Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

For those that are not getting to the next round, this is my third time applying. As an undergrad I made it to the final round and then was rejected. As a masters student I did not make it past the first round. As a Ph.D. candidate, I'm now recommended for the final round. 

I am pleased to inform you that the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education (IIE) has recommended you for a grant under the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for the academic year 2014-15.  Your application has been forwarded to the supervising agency abroad for final review.  In addition, your application will be forwarded to the program sponsor, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State, for transmittal to the presidentially-appointed J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB).  The FFSB makes final decisions on Fulbright awards. < /span>

Congratulations! By the way, I'm also musicology (Stony Brook), but applying for Germany, not France. Good luck!

"Subject: Your Fulbright Application

I am pleased to inform you that the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education (IIE) has recommended you for a grant under the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for the academic year 2014-15.  Your application has been forwarded to the supervising agency abroad for final review.  In addition, your application will be forwarded to the program sponsor, the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State, for transmittal to the presidentially-appointed J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB).  The FFSB makes final decisions on Fulbright awards."

Thank god... I really needed some good news. Even if I don't make it as a finalist, this looks great on my CV and I can be a mentor for future Fulbright applicants. 

I am SO sorry for all of you who did not make it through this round. If you want to apply again next year, feel free to message me for advice. I mentor undergraduates on applications like this all the time. Hopefully I can be of some help. 

Congratulations Secret_Ninja!

I'm going to check my email when I get out of work in a few minutes. Here's to hoping that we get to go to Indonesia together.  ;)

Edited by SaraBlue

Got the email at 5:36pm: Not recommended. Subject line is "Your Fulbright Application."

There are some really neat projects in here. Best of luck to you all!

ETA: One thing working against me was applying for Beijing, which is discouraged since everybody applies for Beijing & Shanghai. Not sure if I'll re-apply with this project, since it can only be done in Beijing...

Edited by Oliebollen

I'm so sorry :(

I haven't received an e-mail yet and my office doesn't know I applied for a Fulbright. I'm currently stuck in a conference room listening to a couple banter about trivial things. I want to scream into a pillow. 

Time has never gone SO SLOWLY. Still waiting on an email. This is excruciating.

For those that were not recommended, thanks for sharing, and best of luck. Your support and presence on this thread has been so appreciated, I really mean it.

What do the rejected emails look like?

The National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education has completed its work and has recommended candidates for the 2014-15 academic year. I regret to inform you that your application is not among those recommended for further consideration.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to accommodate all students who would like to participate in the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. I want to assure you that the application review is very thorough and that screening committees carefully weigh individual qualifications for research, study or teaching abroad. 

It is not our policy to discuss the reasons for this outcome.  As is often the case in the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, the number of well-qualified applicants this year exceeded the number of awards available and the limited opportunities for placement abroad. Over 10,000 applicants competed for about 1,900 grants. 

Etc.

What do the rejected emails look like?

The National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education has completed its work and has recommended candidates for the 2014-15 academic year. I regret to inform you that your application is not among those recommended for further consideration.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to accommodate all students who would like to participate in the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. I want to assure you that the application review is very thorough and that screening committees carefully weigh individual qualifications for research, study or teaching abroad. 

It is not our policy to discuss the reasons for this outcome.  As is often the case in the Fulbright U.S. Student Program, the number of well-qualified applicants this year exceeded the number of awards available and the limited opportunities for placement abroad. Over 10,000 applicants competed for about 1,900 grants. 

Please do not contact IIE to inquire about your individual application.  If you decide to reapply in the future, our Program Staff will be happy to advise you on the application process and provide general information about the program or country to which you are applying.

I know that this decision will be disappointing to you.  However, please note that the decision in no way prejudices your chances for participation in the Fulbright Program in another academic year.  Each year's selection process is separate and distinct.  If you wish to apply again for a Fulbright award, your application will be considered, as before, solely on the basis of eligibility requirements and the merits of your proposal. 

We appreciate your interest in the Fulbright U.S. Student Program and hope that you will find another opportunity to study or conduct research abroad.      

Sincerely yours,                                      

Daniel Kramer 

Director, U.S. Student Programs

Please do not reply to this email. The mailbox is not monitored.