Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I'm now snowed in with no access to alcohol of any kind - whether it would be for mourning or celebration, I'll know in a few hours...

I clearly did not think this through when I was at the grocery store yesterday.

WHY HASN'T AMAZON.COM FIGURED OUT THIS WHOLE DRONE DELIVERY THING YET?!

I think since Fulbright is a government program, they should have their own drones to drop booze at every applicant's doorstep on decision day.

Tax money well spent... Just sayin'.

Sending lots of love and luck to everyone today...

Don't you have any neighbors? Maybe you could just drop by saying, "I live next door and I was wondering if I could borrow a cup of (insert name of your favorite alcoholic beverage)?"

My husband just left for the grocery store and on his way out said, "You're gonna want some strong beer this afternoon either way, right?"

Yes, yes I will.

Yeah, my BF has brewing experience and we are craft beer addicts.  I have two extra stouts (limited release from Schafly) in there regardless.  If I do well, though, we might go out and pick up some young's chocolate stout for me.  Hell, even if I don't, I might want some.

It is today.  You should hear late in the afternoon.  Since you did not apply through the school though, I did not get any early notification.

This is intriguing. Does this mean that our FPAs have already been notified?

This is intriguing. Does this mean that our FPAs have already been notified?

Yes, and some of them are spilling the beans early.  Sadly, my FPA was absolutely horrific.  I almost didn't apply because the prospect of working with her was so terrible.  But for those that have good relationships with their FPAs, they might get some info...

Yeah, my BF has brewing experience and we are craft beer addicts.  I have two extra stouts (limited release from Schafly) in there regardless.  If I do well, though, we might go out and pick up some young's chocolate stout for me.  Hell, even if I don't, I might want some.

Schafly--nice! Can I come over? I think Yeti is on the menu tonight. We have some nice stuff cellaring that I might break into if the news is good!

Don't you have any neighbors? Maybe you could just drop by saying, "I live next door and I was wondering if I could borrow a cup of (insert name of your favorite alcoholic beverage)?"

Well, I live in the Bible belt in a neighborhood surrounded by people who all know my parents...

I can hear my mother now... "Betty-Jo called me today and said you came over and asked if she had a gallon of bourbon on hand... Are you an alcoholic? Do I need to call the pastor? Or a help hotline? What's that AA prayer again?... the one about God granting you the serenity to... um... deal with bad stuff... and... things you can't change... and... I don't know! I'm calling your father!"

......... I might have a bottle of cooking sherry somewhere in the back of the fridge... :)

I am too scared to ask my FPA she was great but I fear bad news will put her in an awkward position of telling me the bad news. I rather just wait... hmph.

Do you think your campus would ever wright a bad rec for you? I didn't answer their culture questions very well. The interview was very last minute (my FPA almost forgot to do an interview I think). I am really worried. A Fulbright is great for the school and the FPA so I don't see why they would. If you weren't qualified they would tell you and just not recommend you, right?

Do you think your campus would ever wright a bad rec for you? I didn't answer their culture questions very well. The interview was very last minute (my FPA almost forgot to do an interview I think). I am really worried. A Fulbright is great for the school and the FPA so I don't see why they would. If you weren't qualified they would tell you and just not recommend you, right?

WRITE!!!! AHHH :)

Well, I live in the Bible belt in a neighborhood surrounded by people who all know my parents...

I can hear my mother now... "Betty-Jo called me today and said you came over and asked if she had a gallon of bourbon on hand... Are you an alcoholic? Do I need to call the pastor? Or a help hotline? What's that AA prayer again?... the one about God granting you the serenity to... um... deal with bad stuff... and... things you can't change... and... I don't know! I'm calling your father!"

......... I might have a bottle of cooking sherry somewhere in the back of the fridge... :)

I like how it switched from cup to gallon, lol!! Maybe you could tell Betty Jo you need cooking wine-->"oh you don't have any? that bottle of white wine right there will do just fine."

I don't see why they would write a bad letter. I always ask recommenders if they could write me a "good letter of rec." so they can say yes or no (if they're not planning to write a nice one, heh). 

I applied as a masters student and I'm pretty sure I got a lukewarm letter. They loved my proposal but then when I did the campus interview they didn't tell me they brought a language professor who interviewed me in the French without warning. I do research on 17th-18th c. Paris so I can read fluently and write well, but was totally caught off guard with the speaking in the interview and I think they didn't recommend me as highly as I would have liked. Fortunately this time around at a different school I met with and had a conversation in French with the language evaluator and she gave me a high recommendation, so I'm sure the FPA wrote a good letter as well. 

I don't see why they would write a bad letter. I always ask recommenders if they could write me a "good letter of rec." so they can say yes or no (if they're not planning to write a nice one, heh). 

I mean the FPA, not my letter writers. You know how the campus committee has to write a letter of rec, though they say FB doesn't necessarily look at them too closely. 

I applied as a masters student and I'm pretty sure I got a lukewarm letter. They loved my proposal but then when I did the campus interview they didn't tell me they brought a language professor who interviewed me in the French without warning. I do research on 17th-18th c. Paris so I can read fluently and write well, but was totally caught off guard with the speaking in the interview and I think they didn't recommend me as highly as I would have liked. Fortunately this time around at a different school I met with and had a conversation in French with the language evaluator and she gave me a high recommendation, so I'm sure the FPA wrote a good letter as well. 

They didn't give me any feedback. When I asked if they knew of ways I could strengthen my app, my FPA said "this is sufficient" and that is all!  I really felt like I blew it after that but then people told me that it is in their best interest to recommend me highly. Thanks for sharing your insight. 

I mean the FPA, not my letter writers. You know how the campus committee has to write a letter of rec, though they say FB doesn't necessarily look at them too closely. 

Oops! Well in my experience it was different. The FPA said she would write a letter of support in case we were short of rec letters so I didn't have hers. Unless, it's the University's letter of support? I think my university endorses the top FB projects by writing an additional letter of endorsement, but I guess each school has a different system. 

Oops! Well in my experience it was different. The FPA said she would write a letter of support in case we were short of rec letters so I didn't have hers. Unless, it's the University's letter of support? I think my university endorses the top FB projects by writing an additional letter of endorsement, but I guess each school has a different system. 

I don't know about you guys but I can see what my campus committee wrote about me when I log into Embark. Which is weird. I can't see my recommenders but when I choose to view my application it includes campus committee comments. 

I have class all afternoon in the same building as my FPA's office. It is taking every ounce of strength I have not to run upstairs and demand hints about my status. Gahhhhhhhhhh the wait is killing me, I can't stop shaking! Maybe I should skip my next class and go to the liquor store. 

Ah so you are a fellow applicant to France?! I'm hoping to be based in Paris. Hopefully we both get good news in this round and the next. We can celebrate with some wine in France.

I don't know about you guys but I can see what my campus committee wrote about me when I log into Embark. Which is weird. I can't see my recommenders but when I choose to view my application it includes campus committee comments. 

That is very weird.  I just checked mine and didn't see anything like that...

Ah so you are a fellow applicant to France?! I'm hoping to be based in Paris. Hopefully we both get good news in this round and the next. We can celebrate with some wine in France.

Yes, France... but now as a Ph.D. candidate and with a completely different project that is my diss..... best of luck and yes, I would be in Paris as well if I'm accepted

I just want to eat a bunch of pizza. 

Already pigged out on some pizza and pastries during lunch...not dealing with this stress well!! It was also a big mistake to have coffee during lunch, now I'm even more anxious, jittery, and on my nerves!

That is very weird.  I just checked mine and didn't see anything like that...

Yeah. I feel like it might somehow be a mistake, haha. It's when you look at the PDF that includes all your self-submitted application materials. For me it's the last page, after my transcripts.