Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

How restrictive... I hope it's your top program. I would be weary of going to a school where they aren't prioritizing their students' personal and professional development. I asked my graduate school, and they were very understanding--though a Masters and a PhD are in different arenas in term of academics and styles.

It is not my top choice, but my top choice based on what I was accepted into. I was really planning on getting the Fulbright, as silly as that sounds, and hoping that I'd be able to reapply next cycle. I don't know why they won't offer deferment, especially considering how the program is set up. Perhaps I could spend a year during my dissertation applying, but I doubt I would get it then, as it would be weird, I think, to apply for a research grant to the UK, rather than a study grant. Either way, I must take what I was lucky enough to get and move forth! 

Congrats to all who heard good news and condolences to all who heard sad news. The best advice I can give is to remember that life is a funny creature. We all think we want to go a certain direction and when we get diverted, it feels like the end of the world. But I have a bit of age and with a bit of age comes wisdom. So many times in my life I was disappointed by one of these moments; I believed that there was NO way I could find a silver lining. Sometimes it took me years to realize it, but these path changes were wonderful things. For example, I did not get a particular grant 2 years ago that diverted my preliminary research by 6 months. I was devastated. However, by going to the field site later I was able to spend 3 months with a BBC film crew. This experience changed my life and would not have happened had I gotten the grant I originally wrote for.

Just remember the parable of the farmer whose horse ran off:

The situation we always live in is like that of the wise Chinese farmer whose horse ran off. When his neighbor came to console him the farmer said “Who knows what’s good or bad?” When his horse returned the next day with a herd of horses following her, the foolish neighbor came to congratulate him on his good fortune. “Who knows what’s good or bad?” said the farmer. Then, when the farmer’s son broke his leg trying to ride one of the new horses, the foolish neighbor came to console him again. “Who knows what’s good or bad?” said the wise farmer. When the army passed through, conscripting men for war, they passed over the farmer’s son because of his broken leg. When the foolish man came to congratulate the farmer that his son would be spared, again the wise farmer said “Who knows what’s good or bad?”

Edited by Secret_Ninja

I just found this thread (I'm brand new to the gradcafe forums) and it's oddly comforting to know that I'm not the only one who is anxiously waiting to hear back about Fulbright.  I probably won't hear back for a few more weeks because I applied to Sweden, but that hasn't stopped me from feverishly checking my e-mail.

Good luck everyone!!

I just found this thread (I'm brand new to the gradcafe forums) and it's oddly comforting to know that I'm not the only one who is anxiously waiting to hear back about Fulbright.  I probably won't hear back for a few more weeks because I applied to Sweden, but that hasn't stopped me from feverishly checking my e-mail.

Good luck everyone!!

Hi cgerry14! I am also an applicant to Sweden...I don't think we will be hearing for awhile which is driving me crazy. Good luck to you!!!

Hi everyone!

I'm a longtime lurker (that sounds vaguely creepy doesn't it?) and first time commenter. I was so surprised when I got recommended for an ETA in Turkey and I am so incredibly grateful that I did.

I am wondering if anyone knows the date that acceptances from Turkey usually go out? I'm biting my fingernails to the quick and randomly start pacing back and forth when I think about the Fulbright (is this a common thing? No? Just me?)

Anyways, I also saw a few comments on a spreadsheet that has information on when suspected notification times are. Is there anyway someone can tell me where to find it or send it to me?

Thanks guys! And congrats for getting recommended. Or even just applying  - the struggle was very real when applying. 

slowly realizing its a great honor to be in alternate status. happy to have made it this far. endless scouring of sites about probability of selection results in too much information. All i can do is plan to not do it and if it works out welcome it as a happy surprise. that said, there are big decisions to make and as time ticks by it would be harder to undo those plans....  ah, life.

Why did I just find a typo in my Fulbright application?...

Hahahahah same happened to me. But we've made it this far! I highly doubt one typo would really be a deciding factor at this stage of the game. I would hope that the content and ideas of our proposals would have far more weight in the decision making process  :rolleyes:

Hi everyone!

I'm a longtime lurker (that sounds vaguely creepy doesn't it?) and first time commenter. I was so surprised when I got recommended for an ETA in Turkey and I am so incredibly grateful that I did.

I am wondering if anyone knows the date that acceptances from Turkey usually go out? I'm biting my fingernails to the quick and randomly start pacing back and forth when I think about the Fulbright (is this a common thing? No? Just me?)

Anyways, I also saw a few comments on a spreadsheet that has information on when suspected notification times are. Is there anyway someone can tell me where to find it or send it to me?

Thanks guys! And congrats for getting recommended. Or even just applying  - the struggle was very real when applying. 

Here's the spreadsheet link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&usp=sharing#gid=1

Applicants to Turkey usually hear in April or May (so don't worry too much yet!). It's almost the same for Malta, where I've been recommended (for the second year in a row), so we'll probably be in this together for a while!

Hahahahah same happened to me. But we've made it this far! I highly doubt one typo would really be a deciding factor at this stage of the game. I would hope that the content and ideas of our proposals would have far more weight in the decision making process :rolleyes:

Lol, I truly hope this is the case.

Horb, are you sure you couldn't take a leave of absence once you had attended and had performed well?  leaves and deferments are very different things in university rules.

I might! I mean, worse case scenario, I work hard so that I can teach in England. I'm planning on applying for a DAAD scholarship for the summer, so maybe with that and bit more work, I might make it in a few years, once I'm in the PhD phase.

I got this email today from Fulbright. I'm trying to think it's good news, but I fear it is a notice because I won't hear until May.  Did anyone else receive a simiar email?

Dear Candidate:

You were recently notified that you have been recommended for further consideration for a Fulbright Student Award. Congratulations on making it this far in the process. In the event that you are selected as a grantee, you will be required to attend an informative Pre-Departure Orientation in Washington, D.C. from Friday, June 27 – Sunday, June 29, 2014.  

This Pre-Departure Orientation will give you practical information on health and safety abroad, the administrative details of being a Fulbright recipient, and cultural and country-specific details to help you be successful in-country.  It will also provide you an opportunity to build relationships with peers and meet with staff from the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (CIES), the Institute of International Education (IIE), Fulbright Commissions in the region, and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the U.S. Department of State.   

Selected candidates will receive an official invitation and registration instructions later this spring.  The costs associated with travel and accommodations for the length of the orientation will be covered by the U.S. Department of State.  We look forward to welcoming selected candidates to the Pre-Departure Orientation in June 2014.

Please know that the country selections may not be announced until mid- to late April.  If it will be later than this, we will let you know.  We cannot release any information about selections until we receive approvals from the country and the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs (ECA).

I got this email today from Fulbright. I'm trying to think it's good news, but I fear it is a notice because I won't hear until May.  Did anyone else receive a simiar email?

Dear Candidate:

You were recently notified that you have been recommended for further consideration for a Fulbright Student Award. Congratulations on making it this far in the process. In the event that you are selected as a grantee, you will be required to attend an informative Pre-Departure Orientation in Washington, D.C. from Friday, June 27 – Sunday, June 29, 2014.  

This Pre-Departure Orientation will give you practical information on health and safety abroad, the administrative details of being a Fulbright recipient, and cultural and country-specific details to help you be successful in-country.  It will also provide you an opportunity to build relationships with peers and meet with staff from the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (CIES), the Institute of International Education (IIE), Fulbright Commissions in the region, and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the U.S. Department of State.   

Selected candidates will receive an official invitation and registration instructions later this spring.  The costs associated with travel and accommodations for the length of the orientation will be covered by the U.S. Department of State.  We look forward to welcoming selected candidates to the Pre-Departure Orientation in June 2014.

Please know that the country selections may not be announced until mid- to late April.  If it will be later than this, we will let you know.  We cannot release any information about selections until we receive approvals from the country and the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs (ECA).

No, I didn't get an email like this. But I will say that I think this type of email is kind of silly. They've got to know that we're waiting with bated breath for any and all Fulbright emails. It's like a while back when they sent the surveys to fill out about the application. I just feel like no emails that aren't decisions should be sent out in the next three weeks. 

No, I didn't get an email like this. But I will say that I think this type of email is kind of silly. They've got to know that we're waiting with bated breath for any and all Fulbright emails. It's like a while back when they sent the surveys to fill out about the application. I just feel like no emails that aren't decisions should be sent out in the next three weeks. 

I did not get this email either.

slowly realizing its a great honor to be in alternate status. happy to have made it this far. endless scouring of sites about probability of selection results in too much information. All i can do is plan to not do it and if it works out welcome it as a happy surprise. that said, there are big decisions to make and as time ticks by it would be harder to undo those plans....  ah, life.

Being an Alternate must suck. I'm anxiously waiting on for Korea ETA and would probably prefer to be rejected than to be an alternate. I don't think I could handle the uncertainty!. I accepted a position with TFA with the understanding that I would defer if I got Fulbright, but if I were to be an alternate I would probably just let it go and reapply next year. I hate waiting.

Good luck to you. I hope you get it without having to wait too long. Though I'd probably back out if I were an alternate, you never know. You might get it. I know last year an alternate heard back quickly that they got it because the preferred candidate had already accepted a hefty non-deferral scholarship for law school. 

Being an Alternate must suck. I'm anxiously waiting on for Korea ETA and would probably prefer to be rejected than to be an alternate. I don't think I could handle the uncertainty!. I accepted a position with TFA with the understanding that I would defer if I got Fulbright, but if I were to be an alternate I would probably just let it go and reapply next year. I hate waiting.

Good luck to you. I hope you get it without having to wait too long. Though I'd probably back out if I were an alternate, you never know. You might get it. I know last year an alternate heard back quickly that they got it because the preferred candidate had already accepted a hefty non-deferral scholarship for law school. 

It does suck, but at least there's still some hope! Plus, getting alternate last year gave me the confidence to apply again this year. Hopefully it'll turn out more favorably this time...but like misterpleasant said, it's still an honor to be an alternate.

Dear Candidate:

Miri1776, what type of grant and country are you applying for? Maybe this email is specific to what you want to do...

Also, what was the subject line for the email?

Edited by GnosisExchange

Miri1776, what type of grant and country are you applying for? Maybe this email is specific to what you want to do...

I vaguely remember that last year only applicants to certain countries got this e-mail. And not everyone got it at the same time.

It does suck, but at least there's still some hope! Plus, getting alternate last year gave me the confidence to apply again this year. Hopefully it'll turn out more favorably this time...but like misterpleasant said, it's still an honor to be an alternate.

it would be great if they sent a quick automated email once the chosen candidate accepted...instead of ONLY responding if they don't. I know someone who got bumped up from alternate 2 weeks before the program started. crazy stuff. as of now, I'm just planning on other things...but its such a lingering feeling. Hence, i'm on grad cafe every 10 min!

I believe only those who applied to these countries (link: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/information-for-recommended-candidates) will get that predeparture email. 

"Several Fulbright U.S. Student Programs hold mandatory pre-departure orientations in Washington, D.C. These conferences will take place over 2-3 days in late June or July. Dates have not been finalized yet for all of the conferences, but the information will be added as it becomes available.

All candidates accepting awards for the following programs are required to attend a pre-departure orientation:"

Edited by bangkang