Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Norway study grant applicant here - would love to hear from other potential Norway Fulbrighters! Congrats to everyone who applied and made it this far. My fingers are crossed for all of you, including people who (like me) are also applying to graduate programs.

Hey, Blue_bird. I'm Norway also. What's your project?

You're also applying to Vietnam?! That's awesome. I google the notification dates everyday. I hope we find out this month!!! 

Sorry I just saw this!! But YES! I am applying for ETA for Vietnam. This wait is really starting to mess with me...just woke up from a nap in which I dreamed I was there. ;( 

anyone else having these dreams? and then feeling completely anxious once you wake up?? haha

Hey, Blue_bird. I'm Norway also. What's your project?

Hey! My undergraduate research involved studying the chemistry of paintings. I hope to continue similar work at the Munch Museum/University of Oslo studying the painting materials used by Edvard Munch and how they're reacting to the environment (light, moisture, pollutants, etc). I had a chance to visit Oslo over the summer to see a Munch exhibition with my research adviser and really loved it.

What is your project about?

I'm curious if there's any NatGeo applicants here? If so, what is your project? Super curious about who's going to be a recipient of the grant. 

I don't know if they also lurk on here, but a few of the applicants for that grant created their own forum on grad cafe:

Late comer to this thread.  I've been getting so antsy about hearing back I've been scouring the web looking for any clue as to when the results will come out!  

I've applied to a full research grant to Germany and have been taking German classes here, but still know just about enough German to say I can't speak German.  For anyone who may know or knows of someone who would know, what's the deal with the intensive pre-Fulbright language program?  Any and all info would be greatly appreciated, thanks! 

Late comer to this thread.  I've been getting so antsy about hearing back I've been scouring the web looking for any clue as to when the results will come out!  

I've applied to a full research grant to Germany and have been taking German classes here, but still know just about enough German to say I can't speak German.  For anyone who may know or knows of someone who would know, what's the deal with the intensive pre-Fulbright language program?  Any and all info would be greatly appreciated, thanks! 

I'm also applying to Germany and would be curious about this, too. I studied for many years but I wouldn't call myself fluent. I could manage in classes, though. But I imagine I am not at the level required...

I'm also applying to Germany and would be curious about this, too. I studied for many years but I wouldn't call myself fluent. I could manage in classes, though. But I imagine I am not at the level required...

I don't believe there is an actual language requirement, hence the language/orientation course. It may be helpful or even beneficial to know some German, but the point of the courses is to get one to basic conversational German.

I'm curious as well. I'm sure they require those of us doing research to know a bit more German, or at least enough to conduct our research properly.

I'd be translating very poetic operatic text that would be very easy for me to translate (I do it regularly as my job) so hopefully they won't be too stringent ;)

I don't believe there is an actual language requirement, hence the language/orientation course. It may be helpful or even beneficial to know some German, but the point of the courses is to get one to basic conversational German.

Thankfully, my research would be conducted in an all English university lab, but I am curious about the logistics of the course if anyone has any information.

So I'm currently a fifth year architecture student at Carnegie Mellon. I applied to Mexico City to research integrating small-scale urban strategies for water treatment in informal communities. I made it past initial consideration and had my Skype interview with Comexus panelists a little over a month ago. From what I understood (I'm proficient in Spanish, but not *yet* fluent), they told me it would be a month till I heard back. Still waiting though...

Anyone apply for a research grant through Mexico? Any thoughts on the interview or the notification date? I'm interested in other project proposals, especially eco or water-related.

Do you guys think maybe Germany will hear today? (Research/study people). Not last year, but every year before, they heard on this Tuesday..

I also applied to Germany as a research/study applicant and because of this observation have been checking my e-mail pretty much non-stop today. I'm getting so antsy - even our Fulbright program advisor at my university sent out an e-mail yesterday asking if anyone had heard anything because she hadn't (the subject of the e-mail was "Fulbright Results", what a tease!). As illogical as it is, the longer this wait becomes, the more uncertain I become...even though I turned in my application months ago so everything I could do, I already did.

Edited by Breenok

For people doing research grants in Germany, I'm pretty sure the standard for the language requirement is that you need to speak enough German to complete your project. So, if you're planning on poring over German language manuscripts, you probably should be stepping up your German, but if you're going to be doing laboratory research and working with a lot of English-language texts, you don't need to worry. 

Like others mentioned, that pre-grant course is just to bring everyone up to a basic level (I think they might sort you according to your abilities?). There are plenty of full grants that come over with very little experience with the language, so I wouldn't stress about it too much so long as you think you know enough to complete your project. And anyway, your German will improve significantly the first few months regardless of where you started. 

I also applied to Germany as a research/study applicant and because of this observation have been checking my e-mail pretty much non-stop today. I'm getting so antsy - even our Fulbright program advisor at my university sent out an e-mail yesterday asking if anyone had heard anything because she hadn't (the subject of the e-mail was "Fulbright Results", what a tease!).

I might be wrong-- it might be next Tuesday. Sorry!!! It's hard to tell, some years were early, some weren't...

I might be wrong-- it might be next Tuesday. Sorry!!! It's hard to tell, some years were early, some weren't...

No worries. I've been very good at finding reasons for any day to be the day.

"Oh, we should hear today because that one year they heard on the 3rd Tuesday of the month" or "Oh, we should hear today because I like the number 14 and it's the 14th" and so on...

Edited by Breenok

I'm not usually vocal on this page, but I can't stand not knowing anything. The worst part is that I'm nervous because I haven't heard news about other countries either. I asked my contact here at my university and he is pretty much useless. I know another person on this forum applied to Panama. Stranger, do you have any news?!

"Why is Fulbright toying with our emotions?!" Is Fulbright even real? At this point, I'm starting to think it's all a lie! ahhhhhh

So I'm currently a fifth year architecture student at Carnegie Mellon. I applied to Mexico City to research integrating small-scale urban strategies for water treatment in informal communities. I made it past initial consideration and had my Skype interview with Comexus panelists a little over a month ago. From what I understood (I'm proficient in Spanish, but not *yet* fluent), they told me it would be a month till I heard back. Still waiting though...

Anyone apply for a research grant through Mexico? Any thoughts on the interview or the notification date? I'm interested in other project proposals, especially eco or water-related.

Hi arch_in_half, I also applied to Mexico City, but my field is neither eco or water-related, although your project sounds fascinating to me—and perfect for Mexico City. My proposed project is on transnational women writers in post-revolutionary Mexico. My interview was about a month ago as well. It looks like the last week in March is when most applicants for research grants in Mexico have received notification in the past. I bet we'll know by this time next week, and until then, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.