Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

As an applicant to Mexico, I emailed the person who sent me the initial notification that I was recommended (Fulbright-Garcia Robles, in Mexico). I don't know if other countries work that way, or if applicants received emails from the US Fulbright office on the first round notifications.

I just asked if they had any information on the date that final notifications would be sent out, since I had been told during my interview that it would be one month, and that time period has passed.

Very politely, and very thank you. hehe

Although my interview did not go well AT ALL, so I think it would be miraculous if I got it. But, as everyone knows, the uncertainty is unbearable....

When you guys are emailing, who exactly are you emailing and what are you saying? I would LOVE to do this, but I'm nervous...

Not sure about everyone else, but I emailed the IIE Program Manager for my region.  You can look your PM up on Fulbright's website by choosing your region under the "Countries" tab, then scroll below the map and list of country names - it's sort of hidden unless you know you can scroll down.  In terms of the content of the email, I would try to keep it rather short and to the point, but just to the extent of: "I am coming up on deadlines for the 2014-15 school year, and I would appreciate any information as to when Fulbright will be making its final decisions for X-country."

Before writing be sure to search this thread for your country and make sure no one has already written to the PM and asked the same thing.  It may also be useful to keep a tally of who has been contacted and for what countries.  Off the top of my head, we have heard from:

Panama - "not finalized"

Colombia - "mid-April"

Brazil - "soon"

Germany - "unable to predict" / "much of a waiting game"

Mexico - "by April 11th, the latest"

As you can see, the information is always going to be rather ambiguous, and you can't fault the PMs for that because they probably have little if any more information than we do.

So I broke down and emailed Fulbright in Mexico about notifications, since during my interview they had told me one month and that was on Feb 21--not to mention that March 26 was the notification date last year. Anyway, this was the response I received:

Thank you for your email.

Sorry we have not contacted you yet but we are awaiting for the confirmation form the Fulbright Scholarship Board (FSB) and this is taking longer than we expected. According to recent information the results will be given by April 11th, the latest.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Kagt - did you get this email from them today?? 

Not to go slightly off-topic, however has anyone seen this: http://www.hogwartsishere.com/ ?

It is slightly scary (don't know if that is the right word); they will give you actual homework and have it marked, etc.  

Investigating this was a wonderful break of checking my email and gradcafe on repeat.  :D

Not to go slightly off-topic, however has anyone seen this: http://www.hogwartsishere.com/ ?

It is slightly scary (don't know if that is the right word); they will give you actual homework and have it marked, etc.  

Investigating this was a wonderful break of checking my email and gradcafe on repeat.   :D

This is ridiculous haha. Reposted on facebook for my HP nerd friends. Way more than I ever would want to know. 

For those interested in going to Taiwan and for the rest of the alternates, a story that might bring some hope: http://bekahgraham.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/my-fulbright-experience-uncut/

I could feel the emotions almost when I read this.

Favorite part: "Which is why, two months later, as I prepared for finals and graduation, I nearly had a heart attack when I finally mustered up my courage and returned IIE’s call. Mr. Akeley sounded bored as he told me, but I didn’t care: I was, officially, a Fulbright scholar."

I could feel the emotions almost when I read this.

Favorite part: "Which is why, two months later, as I prepared for finals and graduation, I nearly had a heart attack when I finally mustered up my courage and returned IIE’s call. Mr. Akeley sounded bored as he told me, but I didn’t care: I was, officially, a Fulbright scholar."

I love this whole blog post because she truly sounds like someone who appreciates the opportunity that she received as a Fulbright scholar. This was an excellent read.

Yes, but I emailed first.

kagt, I applied to Mexico too—thank you so much for emailing Comexus! After checking, rechecking, and then rechecking again the notification dates from previous years I was starting to hope we'd find out this week. Somehow it's just reassuring to know the wait will be longer, but not too much longer.

Edited by Varlet Sirin

Varlet, I was convinced that we would be notified this week, especially because they said decisions would go out one month after the interviews. But yeah, its good to have a better idea...I was beside myself with distraction.

I don't want to seem like a super spammer, since I've been a lurker 'til now, but a friend pointed me to Duolingo today and I'm having a great time. It's a fun (free!) language learning/strengthening program. They don't have every language, but there's Spanish, French, German, Italian and Portuguese, so if anyone wants to brush up their skills, it might be worth checking out.

Also, you can compare your progress with others, so if anyone wants to watch me suck at Spanish (I'm applying for the Germany ETA.), I have the same username there.

Thanks for the laughs and the commiseration these last months. Here's to the long haul!

Hey at least we should be grateful that we receive our results via email rather than snail mail..imagine..we'd probably get our acceptance/rejection letters simultaneously (due to geographical regions) and that would take a hell lot longer than a simple email. I'd be checking my mail box everyday haha.

Hey at least we should be grateful that we receive our results via email rather than snail mail..imagine..we'd probably get our acceptance/rejection letters simultaneously (due to geographical regions) and that would take a hell lot longer than a simple email. I'd be checking my mail box everyday haha.

I'm imagining this combined with the Polar Vortex and other weather shenanigans we had this year >__< Yay for email!