Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Augh please don't compare yourself to anyone else. Everyone has different kind of accomplishments and you should be proud of what you've done. If there's anything that gives me an itch is when people start comparing themselves to others and don't feel like they're good enough. A lot of these kinds got top notch education that only their wealthy parents could afford. Many of them got to go to places through connections. Oh and the Olympics guy, same thing, $$$$$$$$$$$$. Not to say that everyone gets to the top only through money, but do remember that a lot of these ivy league kids had private tutors and a wealthy family to back them up. Of course, there's plenty of people who are ambitious and studious and thus, get into positions of power. But you know what you have that others don't? DRIVE. So do yourself a favor, look into the mirror, and see the badass that stands in front of you. If there's anything that will bring you down is comparing yourself to others. Remember, we all learn differently, and education is not a "once-size-fits-all" even though schools try to make it like that (by judging our intellect based on standardized tests).

Lol, thanks for that Japanila! Though I meant for it to be satire... lol.

I've been reading this message board for a while now, and want to thank everyone for all the e-support through this application process! 

I was notified today that I was selected for a Fulbright ETA to Slovak Republic. I got the email at 4:45pm Eastern Time and the subject read "Fulbright Application Status (P)".

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Goodness! CONGRATULATIONS to you!

So to take my mind off of Fulbright, I'm reading Rhodes Scholar profiles. Now, I feel like I've done nothing with my life besides eat potato chips off the couch, lol.

1. "Interned at the U.S. Embassy in Belgrade." I don't even know where Belgrade IS.

2. "Worked with leading law enforcement authorities to use psychological research to achieve less biased trials." I did one semester of research teaching kids how to say "car" in Dutch--it's "auto," by the way.

3. "A pianist and a freshman lightweight rower, he also trained as a competitive figure skater under the coach of the Chinese Olympic team." Well, then. Lol.

4. "President of the Stanford Debate Society, and won 2nd place in the U.S. national debate championships." I once entered an English writing contest and got second place... out of two contestants.

5. "Written one feature length screenplay and three for short films." I went to watch Wicked on discount tickets, once.

6. "Tutor and lecturer in math, physics and biology in summers in Syria and Lebanon." I taught English to a group of Vietnamese nuns one semester in Taiwan.

7. "Worked in Kenya on an irrigation project and is now developing a water project for Tanzania." I once helped my mom water her plants, and it died. :o Lol.

LMAOOO your comments next to the quotes are hilarious

So to take my mind off of Fulbright, I'm reading Rhodes Scholar profiles. Now, I feel like I've done nothing with my life besides eat potato chips off the couch, lol.

1. "Interned at the U.S. Embassy in Belgrade." I don't even know where Belgrade IS.

2. "Worked with leading law enforcement authorities to use psychological research to achieve less biased trials." I did one semester of research teaching kids how to say "car" in Dutch--it's "auto," by the way.

3. "A pianist and a freshman lightweight rower, he also trained as a competitive figure skater under the coach of the Chinese Olympic team." Well, then. Lol.

4. "President of the Stanford Debate Society, and won 2nd place in the U.S. national debate championships." I once entered an English writing contest and got second place... out of two contestants.

5. "Written one feature length screenplay and three for short films." I went to watch Wicked on discount tickets, once.

6. "Tutor and lecturer in math, physics and biology in summers in Syria and Lebanon." I taught English to a group of Vietnamese nuns one semester in Taiwan.

7. "Worked in Kenya on an irrigation project and is now developing a water project for Tanzania." I once helped my mom water her plants, and it died. :o Lol.

When I mentioned the idea of applying for a Rhodes, I was told because I had to work to pay for college, I had little chance of getting one. Apparently, there is a reason most of them come from the ivies: these schools have more financial opportunities for students, so they can get funding to do this cool stuff. But hey, I feel like most of the people I met here are worthy of any scholarship they choose! Y'all are awesome :) 

Basicly, to be a Rhodes scholar, you had to have been one of those people who did something ridiculously amazing like a person who happened to build a school for underpriviledged children in a 3rd world country by him or her self when he/she was 7 years old. Lol seriously I always wondered where and how did those people find the time, place, and connections to do such things. Lol i just wanna tell them "Fulbright people are pretty awesome too ya know~~~!" But jeeez, I didn't think they would be out right discriminatory in the economic sense... :-/

Edited by ginagoestokorea

I think it is more that you have to have the resources to fund those things. BUT to get into the schools that have those resources, you need to have done awesome things in high school along with being ridiculously smart and have money to both a) fund those awesome things in HS and B) pay for that awesome university for undergrad.

Now, not EVERY Rhodes scholar is rich. That isn't what I'm saying. I'm just saying that if you look at the unis they are from, 95% of them are probably Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or Stanford. Harvard and Yale actually freaked out one year because they didn't get as many Rhodes or Marshall spots as they thought they should and revamped their departments. It is actually pretty funny to read about it.

I just know I could never have done summer after summer of refugee work and when I went to ask if I could apply, my advisor literally said that unless I saved a village, I probably wouldn't get one. I almost laughed then realized how serious she was.

Does anyone know when Central Asian countries get reported? I checked last year's Excel sheet and it says the very end of April. Surely, that can't be correct. What about those of us who need to notify our graduate programs/funding/etc.? 

No way, I was reading through Rhodes Scholar profiles yesterday, too! I really don't know what inspired me to look but I am glad I am not the only one. Also...really enjoyed this post LOL!

Does anyone know when Central Asian countries get reported? I checked last year's Excel sheet and it says the very end of April. Surely, that can't be correct. What about those of us who need to notify our graduate programs/funding/etc.? 

That's pretty typical, at least in previous years. I didn't hear until mid May last year (Malta), and I had to defer my grad program without knowing if I had received the grant. (And I ended up as an alternate...oy.) It worked out well for me in the end, but it was really frustrating.

However, a few pages ago, someone mentioned that Fulbright might be trying to get all notifications out by April 15 this year. I guess they got some complaints? Hopefully this person is right!

Has anybody's acceptance letter talked about what the actual award amount is? I was just examining the cost of living in my respective city in Australia and it is pretty high (a McDonald's combo supposedly costs $9). Does anybody know what kind of stipend to expect? I know it varies between countries. 

Has anyone heard back from Brazil yet?

Also, do you have to get your BS/BA degree before they can notify if you are accepted or not?

I have some decisions that I have to make relatively quickly that are contingent on the Fulbright, but I have no idea if I will have to wait until May/June to find out if I got accepted!

Has anybody's acceptance letter talked about what the actual award amount is? I was just examining the cost of living in my respective city in Australia and it is pretty high (a McDonald's combo supposedly costs $9). Does anybody know what kind of stipend to expect? I know it varies between countries. 

It can even vary within the country. Some places (like the UK) give you more in you are in the London area because it costs more, while others (Germany) give you a set amount, which sucks if you are in Munich (rent alone could be 500 of the 750 allotted). My friend figured this out the hard way.

I have been giggling about these for a full day  :)

This is absolutely perfect!!! This literally made my day.  Too funny...

Also, I remember that someone mentioned that we should all hear by April 15th.  Who did you hear that from?  That would be perfect if it happened, yet I am trying to not get my hopes up too high to hear back by then.  

Congratulations to everyone that has gotten principal!!! You will have an amazing year.  For everyone else that heard back, I have no doubt that you will go on to do amazing and incredible things.  :D

Also, do you have to get your BS/BA degree before they can notify if you are accepted or not?

No you don't have to have a BA before they notify you, but you have to have graduated by time you start your assignment. So your graduation must be in May or August if you're going on September. If your assignment starts in the spring I'm assuming you can graduate by Dec.

I have some decisions that I have to make relatively quickly that are contingent on the Fulbright, but I have no idea if I will have to wait until May/June to find out if I got accepted!

No news from Brazil yet! I applied there as well. ETA or research? I talked to my FPA on Friday and she said IIE is aiming to send out all notifications (for all countries) by April 15th. 

As a comment to award amounts, some of the country-specific Fulbright websites parse out exactly how much recipients will be receiving. Not sure if this helps with Australia though!

(eg. http://fulbright.es/convocatorias/ver/1399/postgraduate-research/2014-2015 )

Do you know when we find out if the country website does not say? Do we have to wait for our acceptance letter to come in the mail?

No news from Brazil yet! I applied there as well. ETA or research? I talked to my FPA on Friday and she said IIE is aiming to send out all notifications (for all countries) by April 15th. 

I'm for the ETA track- how about you? Also, just out of curiosity, what are you planning on doing when you come back? It would be awesome to get the Fulbright, but the fact that the academic year in Brazil is from March to October throws me off a little bit! It makes going to grad school a bit difficult!