Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

You will have to pay for your apartment yourself for the first month or two until you get the first aid disbursement. My friend had to wait until November! That includes security deposit too.

You will have to pay for your apartment yourself for the first month or two until you get the first aid disbursement. My friend had to wait until November! That includes security deposit too.

Thank you! That is great information. Now if I only knew if I was going! haha I've been trying to gauge how much money I would need if I get it...how often does one get to live in Europe? I want to enjoy it!

I also applied for the Fulbright Thailand ETA. I am a recommended candidate and I've been going crazy checking my emails EVERYDAY to hear something back!

Wow, so did I!

Goodness! Congratulations to those who are already receiving grants!

I am on the edge of my seat with everyone else waiting...if I didn't have a 19 credit semester, Fulbright would be the only thing I'd be thinking about. I think about it all of the time but there is room to think about my other classes and trying to breath...if that makes sense, haha!

Anyway, the wait continues...based on the excel document, I should be hearing about around the first week of April. The other day, I was like..."Omg...exactly a month away...". O_o

I need some strength. lol I figure in the meantime I will focus all of my energies in managing my extremely busy last semester. And into the heavy expenses to prepare for graduation. Whew. Can't wait to graduate, that's for sure.

Hey SmarteyMartey! I'm hoping for a Taiwan ETA too. It feels like I have been waiting forever for April to get here. Lucky you have school to occupy your thoughts. 

Hi olioliwoo, I do not believe that research grants and ETAs necessarily hear back on the same day. Does anyone else have more clarification on this?

I don't think the two are usually synched up. In the case of Germany, there is a specific government agency that administers the TAs, and I suspect other countries are similar (especially larger programs). Thus I would think the two would be on different timelines because they are being overseen by different groups. 

I don't think the two are usually synched up. In the case of Germany, there is a specific government agency that administers the TAs, and I suspect other countries are similar (especially larger programs). Thus I would think the two would be on different timelines because they are being overseen by different groups. 

Thanks for the clarification :)

Hey all...

I have a question.  I applied and was recommended for a research grant.  However, my mentor advised me that I should also get a master while I'm abroad to advance my education. So after applying for Fulbright and intending to do solely research, I also applied to a few master programs (in the same city as where I would be doing my Fulbright).   I recently got accepted to one of the programs, and I could do my proposed Fulbright project for the master thesis.  Do any of you know if it is possible to switch from a research grant to a research and study grant?  They also offered to write a letter for Fulbright to confirm my acceptance.

Thanks,

Neurona

Edited by Neurona

Hey SmarteyMartey! I'm hoping for a Taiwan ETA too. It feels like I have been waiting forever for April to get here. Lucky you have school to occupy your thoughts. 

Ah! That is excellent! :D I hope that we both get it! I hope you have something that can busy your mind enough. Anticipation can drive anyone up the wall, especially for something so important. 

加油!!!

Hey all...

I have a question.  I applied and was recommended for a research grant.  However, my mentor advised me that I should also get a master while I'm abroad to advance my education. So after applying for Fulbright and intending to do solely research, I also applied to a few master programs (in the same city as where I would be doing my Fulbright).   I recently got accepted to one of the programs, and I could do my proposed Fulbright project for the master thesis.  Do any of you know if it is possible to switch from a research grant to a research and study grant?  They also offered to write a letter for Fulbright to confirm my acceptance.

Thanks,

Neurona

Depends on the country. If they X number of research grants and Y number of study ones, I'd say 0% chance, primarily because it wouldn't be fair to the students who applied directly for study. They make it pretty clear at the start that you have to know what you're doing when you apply. I'd wait until you get it though to ask the commission. 

Depends on the country. If they X number of research grants and Y number of study ones, I'd say 0% chance, primarily because it wouldn't be fair to the students who applied directly for study. They make it pretty clear at the start that you have to know what you're doing when you apply. I'd wait until you get it though to ask the commission. 

The country that I'm applying to only has research/study grants.  There is no difference between the two.  However, the length of the grant is different based on if you are study or research.  For research grants it is 8 months, and for study grants it is 10 months. 

Even though I called and they verified my correct email - they sent the notification to my personal one instead?

I emailed the PC directly and he responded within 30 minutes by resending the email. 

At any rate - I am in!! Full Research Grant. Indonesia, here I come!

That's such good news, @Secret_Ninja!  Congratulations!  When I saw you didn't hear earlier in the week I was feeling a lot of second-hand frustration/anxiety for you (as if my own first person share of the same isn't enough).  

That's such good news, @Secret_Ninja!  Congratulations!  When I saw you didn't hear earlier in the week I was feeling a lot of second-hand frustration/anxiety for you (as if my own first person share of the same isn't enough).  

Awww - thank you that is really very sweet!  I hope you hear soon!!

Because everyone always asks, here was my subject line: "Fulbright Application Status (P)"

Edited by Secret_Ninja

Even though I called and they verified my correct email - they sent the notification to my personal one instead?

I emailed the PC directly and he responded within 30 minutes by resending the email. 

At any rate - I am in!! Full Research Grant. Indonesia, here I come!

Congratulations Secret_Ninja!!! :D :D :D

But wait... that weird "(P)" in the subject line... so now all we have to do is look for a (P), (A), or (N) in our subject line for our answer? Oh...not sure if I'm ready for my notification now. I don't want to be "slapped" with the news in a subject line...I want to ease into my email and look/hope for the "Congratulations".... LOL! 

Edited by ginagoestokorea

I've been lurking on this for a while but now that the notifications are starting to come out I gave in and registered!!! I'm recommended for Vietnam ETA. Is anyone else? I don't think I could wait until May, if it's the same as last year. I would go crazy! 

And congrats to everyone who has heard already!!!!!!!! 

I've been lurking on this for a while but now that the notifications are starting to come out I gave in and registered!!! I'm recommended for Vietnam ETA. Is anyone else? I don't think I could wait until May, if it's the same as last year. I would go crazy! 

And congrats to everyone who has heard already!!!!!!!! 

I had to give in too, once I saw that there was someone else for Vietnam! I was also recommended for ETA there. I am truly hoping we find out sooner rather than later because like you I have been stalking the former acceptance dates for Vietnam and they're usually a little later than most. I hope it is different this year!

Ah! That is excellent! :D I hope that we both get it! I hope you have something that can busy your mind enough. Anticipation can drive anyone up the wall, especially for something so important. 

加油!!!

Thanks! Even though I try to keep busy, I still find my self counting down days until April like a kid counting down to Christmas lol. Good luck to you too!

Congratulations Secret_Ninja!!! :D :D :D

But wait... that weird "(P)" in the subject line... so now all we have to do is look for a (P), (A), or (N) in our subject line for our answer? Oh...not sure if I'm ready for my notification now. I don't want to be "slapped" with the news in a subject line...I want to ease into my email and look/hope for the "Congratulations".... LOL! 

Wait, I guess I joined a bit late. I assume from Secret_Ninjas email that we should be looking for (P), but could someone fill me in on what (P), (A) and (N) mean? 

Wait, I guess I joined a bit late. I assume from Secret_Ninjas email that we should be looking for (P), but could someone fill me in on what (P), (A) and (N) mean? 

Hey there minusthehare, 

Well, Secret_Ninja is a Principle candidate since the person was select. Then of course there are the other possible notifications of being an alternate (A) or a non-select (N). I was just drawing a conclusion from the email which had "Your Fulbright Application (P)" in the subject line. I'm not sure if that was just a fluke or if that's just something Indonesia was doing for their candidates. Just an observation. Sorry to confuse you :-) 

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first time posting!

@Secret_Ninja, who did you email to find out about your Indonesia application? I've been desperately waiting to hear back about mine, I thought I was the only one who had yet to hear!

Awww - thank you that is really very sweet!  I hope you hear soon!!

Because everyone always asks, here was my subject line: "Fulbright Application Status (P)"

Ya that was my subject line too.