Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking here for quite some time, but I finally decided to say hello. My boyfriend broke up with me a week ago and I figure it's far healthier to focus on hopeful things (like the possibility of a Fulbright!) than crying/scouring the internet for tips on how to get someone back.

Sigh. 

ANYWAY. I'm waiting to hear back about an ETA to Malaysia! Any other Malaysia applicants hanging around here?

Hello Everybody!

I've been watching this message board for some time and this is my first post. I am also waiting to hear back about an ETA in Malaysia. I can't wait to find out!!! Last year, they found out on April 2 about grantee status. So perhaps we will find out any day now!

Hey homeys--I've finally decided to emerge from my lurker shell to join this party!  I've been recommended for the Russia ETA position and have been playing it pretty cool in terms of anxiety/sanity levels until April hit--now the excitement and mania are starting to catch up to me, and I figure that it is time to share (unleash) the crazy and the nerves on you who understand these sentiments all too well:D

Good luck to everyone still waiting, and congratz to those who've heard good news back!

Based on last year, it will probably be at least a month (if not longer) between when you get your initial acceptance and when you find out your placement. It was handled differently by each Bundesland. In my case, I received two letters at the end of May -- one telling me I was in Hessen, and the other telling me my actual placement. They weren't sent the same day so I think it was just happenstance that the arrived at the same time. A handful of people found out via e-mail, I believe, but for the most part everything came through snail mail and some people didn't know their actual cities until July :/

Thanks Torrid! I have a few more questions, if you don't mind. Was Hesse one of the places you listed as a preference? Did a lot of people seem to get their first or second choices? Also, did you have any say in whether you would be teaching primary or secondary school students?

Hey -- a little confused. The Notification Dates (not 2014-2015, but all years) spreadsheet has been updated, but now a lot of the 13-14 dates seem off. I'm positive the Germany ETA didn't send notifications May 16 last year, for example. Does anyone know what's going on?

Where can I find said spreadsheet?

Thanks Torrid! I have a few more questions, if you don't mind. Was Hesse one of the places you listed as a preference? Did a lot of people seem to get their first or second choices? Also, did you have any say in whether you would be teaching primary or secondary school students?

Hessen was my top choice, so I was pleased. I think for the most part people got one of their top 3 choices, and in cases where they didn't there seemed to be somewhat of an effort to compromise (i.e. people who indicated Northern Germany via Hamburg, Bremen, Niedersachsen ending up in Schleswig-Holstein). Certainly if your top 3 are Bayern, Berlin and Hamburg there's a decent chance you won't necessarily get any of those, but otherwise I think they try hard to match people with their preferences. 

Very few people are at Grundschulen... I can only think of one first-year TA off the top of my head, and I think she specifically talked about experience working with younger children in her application. I know there is also one 2nd year at a Grundschule. Thus most everyone is working with kids between 12-22, though the actual range depends on what type of secondary school you're at (many people are at Gymnasien, but not all -- I am at a Realschule, and a fair amount of people are at Berufschulen). 

I'm excited because today I will get a break from being so focused on Fulbright (although the topic is related to my research proposal). April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day!

Autism spectrum disorder is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the US. According to the CDC, 1 in 68 American children have autism. The WHO states that "[d]espite the high burden of autism and other developmental disorders in children and adolescents, these conditions have been widely neglected by policy makers and public health experts, particularly in low- and middle-income countries."

If you see a lot of people wearing blue today, this is the reason.

worldautismawarenessday.jpg

Yeah, it looks like someone may have gotten a little out of hand again with the editing/updating - just a heads up that I am going to revert it back to the earliest version that is not completely out of whack. I'll let y'all know what the time on that version is in case anyone has entered new information since then, they will need to re-enter it.

Edit: OK, everything should be back to normal. The time of the last revision that contained the correct notifications for 13/14 as well as Laos' information was yesterday, April 1 at 1:23 PM. If you've added anything since then, please add it again, thanks!

German ETA folks -- did you receive an email regarding regional preference this year? I was recommended but did not receive any sort of email requesting regional preference, I simply assumed the process had changed. Can someone confirm?

German ETA folks -- did you receive an email regarding regional preference this year? I was recommended but did not receive any sort of email requesting regional preference, I simply assumed the process had changed. Can someone confirm?

The Bundesländer preferencing was in the original ETA application.

Well, for anyone looking for/needing a laugh, check out number 9 on the below Buzzfeed post. I've watched that gif at least 50 times and still can't get enough. Here's hoping none of your faces look like that when you get your long-awaited Fulbright email! :D

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/23-words-that-have-a-totally-different-meaning-in-florida

Complicaits, how do you do that? I couldn't find it.

In GMail, you go to "settings" > "forwarding". You'll then need to set up your mobile phone's email address as the address, which depends on your service carrier. You can google "Email my phone" to find out what your carrier's domain is. For AT&T, it's (your phone number)@txt.att.net, for example.

You also might have to confirm the "email", so you'll get a text to your phone with a confirmation key somewhere in it.

Then underneath that, still in the settings tab, there should be a tip saying create a filter. I went for "Fulbright" under "has the words". Create the filter, and when it prompts you what to do with it, click "Forward it to" and select your phone's email address. 

Then send yourself an email titled/containing "FULBRIGHT FULBRIGHT FULBRIGHT LOL" like I did just to test it out! ;)  If it doesn't work, check the carrier domain. An older site that I googled told me initially to use @mobile.att.net, and that didn't work.

Now when you go to the "Filters" it should be listed.

*edit: got my AT&T emails mixed up, try txt.att.net! I'm not sure if these are accurate, but here 's a big list of the email addresses

Edited by complicaits

Just got my no selection for Germany. Feeling really low. It came to my gmail, which I wasn't expecting.

Terribly sorry to read this lalakey - I will feel similarly if I am not selected for Australia. As many have said before, there is plenty to still be happy about (getting this far is an achievement in and of itself) and this one thing will not define you as a person.  

Terribly sorry to read this lalakey - I will feel similarly if I am not selected for Australia. As many have said before, there is plenty to still be happy about (getting this far is an achievement in and of itself) and this one thing will not define you as a person.  

I guess. I'm going to get my PhD so maybe I'll reapply as a scholar (or whatever the PhD level one is.) Just so confused because I thought my application was really quite good. It's just getting so tiring hearing people tell me how much potential I have and how I'm going to achieve great things, and I have nothing to show for it. I'm a singer (classically trained) and people are constantly telling me I'm the next Birgit Nilsson (very famous Germanic-style opera singer) yet I never get accepted to... anything... sigh.

Just got my no selection for Germany. Feeling really low. It came to my gmail, which I wasn't expecting.

:(  Sorry!!  I hope you have a big vat of ice cream at the ready to gourge yourself on-- that's what I always do. I know you'll end up doing something just as great, if not better. 

I guess. I'm going to get my PhD so maybe I'll reapply as a scholar (or whatever the PhD level one is.) Just so confused because I thought my application was really quite good. It's just getting so tiring hearing people tell me how much potential I have and how I'm going to achieve great things, and I have nothing to show for it. I'm a singer (classically trained) and people are constantly telling me I'm the next Birgit Nilsson (very famous Germanic-style opera singer) yet I never get accepted to... anything... sigh.

You're getting a PhD?! Personally, I think that's a pretty commendable accomplishment. Plus, you already know that you were a good enough applicant to be recommended. Don't give up yet; you're definitely on your way.

I feel like I need to pop on and remind everyone of this a little too often: While everyone is stressed out and anxious, you should be mindful of how you express yourself. The younger generation was born with an ethernet cable as an umbilical cord, and I think they forget that the internet is not anonymous. Some anxious comments are perfectly acceptable, expressing frustration is also acceptable, but expressing anger outwardly in a childish manner is not becoming of a Fulbright Scholar. Save that for your private circle of friends. You never know who could be reading what you type. 

Sorry to be a "Mom", but you never know when something you type in a moment of panic or frustration could kill your chances for a grant, fellowship, or graduate school acceptance. 

Good point. But I'd also like to point out that it's not just the younger generation. I've seen a fair number of older people on Facebook, email, and other outlets inadvertently misuse the internet. It's not just a millennial issue, despite how people like to depict it. 

That said, if anyone ever sees anything that I say that they think might be objectionable, it's perfectly acceptable to send a discreet message saying so. I'd certainly be receptive to the criticism. Better safe than sorry.