being a senior and not knowing what I'm going to do with my life after graduations. Law school apps are in, I'm also applying to another fellowship abroad, and I feel like I'm playing the waiting game all semester long. Enough already! 

I know! I applied to two fellowships abroad without luck (granted both were even more of a long shot than Fulbright) and I applied to 11 graduate programs that I'm waiting to hear back about. I thought graduating alone would be terrifying but not even being able to know I have a concrete plan/fall back is making it much worse! 

Fingers crossed,

I felt the same way back when I was applying and honestly this feels the same. 4 years down the road, it's just like waiting for those acceptances again! It will all work out one way or another but the limbo is awful!