Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

And after looking at the statistics from the previous years, the grant numbers for ETAs in East Asia/Pacific have only decreased. I hope that the both the number of applicants for Thailand decreased and the number of grants increase. *fingers crossed*

Edited by kbui

Yeah Florida can be a bit crazy sometimes (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/21-more-reasons-florida-is-the-craziest-state?s=mobile) but at least there is no snow.

I spent the first 26 years of my life in Florida, and I'm laughing so hard at this headline: "Record meat crime in Fort Pierce? Or just another high stakes caper?" I miss that crazy-ass state.

I spent the first 26 years of my life in Florida, and I'm laughing so hard at this headline: "Record meat crime in Fort Pierce? Or just another high stakes caper?" I miss that crazy-ass state.

You can easily be entertained for a good few hours by just reading some of the headlines of Florida-related stories: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4435009/

I've lived here for about 17 years and it becomes strangely endearing hearing these stories.

The Men Who Left Their Kids For The Strip Club really does happen waaaaaay too frequently in Florida! I grew up in Pensacola, where all of the parents who didn't want to leave their kids alone just called up a Violent Naked Pooping Masturbator to babysit.

Just saw on CNN that there is a federal government shutdown in DC and elsewhere on the East Coast due to weather.  Really hoping this doesn't impact notifications.  :unsure:   I don't even know where the people making these decisions are though; I just assume DC.

They're located in New York. At least, all the program managers are.

I've been lurking for a few days. I have enjoyed the posts, everyone! I am applying for a research grant to Australia.  Any other Australia hopefuls out there?

Edited by FB2014Aussie

:) Basically, I  proposed to write a 20 minute piece using chamber orchestra and dance that meditates on the enigmatic ideas found in the Dreamtime mythology of the Indigenous community. I made contact with a composer named David Page, an aboriginal composer who writes in a Western context for Bangarra Dance Theatre and is willing to help me realize my vision.  I have my fingers crossed :-)

So I'm sure if I read through all previous pages on this forum I could find the answer, but does anyone know the award chances if you make it past the first round? 50%, 60%? I have no idea and I'm sure it also varies by country. Also, applied for research in S. America. I think it is a bit ridiculous that for the country I applied to, you are supposed to start in March. If I find out in February, that is basically no preparation time. Maybe enough to squeak in a visa...just maybe. It would be nice to know so I won't have to leave mid-semester and take a bunch of incompletes and still have to pay full tuition.

So I'm sure if I read through all previous pages on this forum I could find the answer, but does anyone know the award chances if you make it past the first round? 50%, 60%? I have no idea and I'm sure it also varies by country. Also, applied for research in S. America. I think it is a bit ridiculous that for the country I applied to, you are supposed to start in March. If I find out in February, that is basically no preparation time. Maybe enough to squeak in a visa...just maybe. It would be nice to know so I won't have to leave mid-semester and take a bunch of incompletes and still have to pay full tuition.

Most grant periods for South American countries begin in March 2015, not March 2014 - the majority of Fulbright applicants won't even know the final status of their application by this March. You would have a full year to prepare...so no worries about potentially having to move in two months!

You are right in that it varies. Say a country has 24 slots for student research grants. They will generally pick between 36-48 people (1.5 to 2x the number of slots) as finalists. That gives you a 67% to 50% chance of getting a grant. HOWEVER you are now going up against the best applications so it depends on your viewpoint on when the competition is at its fiercest. If you are not selected in that round, you become an alternate. Everyone not chosen becomes an alternate unless they choose to withdraw, but they do not tell you where you are "in line." You could be first alternate or tenth alternate.

Hope that clarifies things for you :)

You are right in that it varies. Say a country has 24 slots for student research grants. They will generally pick between 36-48 people (1.5 to 2x the number of slots) as finalists. That gives you a 67% to 50% chance of getting a grant. HOWEVER you are now going up against the best applications so it depends on your viewpoint on when the competition is at its fiercest. If you are not selected in that round, you become an alternate. Everyone not chosen becomes an alternate unless they choose to withdraw, but they do not tell you where you are "in line." You could be first alternate or tenth alternate.

Not to be overly negative, but it's not necessarily the case that -every- person not given a grant becomes an alternate; it is also possible to be not selected. I think for countries with fewer grants it might be either selected or alternate, but in the case of Germany, with probably some 200-280 would-be ETAs moved to the second round for 140, they won't name 100+ alternates...

If you become an alternate is it something you could put on a resume or no?

I read on the boards for last year's cycle that people do. I think some people put it under their Honors and Awards section as something like Fulbright Finalist.

Not to be overly negative, but it's not necessarily the case that -every- person not given a grant becomes an alternate; it is also possible to be not selected. I think for countries with fewer grants it might be either selected or alternate, but in the case of Germany, with probably some 200-280 would-be ETAs moved to the second round for 140, they won't name 100+ alternates...

I am not sure how the ETA process works for alternates. I was only explaining what my FPA told me for research grants since that is what alexpen seems to also have applied to.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent rough formula for ETA applicants?

I am not sure how the ETA process works for alternates. I was only explaining what my FPA told me for research grants since that is what alexpen seems to also have applied to.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent rough formula for ETA applicants?

ETAs go through a similar process, but also have an option that I saw happened in last years ETAs applying to South America countries, like Panama, Argentina, etc. where they were chosen as alternates to their desired country but asked if they would like to be considered to another country (last year's case was Brazil). I know it has also happened in previous years for Germany, and Eastern European countries, which I think it's an advantage compared to those applying for Full grants and need to be placed in that specific country. Of course, last year it was rumored that Brazil's Fulbright commission was asking for more ETAs due to the incoming world cup event there. I am unsure if other allocated resources in the ETAs program can also influence applicants to be placed elsewhere, but I see it as an advantage since you may still get an ETA even if you don't get into your choice country. 

:) Basically, I  proposed to write a 20 minute piece using chamber orchestra and dance that meditates on the enigmatic ideas found in the Dreamtime mythology of the Indigenous community. I made contact with a composer named David Page, an aboriginal composer who writes in a Western context for Bangarra Dance Theatre and is willing to help me realize my vision.  I have my fingers crossed :-)

That sounds awesome!! I'll cross mine for you, too. :)

I didn't know that everyone not chosen becomes an alternate--thanks for sharing! I wonder if anyone's ever called in and asked his/her place in line.

Regarding the second round - this blog written by a successful Fulbrighter speculates on how it's done:

Kelly J. Stoner - Advice for Fulbright Applicants

After the finalists are selected, their applications are simultaneously sent to two places: the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB) and the in-country selection committee (either a Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy). The FSB meets in groups of 2-3 members at a time and they review applications by country. Your application is only reviewed once, so not every member of the FSB will see your application. From what I gather, the FSB either says “yes” or “no.” If you get a no from the FSB, it’s the end of the line; they have veto power over the in-country committee. The Commission or Embassy likewise reviews the applications, and recommend “yes” or “no” for each applicant, and I think they also rank the applications. Your selection by the in-country group is impacted by factors out of your control – are there 18 people applying in your field or just 3? Did someone else do the exact same project last year? (If you did your homework then the answer should be no). Is this an issue of concern for the government of your country? Then the results are sent back to IIE and the results from the FSB and in-country reviews are reconciled.

At this point, the program managers at IIE have an idea how many grants they will be giving. So let’s say that there are 7 finalists to Botswana, and those ranking #3 and #7 got “no’s” from the FSB. The IIE program manager emails the State Department for final approval on the number of grants to be awarded – let’s say they hear back it should be 3 grants. Then the applicants ranked #1, #2 and #4 would receive grants. Applicants #5 and #6 are alternates, and #3 and #7 were rejected. If #1, #2 or #4 turns down their grant or more money becomes available, then #5 and #6 may be offered grants.

Again, this is just an idea of the process she pieced together. But it sounds pretty similar to what's being discussed in this thread already anyway.

Edited by SaraBlue

Blergh, I know this is pessimistic of me but I am really doubting I'll even get into the finals at this point :( I proposed to reinvigorate forgotten Weimar-era composers who had to emigrate to the US (or elsewhere) due to the Nazi regime, via performance as well as by compiling their arias into an anthology for distribution to conservatories and universities. If I don't get it, I think I just gotta blame competition, because I had a great proposal, great affiliation letter, and a pretty decent interview/audition. 

Blergh, I know this is pessimistic of me but I am really doubting I'll even get into the finals at this point :( I proposed to reinvigorate forgotten Weimar-era composers who had to emigrate to the US (or elsewhere) due to the Nazi regime, via performance as well as by compiling their arias into an anthology for distribution to conservatories and universities. If I don't get it, I think I just gotta blame competition, because I had a great proposal, great affiliation letter, and a pretty decent interview/audition. 

Don't worry, at this point everyone is doubting themselves and their chances. This extra long waiting game...it is torture for the mind and nerves.