Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

This is quite exciting! I am also recommended for Sub-Saharan Africa.  I applied for a Full Research Grant to Ghana!!! 

There are a few more of us to SSA, I believe.  If you look at the spreadsheet, you can see everyone that is applying to countries in SSA.

Zambia looks like an amazing place.  I am doing research in Malawi for around 2 months this summer, and I was debating a short trip to Victoria Falls via Zambia.  Have you been to Zambia before?

Hurray! Now there are four of us! I know there are more who have filled out the excel sheet, but you guys are the first ones who have posted since I've been following this topic. Meupatdoes, yes I have been to Zambia twice, for about a month each time. It is a lovely country with amazing people, especially the women. What is your proposed project in Ghana?

Mine is to write the cultural & intellectual history of the Chewa in Zambia. I'm very excited about it and really really really hope I get the FB so I can carry out my project!

jrk2115, what is your proposed project in South Africa? And Maliyazi, where do you hope to teach, and what age group?

Congratulations to everyone who got grants for Germany, Spain, and Australia!! You must be dancing in the streets!

My sincere condolences to those whose projects were not chosen. I hope you continue on your life's path and find another way.

I couldn't contain myself - went ahead and did some more speculative digging: 

Application Cycle US Notification Date Day of the week Week # Day of the Year Korea Notification Date Day of the week Week # Day of the Year Time Lapse (weeks) Time Lapse (days) 2009-10         3/31/09 Tuesday 14 90     2010-11 1/29/10 Friday 4 29 4/16/10 Friday 15 106 11 77 2011-12 1/21/11 Friday 3 21 4/5/11 Tuesday 14 95 11 74 2012-13 1/19/12 Thursday 3 19 3/27/12 Tuesday 13 87 10 68 2013-14 1/18/13 Friday 3 18 3/22/13 Friday 12 81 9 63 2014-15 1/28/14 Tuesday 5 28                                                             98?       Average=>   91.8         105?                                 Average Time Lapse 10.25 70.5

So - since we are currently only 9 weeks out from US notification this year, I guess it is a bit premature to be getting in an uproar about the timing. If you take the average time lapse of 70 days and apply it to US notification this year, you get the 98th day of the year, which happens to be next Tuesday - consist with the Tuesday/Friday notification pattern. But then, if we figure for an 11 week waiting period, one might put stock in the 105th day - which would be completely consistent with the 2010-11 dates insofar as it would be 1 day earlier than they found out that year, and US notifications went out a day earlier this year.

Thoughts? 

I couldn't contain myself - went ahead and did some more speculative digging: 

Application Cycle

US Notification Date

Day of the week

Week #

Day of the Year

Korea Notification Date

Day of the week

Week #

Day of the Year

Time Lapse (weeks)

Time Lapse (days)

2009-10

3/31/09

Tuesday

2010-11

1/29/10

Friday

4/16/10

Friday

2011-12

1/21/11

Friday

4/5/11

Tuesday

2012-13

1/19/12

Thursday

3/27/12

Tuesday

2013-14

1/18/13

Friday

3/22/13

Friday

2014-15

1/28/14

Tuesday

98?

Average=>

105?

Average Time Lapse

So - since we are currently only 9 weeks out from US notification this year, I guess it is a bit premature to be getting in an uproar about the timing. If you take the average time lapse of 70 days and apply it to US notification this year, you get the 98th day of the year, which happens to be next Tuesday - consist with the Tuesday/Friday notification pattern. But then, if we figure for an 11 week waiting period, one might put stock in the 105th day - which would be completely consistent with the 2010-11 dates insofar as it would be 1 day earlier than they found out that year, and US notifications went out a day earlier this year.

Thoughts?

You're crazy. You're all crazy. LOL. Makes for a good read though. Definitely more info here than anything we would find out from good ole Johnny Akeley.

GLTA....

fh0qwrt0ud2k1a43mkhx.jpg

Wow - getting that table in here was a pain... Anyway - hopefully now my last post looks like more than scrambled gibberish. 

Edited by arigold36

That sounds really interesting.  I was hoping to put together an after school creative writing program - or contribute to an already existing one - to get the young people to shares their stories online, ideally.  Maybe if we both get accepted, we can put something together for both our schools.  I think that some Fulbrights in the past worked together to create an online journal of student work, and it sounds very rewarding for all those involved. . . . 

I have been teaching high school English for a few years now - American literature and also a rhetoric and composition course.  My FPA thought that I may have too much experience to apply for the ETA and suggested I go full research, but after a lot of deliberation I decided that I really felt more drawn to the ETA program.  I have not taught ESL specifically, but my students are VERY diverse in pretty much every way imaginable.  I think I am a little older than most ETA applicants (I'm 33), so that's my other concern.  I was so excited to be recommended - I had pretty much convinced myself that it couldn't happen, despite my genuine passion for all things Bulgarian.

As far as grad school, I am working on a second Masters.  Right after undergrad, I got an MFA in Creative Nonfiction, then I started teaching, and now I'm studying International Multicultural Education with an emphasis in Human Rights Education.  (It's a mouthful!)  I've focused half of my studies on equitable curriculum development, which is cool because I can immediately implement things into the classroom and see how it goes, and I have some good clout in my department at the high school - so now we're all teaching units on human rights :)  But the other half of my research has been focused on post-communist societies in Eastern Europe, and how the transition into capitalist democracies has impacted educational practices and social justice issues, particularly socioeconomic inequality.  Along the way, I started learning Bulgarian (inspired, in part, by some amazing Bulgarian students in my AP English class), and really fell in love with the language and history and culture.  (Have you read Vasov's "Under the Yoke"?  It's the seminal Bulgarian literary work, about a failed revolution when Bulgarians were suffering under Ottoman oppression.  I found an English translation this summer randomly when I was on a road trip at Powell's Books in Portland.  It really helped me to understand better the historical consciousness of Bulgaria.  Excuse me for going on - especially if you're already familiar with this!  Your ideas about national identity made me think of it. :) )

Anyhow - it is really so delightful to "talk" to another Bulgarian hopeful.  My friends think I'm kinda nuts for checking my email (a million) times a day. 

Again - I really hope we find out - tomorrow, ideally! - that we are accepted!!!

Your background is so ideal for an ETA in Bulgaria! If we both end up there I will definitely be hitting you up to talk about pedagogy and whatnot, and about your experiences getting an MFA; I'm seriously thinking about going in that direction myself eventually. And yes, I would love to collaborate on a creative writing program. 

Where did you hear about FISI being only for research grantees now? Looking at the participants from the current cycle I thought it included ETAs, too, but I could be mistaken.

God, another week without hearing, though. I was really looking to celebrate tonight. 

I'm mentioned earlier that I was kind of in the same boat as FingersCrossed_118. But I guess since no one really responded to me, I could interpret the same advice...

Anyway, here's my contribution/confirmation.

My assitant dean and director of post-graduate transitions personally called Jonathan Akeley today, and he phoned back and confirmed what some others have said:

Jonathan Akeley at IIE called me back.  No notification today, but he is hopeful that it will be next week.  He said that the decisions are made (!) but that they are getting clearance from State before announcing.  “Fingers crossed that it will be late next week, but don’t count your chickens before they are hatched.”

Edited by starlettmimi

Hi starlettmimi - This is my first post, but I made an account just to thank you so much for passing this information along. Today has been a really tough day for me anxiety-wise (but aren't they all at this point?), and it's calming just to hear any information at all. Do you know if this information is specific to Laos, or does it apply to Jonathan Akeley's whole East-Asia region?

I'm mentioned earlier that I was kind of in the same boat as FingersCrossed_118. But I guess since no one really responded to me, I could interpret the same advice...

My assitant dean and director of post-graduate transitions personally called Jonathan Akeley today, and he phoned back and confirmed what some others have said:

Jonathan Akeley at IIE called me back.  No notification today, but he is hopeful that it will be next week.  He said that the decisions are made (!) but that they are getting clearance from State before announcing.  “Fingers crossed that it will be late next week, but don’t count your chickens before they are hatched.”

Edited by wolk

Hi starlettmimi - This is my first post, but I made an account just to thank you so much for passing this information along. Today has been a really tough day for me anxiety-wise (but aren't they all at this point?), and it's calming just to hear any information at all. Do you know if this information is specific to Laos, or does it apply to Jonathan Akeley's whole East-Asia region?

Hey Wolk!

No problem, I just made my account not too long ago too. I totally understand how you feel, every time I hear the ding of my inbox I feel that dreaded anxiety and urgency.

The information is likely general to East-Asian region, because my assitant dean is also working with my friend who applied to Korea. We're both going after Fulbright and we also both have a Corps position in Thailand to consider as a backup. The reason my assitant dean made the call for us is because my friend and I are both on the fence of similar programs and we have a deadline of April 11th to consider.

However, I should probably note that if your country typically notifies later in previous years - it can be hard to tell. I think China and Vietnam typically notify late April, May for instance. I understand it's variable, but I think there are some trends for the Asian countries in terms of notification for the month at least.

What country did you apply for, Wolk?

Hey! I'm a finalist for the Taiwan eta. I was wondering where/from whom you heard about not getting responses for 2-3 more weeks. Also, are you referring just to Taiwan or other East Asian countries too?

Since last years response was April 2, I'm really hoping we will find out next week...

One of the other potentials posted an email that she received from Fulbright with the same information. Afterward, my Fulbright advisor also looked into it because I was trying to figure out some things and was told that we should receive notice in the next two even three weeks. One week down...heck, we might end up being notified next week. 

I'm actually running against an April 11th deadline, as well. It seems that several of us on this forum are nearing a dreaded moment of decision, one that would be incredibly difficult to make without having heard from Fulbright first. I sincerely hope for all of us that it doesn't come to that!

I applied to Malaysia (hi to the other ETA applicants on the forum! I'm finally coming out of the woodwork!) For the past 2 years, Malaysia has had a late March to early April notification date (4/2 was the date last year), so I'm keeping my finger and toes crossed that it won't be too much longer. Here's to hoping the same for Laos, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and all the other countries whose applicants are having a panic attack every time they get a new email.

Thanks again for passing on the information, and thanks for welcoming me into the Grad Cafe community! 

Hey Wolk!

No problem, I just made my account not too long ago too. I totally understand how you feel, every time I hear the ding of my inbox I feel that dreaded anxiety and urgency.

The information is likely general to East-Asian region, because my assitant dean is also working with my friend who applied to Korea. We're both going after Fulbright and we also both have a Corps position in Thailand to consider as a backup. The reason my assitant dean made the call for us is because my friend and I are both on the fence of similar programs and we have a deadline of April 11th to consider.

However, I should probably note that if your country typically notifies later in previous years - it can be hard to tell. I think China and Vietnam typically notify late April, May for instance. I understand it's variable, but I think there are some trends for the Asian countries in terms of notification for the month at least.

What country did you apply for, Wolk?

Thanks for sharing!

Sorry no one responded to you :(   I hope it works out !

Well applied for Research Award under the professional grant. Notified in second week on February I was an alternate as i was number two and they funded one, not two. At that time they stated no funding for two.. Well something fell through the cracks as funding came through and I am now selected for UK. So I was an alternate for almost two months.. See it can happen.. Next time i should of gone for grants where there are 5 or 6 selected.  Trying for one or two is hard..

Hey everyone,

I just clicked to looked at the spreadsheet and it's all gone. I don't know who it is but someone is really inconsiderate. I really wanted to see the results. There is only a single entry left. I remember someone on the forum was able to fix it and I really hope that this person can help again. Otherwise it's all lost!

Hey everyone,

I just clicked to looked at the spreadsheet and it's all gone. I don't know who it is but someone is really inconsiderate. I really wanted to see the results. There is only a single entry left. I remember someone on the forum was able to fix it and I really hope that this person can help again. Otherwise it's all lost!

It's all still there at this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AsJrSSHnssqFdHNPell4VVZwWDgtWUpQcTVVeWM0bWc&f=true&noheader=true&gid=1

Maybe that was a different spreadsheet?

One of the other potentials posted an email that she received from Fulbright with the same information. Afterward, my Fulbright advisor also looked into it because I was trying to figure out some things and was told that we should receive notice in the next two even three weeks. One week down...heck, we might end up being notified next week. 

In two or three weeks? Please tell me you meant to type within two or three weeks lol. 

Also, State Department approval? Like, I know they have to finalize our country's decisions, but do they ever actually...reject anyone at the last moment? What would ever cause someone to get an acceptance rescinded at the very last second?

There are a number of eligibility requirements that the Fulbright Board at the State Department enforces. My dad works for a State Department subsidiary, so they decided I was ineligible. I got really lucky though and managed to get a DAAD scholarship. Those eligibility requirements will get you!

Hey! I'm a finalist for the Taiwan eta. I was wondering where/from whom you heard about not getting responses for 2-3 more weeks. Also, are you referring just to Taiwan or other East Asian countries too?

Since last years response was April 2, I'm really hoping we will find out next week...

In response to your question, Yogachick, I emailed Kelly Chang, the ETA coordinator on Taiwan side of the Fulbright. She said we should hear around mid April. I don't think this necessarily means we will. But I certainly hope we hear within the next 2-3 weeks.