Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Yeah. I feel like it might somehow be a mistake, haha. It's when you look at the PDF that includes all your self-submitted application materials. For me it's the last page, after my transcripts.

I don't have anything on mine hmm. 

So I'm at work, feverishly typing away at my computer to distract me from checking my email when I notice I had two missed calls from my college (the one I'm applying through). It's the general number so I can't call back. Then I get an email from my FPA to call him back. He tells me that it was posted on the Fulbright website (a part only they can access) that I'm a recommended candidate for a Greece ETA-HAEF!

He also told me that there was another candidate who applied for the same Greece ETA-HAEF program, and she is a top student who spoke Greek (I don't). She was not recommended.

Morals of the story: ASK YOUR FPAS. THEY KNOW. And very qualified applicants sometimes don't get chosen. My co-applicant's obviously still going to make it extremely far in life. Fulbright's only one facet; it's not the end-all of your accomplishments. Good luck to everyone!!

So I'm at work, feverishly typing away at my computer to distract me from checking my email when I notice I had two missed calls from my college (the one I'm applying through). It's the general number so I can't call back. Then I get an email from my FPA to call him back. He tells me that it was posted on the Fulbright website (a part only they can access) that I'm a recommended candidate for a Greece ETA-HAEF!

He also told me that there was another candidate who applied for the same Greece ETA-HAEF program, and she is a top student who spoke Greek (I don't). She was not recommended.

Morals of the story: ASK YOUR FPAS. THEY KNOW. And very qualified applicants sometimes don't get chosen. My co-applicant's obviously still going to make it extremely far in life. Fulbright's only one facet; it's not the end-all of your accomplishments. Good luck to everyone!!

Congratss!! too scared to ask though :c does anyone know at what time we are knowing? As in after 5 PM CST? EST? 

I ran into my FPA totally out of the blue just now (went in to say hi to the international education staff at a study abroad fair and there he was hawking fellowships!). He was seriously all smiles, which I don't think I've ever seen. Good sign?!?

I'm weirdly zen about this. I think I've been worrying nonstop for so long and almost let it ruin my week way back before the 17th that now I'm just like, when it comes, it comes.

Smith doesn't seem to have updated yet, interesting... maybe they got reprimanded?

Edited by Oliebollen

I like how it switched from cup to gallon, lol!! Maybe you could tell Betty Jo you need cooking wine-->"oh you don't have any? that bottle of white wine right there will do just fine."

Betty-Jo may be 90 years-old, but she's no fool... She'll see right through my facade and throw anointing oil at me. BAHAHAHAHA! :)

Edited by zjlb79

By the way, I find it highly interesting that an online forum community is creating spreadsheets with useful information on Fulbright. This is data people, legit research, I hope you all update the spreadsheet with the decisions made today so it could be useful for others in the future. 

CONGRATULATIONS!! :D

Yeah. I feel like it might somehow be a mistake, haha. It's when you look at the PDF that includes all your self-submitted application materials. For me it's the last page, after my transcripts.

nothing on mine either. Weird! And how lucky :)

Congrats, Bursting at the seems.

Hmmm, Yeti is definitely good beer.  The BF got a winter ESB.  We're in MO, so we have a lot of access to local stuff.  And by MO, I mean NOT in STL which, outside of Schafly, has terrible beer selections.  The BF is secretly wanting me to get a job at a school in MI which has an amazing Canadian program to be close to Bell's Brewery.  Yes, we are making life plans surrounding beer and wine.  It's also near great wines.  Michigan is where I ride my bike to in the summer and where I grew up spending time at the shore.  It's my favorite state by far.

Congrats, Bursting at the seems.

Hmmm, Yeti is definitely good beer.  The BF got a winter ESB.  We're in MO, so we have a lot of access to local stuff.  And by MO, I mean NOT in STL which, outside of Schafly, has terrible beer selections.  The BF is secretly wanting me to get a job at a school in MI which has an amazing Canadian program to be close to Bell's Brewery.  Yes, we are making life plans surrounding beer and wine.  It's also near great wines.  Michigan is where I ride my bike to in the summer and where I grew up spending time at the shore.  It's my favorite state by far.

My fridge in Cleveland is stocked with Bell's new Winter White... which is fantastic on this day where everything is shut down because it is too cold to go outside apparently....

I applied to HAEF! I'm so nervous and really don't want to hear it from my FPA in case it's bad news. Congrats!!! I'm insanely jealous right now!

Congrats on the Greece information!

"He also told me that there was another candidate who applied for the same Greece ETA-HAEF program, and she is a top student who spoke Greek (I don't). She was not recommended."

Should he have told you that? I am sure she is disappointed. I wouldn't want anyone sharing that type of information about me :/ 

Weird...just checked mine as well...nothing.

Weird...just checked mine as well...nothing.

Yeah, I really can't explain! Now I guess I know that my committee wrote the sort of vague, positive platitudes you expect from a large university...haha.

Wishing we could fast forward a couple hours. This has been the least productive day at work, like, ever.

Congrats on the Greece information!

"He also told me that there was another candidate who applied for the same Greece ETA-HAEF program, and she is a top student who spoke Greek (I don't). She was not recommended."

Should he have told you that? I am sure she is disappointed. I wouldn't want anyone sharing that type of information about me :/

Thanks!! And my FPA didn't tell me her name or any hints as to who she was, just that she was a top student and she spoke Greek. I totally agree, I wouldn't want anyone knowing that about me either! I don't think she'll know until 5pm :(

Itisd040, oh my gosh, GOOD LUCK!! It'd be so awesome if we both get it because I think we'll all be living in the same apartment! Sending over good vibes to you :)

My fridge in Cleveland is stocked with Bell's new Winter White... which is fantastic on this day where everything is shut down because it is too cold to go outside apparently....

Yay!  We just had some of that here the other night.  Bell's is our fave place.  We visited over Thanksgiving and it was like paradise for the BF who'd never been that way.  If you like Stouts, the Expedition is effing amazing.  Totally worth the price.  I brought the Java Stout to a gathering of Brewmeisters for various tasting contests and won a prize with it, too.

You guys are killing me. There's no way my FPA will tell us ahead of time. His assistant probably would, but she applied too and I don't want to ask in case she didn't make it. An hour and 45 minutes doesn't make much difference at this point but still. :| 

Good luck to everyone!

I will seriously go nuts if they hold off on sending my email out until 6, 6:30, 7, etc....

Does anyone know what the latest time emails get sent out is? I know they said "sometime after 5," but I really hope it's closer to 5 than closer to 8....

Edited by FingersCrossed_118

CONGRATULATIONS! 

I will seriously go nuts if they hold off on sending my email out until 6, 6:30, 7, etc....

Does anyone know what the latest time emails get sent out is? I know they said "sometime after 5," but I really hope it's closer to 5 than closer to 8....

I got mine at exactly 5 last year -- right in time for happy hour (for further reference, I was recommended, then got alternate).