Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

You're getting a PhD?! Personally, I think that's a pretty commendable accomplishment. Plus, you already know that you were a good enough applicant to be recommended. Don't give up yet; you're definitely on your way.

Yeah, I got a full scholarship for my PhD in music. It's good but it also means a lot of struggling financially which sucks. Fulbright would have been an easier ride for sure ;) And it means I am stuck in the same city I've lived in forever which I really wanted to get out of... but here's hoping life works in mysterious ways.

I guess. I'm going to get my PhD so maybe I'll reapply as a scholar (or whatever the PhD level one is.) Just so confused because I thought my application was really quite good. It's just getting so tiring hearing people tell me how much potential I have and how I'm going to achieve great things, and I have nothing to show for it. I'm a singer (classically trained) and people are constantly telling me I'm the next Birgit Nilsson (very famous Germanic-style opera singer) yet I never get accepted to... anything... sigh.

If anyone remotely understands, I do - I am a composer. I think my proposal is quite good, but I feel like I sucked it up on the interview and have been driving myself mad thinking about it.  At the end of the day, it all boils down to their agenda and if your proposal works with what they want.

I have done well with a few things and have won a few competitions, but I don't have a ton to show for mine either.  I know several other composers who have a deep repository of awards, fellowships, etc. I'm getting my DMA and will complete it next month. I have some of the exact same concerns about what I will do after. Hey - maybe I can write you a piece and we can vent all this frustration out with it? :-) Know that my heart goes out to you, for whatever that's worth!

If anyone remotely understands, I do - I am a composer. I think my proposal is quite good, but I feel like I sucked it up on the interview and have been driving myself mad thinking about it.  At the end of the day, it all boils down to their agenda and if your proposal works with what they want.

I have done well with a few things and have won a few competitions, but I don't have a ton to show for mine either.  I know several other composers who have a deep repository of awards, fellowships, etc. I'm getting my DMA and will complete it next month. I have some of the exact same concerns about what I will do after. Hey - maybe I can write you a piece and we can vent all this frustration out with it? :-) Know that my heart goes out to you, for whatever that's worth!

Thanks, it means a lot. Composers have it about as bad as sopranos, from what I can tell. lol. I don't know what your area of composition is but I have a couple of ideas I'd love to work out with a composer someday... maybe we'll cross paths.

Thanks, it means a lot. Composers have it about as bad as sopranos, from what I can tell. lol. I don't know what your area of composition is but I have a couple of ideas I'd love to work out with a composer someday... maybe we'll cross paths.

You're welcome. I hope this doesn't get you down too long. It's totally understandable to be a bit bummed, but, as you well know, there are always other things. Honestly, I think sopranos have it worse than composers. Audition fees...accompanist fees? Anyway...

Check out my music - I'm always looking for collaborators! Do you have any sound files?

https://soundcloud.com/joellove

From what I have observed its more likely that ETA and Full Research grants went out at different times, rather than rejections and acceptances. 

Trying not to be terribly insensitive, but do you guys know if "No" answers go out first? I am still waiting to hear from Germany.

It's possible, the finals notification "nos" were sent first, which is how I had an inkling I was in the finals.

You're welcome. I hope this doesn't get you down too long. It's totally understandable to be a bit bummed, but, as you well know, there are always other things. Honestly, I think sopranos have it worse than composers. Audition fees...accompanist fees? Anyway...

Check out my music - I'm always looking for collaborators! Do you have any sound files?

https://soundcloud.com/joellove

To be totally honest, I am so used to rejection at this point that I barely have any reaction anymore. I feel slightly upset but not even as upset as I probably should be. *shrug* I've been rejected from so many things I care about that it's just... what it is. And yeah, audition fees, don't even get me started on that crap!

Thank you for the link! I will PM you my website because I don't want to post my name here.

To be totally honest, I am so used to rejection at this point that I barely have any reaction anymore. I feel slightly upset but not even as upset as I probably should be. *shrug* I've been rejected from so many things I care about that it's just... what it is. And yeah, audition fees, don't even get me started on that crap!

Thank you for the link! I will PM you my website because I don't want to post my name here.

Hi lalakey -- i was a finalist but did not receive the award when I applied a few years ago. :-/ Hoping for a different outcome this time, but I definitely feel you.

Hi lalakey -- i was a finalist but did not receive the award when I applied a few years ago. :-/ Hoping for a different outcome this time, but I definitely feel you.

Well, I didn't even get past the first round last year, so there's that :) I'll find a way I'm sure. I always do ;)

It looks like Germany ETA results usually go out between a few days and a few weeks after the research results. That won't stop me from frantically checking my email, but we probably won't hear today.

Got selected as an alternate for Germany today. Does anyone know how many people get selected as alternates vs. principal grants? I know Germany has around 80 research grants available, but haven't been able to find any statistics about how many candidates are selected as alternates.

Edited by SazeracScholar

Well, for anyone looking for/needing a laugh, check out number 9 on the below Buzzfeed post. I've watched that gif at least 50 times and still can't get enough. Here's hoping none of your faces look like that when you get your long-awaited Fulbright email! :D

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/23-words-that-have-a-totally-different-meaning-in-florida

No. 9 is also accurate, those suckers can fly and are BIG!

Yeah, it looks like someone may have gotten a little out of hand again with the editing/updating - just a heads up that I am going to revert it back to the earliest version that is not completely out of whack.  I'll let y'all know what the time on that version is in case anyone has entered new information since then, they will need to re-enter it.

Edit: OK, everything should be back to normal.  The time of the last revision that contained the correct notifications for 13/14 as well as Laos' information was yesterday, April 1 at 1:23 PM.  If you've added anything since then, please add it again, thanks!

Thanks for doing that! I thought it was just me.

Hey guys!  Thanks for your advice!  Sorry--I think I got a little lost in the messages, but I've just emailed the US Embassy guy to ask if the interview will be in khmer or English (hopefully English as my khmer would crack completely under pressure).  But also I asked with whom I'd be interviewing and I wondering what kind of questions they'd ask. I guess how my project works as a cultural bridge of sort? Or will they ask actual questions about the academic work?  I guess I could prepare both...

Thanks for those who had advice about the interviews.  Sorry this is a very stressful time for people!

Well, I didn't even get past the first round last year, so there's that :) I'll find a way I'm sure. I always do ;)

Sending you big internet hugs. You are clearly talented and are developing a strong sense of resiliency.  I hope that, like overworkedta, an amazing opportunity will present itself that you wouldn't have been able to take if on the Fulbright. It might not be the original plan, but I've found that sometimes the detours lead you to way better destinations.

I also want to thank you for inspiring me with your resiliency. You have been one of the people who has helped me to find the courage to maybe throw my hat back in the Fulbright ring for 2015-2016 if I stay an alternate this cycle.

I understand if you decide to not post on the forum anymore, but I do hope you'll come visit those of us still waiting. You are great company :)

Turkish ETA here too! Any details on this account Turkish ETA account to chat with each other? I think its a great plan :)

Nope, I have no idea! I was checking Facebook to see if there was a page set up. There's one for this year's cohort, but nothing for the upcoming year. So far I only know of two other people accepted to Turkey--you and mrgold! 

Those of you hearing from Germany today (sorry to all of those who haven't gotten it), did you apply for a research grant or ETA?

I applied for a research grant and didn't get it. Repeated rejection sucks balls, but I suppose I didn't need the Fulbright anyway. I'm already in Germany and the PI of my lab said he'll keep me on the internal payroll for another year.

Lalakey, I'm so sorry for you... I remember you from last year and I was really pulling for you. I know you don't want people to tell you to keep your head up, focus on your PhD program, etc... you can have some time to be sad and angry, that's your right and perfectly normal. But I know the sting will lessen in time, and it sounds like you still have some wonderful opportunities ahead of you. Best of luck to you.

Edited by Torrid