Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Wow. So much to cover since my little freakout/elbow accident! If I accidentally leave anyone out, Please know it is just an oversight, not an indictment of you as a person!  :-)

mmm9 and everyone else who is thinking about what we call ourselves if our projects are accepted, this is from the State Department FAQ for Fulbright. You can find it at : http://eca.state.gov/fulbright/facts-and-common-questions. By the way, this whole page is very interesting and informative.

Q. Is it appropriate for Fulbright Student Program participants to refer to themselves as "Fulbright scholars"? Do you have preferred terminology when referring to Fulbright participants?

A. Because the Fulbright Program is a scholarship program, any participant may refer to himself or herself as a "Fulbright scholar," even if that participant did not receive a Fulbright Scholar Program grant. "Fulbrighter," or a more specific grant category (e.g., "Fulbright U.S. Student," "Fulbright Visiting Scholar," "Fulbright U.S. teacher," etc.), is the preferred terminology. Fulbright Program participants may also be referred to as "Fulbright grantees" or "Fulbright fellows" regardless of program affiliation.

- See more at: http://eca.state.gov/fulbright/facts-and-common-questions#sthash.j3geRDxZ.dpuf

FingersCrossed_118, do you know if the deal that you have to buy your own plane ticket and then get reimbursed later is for all countries? Round trip airfare to Lusaka, Zamiba is around $2500, or was the last time I checked. There is no possible way I can come up with that kind of money! If my project is selected I may have to start holding car washes and selling baked goods door-to-door! Haha, but not really that funny. What do other people do to raise funds? I'm sure I'm not the only impoverished grad student here! I'm open to any ideas.

Wolk, regarding your questions about vaccinations, I think all the answers you got were good. I'd just like to add that the Department of State has an awesome travel advisory web page on their site. You can find out about all the vaccinations there. You can also sign up for "travel advisories" about any nation. You sign up and then will receive emails any time their is a new announcement having anything to do with that country and traveling there. I've been on the Zambia one since 2010. There has been a vaccination change: Yellow Fever did not used to be required or even recommended, and I believe it's required now. They'll also inform you of political happenings in your country, and really anything that could affect you as a traveler.

To the people asking about travel health insurance, I am definitely not  an expert. However, the two times I went to Zambia (about 1 month each time) I was required to purchase travel health insurance through my school (University of Washington at the time). The university ran travel insurance through HTH Worldwide, which Maliyazi mentioned in a post. It was very cheap ( I think around $39 each time) and for me it worked. I got a nasty strain of pneumonia on my first trip, a strain that is not covered by the pneumonia shot they give here in the U.S. I paid the doctor (around $200) and then was reimbursed by HTH Worldwide. For me, it went off without a hitch. That is my limited experience. I'd advise everyone to set aside some $$$ for emergencies such as that. Also, this may be interesting to everyone going to SSA-- we were advised in our orientation that if we had to get blood drawn or any type of infusion to offer the nurse/doctor $20 U.S. dollars to watch them open a new, sterile needle. I never thought of that, but I think it's very good advice.

Did anyone ever find out what happened to Eileen O'Malley? I'm curious!

Rachelrushing, AWESOME GIFS!!!  I literally, actually, really laughed out loud!

Anahid, thanks for taking one for the team! hahaha  that is so funny! 

Edited by Mozartgirl53

kdhexon: Moldova

alfred92: ETA Columbia

brain11: ETA Columbia

donthatedontkill: (A) ETA Columbia

Tifffany8: ETA Columbia

heimlich: Fogarty Malawi

Cynti: ETA Columbia

Sine: Moldova

coffee_craver: ETA Brazil

papertiger311: Research Columbia

yjc3: Research South Korea

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!  YOU DID IT!!  WOW!!!  I'M PICTURING BALLOONS BY THE THOUSANDS AND CONFETTI RAINING DOWN ON YOU!!  I KNEW YOU WOULD DO IT!!  I AM SO EXCITED, I JUST GOT UP AND DID THE HAPPY DANCE! MY DOGS AND CAT THINK I'M CRAZY, HAHA!! KDHEXON, I KNOW YOU THE BEST OF THIS GROUP AND I AM JUST TICKLED PINK THAT YOU GOT MOLDOVA! GOOD NEWS FOR ONE OF US IS GOOD NEWS FOR ALL OF US!! I SERIOUSLY WISH, WHETHER MY PROJECT IS FUNDED OR NOT, THAT WE COULD ALL SOMEHOW COME TOGETHER FOR A BBQ OR SOMETHING! ANYONE WHO LIVES OR CAN TRAVEL TO SPOKANE, WA IS WELCOME TO STOP AT MY PLACE!!!   WHOO WHOO!!!  SO HAPPY TO SEE GOOD NEWS AFTER DAYS OF NO NOTIFICATIONS! THE DAM HAS BROKEN.... C'MON NOTIFICATIONS!!!!!

Edited by Mozartgirl53

birb234, raymondnorth, eatyourgreens, and anyone who got the dreaded (NS) letter, I am truly sorry. Truly. I've been thinking of what I would want people to say if I get that letter, but I really don't know. So I'll just say I'm sorry and remind you of the tremendous accomplishment of being recommended. That demonstrates they thought your project is a good one; they simply don't have the funding to do all of them. raymondnorth, I was pulling for you! Columbia is missing out on a great English teacher! eatyourgreens, you definitely have something to lessen the sting: Dual MPH/JD program is not for beginners! Good for you! I know you'll have a positive effect in public health whether in Peru or elsewhere; don't give up! Get that/those degrees! birb234, I don't really know you well, but I agree with everyone here that some good volunteer work in literacy would reflect positively on your application, and I don't think there's such a thing as "too much." Go get 'em next year!

If I have missed anyone on the congratulations or condolences, it is purely an oversight on my part. I really do root for each and every one of you!

And thus ends my day. :) Thanks all for letting me "catch up." I'm off to bed (almost 2 AM here in the great pacific northwest). I'm going to sleep in and then when I wake up....who knows?  Good night all! 

And thus ends my day. :) Thanks all for letting me "catch up." I'm off to bed (almost 2 AM here in the great pacific northwest). I'm going to sleep in and then when I wake up....who knows?  Good night all! 

I am glad you are feeling better and that your elbow is healing :)  Really hoping that you get it - you've been so supportive to everyone on this forum, and your project sounds amazing.  Fingers crossed!!

Alternates, don't lose hope! I was originally an (A) for the Taiwan ETA program, but additional funding became available within a week of finding out. With that, Taiwan ETAs - hello! Let's talk.

Thank you for sharing your story :) Hope is appreciated.

kdhexon: Moldova

alfred92: ETA Columbia

brain11: ETA Columbia

donthatedontkill: (A) ETA Columbia

Tifffany8: ETA Columbia

heimlich: Fogarty Malawi

Cynti: ETA Columbia

Sine: Moldova

coffee_craver: ETA Brazil

papertiger311: Research Columbia

yjc3: Research South Korea

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!  YOU DID IT!!  WOW!!!  I'M PICTURING BALLOONS BY THE THOUSANDS AND CONFETTI RAINING DOWN ON YOU!!  I KNEW YOU WOULD DO IT!!  I AM SO EXCITED, I JUST GOT UP AND DID THE HAPPY DANCE! MY DOGS AND CAT THINK I'M CRAZY, HAHA!! KDHEXON, I KNOW YOU THE BEST OF THIS GROUP AND I AM JUST TICKLED PINK THAT YOU GOT MOLDOVA! GOOD NEWS FOR ONE OF US IS GOOD NEWS FOR ALL OF US!! I SERIOUSLY WISH, WHETHER MY PROJECT IS FUNDED OR NOT, THAT WE COULD ALL SOMEHOW COME TOGETHER FOR A BBQ OR SOMETHING! ANYONE WHO LIVES OR CAN TRAVEL TO SPOKANE, WA IS WELCOME TO STOP AT MY PLACE!!!   WHOO WHOO!!!  SO HAPPY TO SEE GOOD NEWS AFTER DAYS OF NO NOTIFICATIONS! THE DAM HAS BROKEN.... C'MON NOTIFICATIONS!!!!!

Oh wow! haha.. Thank you so much! I'm still really shocked they just realized that they didn't have your transcript, when I was notified back in late February. I'm sending nothing but good vibes your way and hope that you (and everyone else waiting!) get some good news soon!!!

I am just completing my MPH and loved it! Excited that you have another amazing opportunity lined up and that your kitty will be able to keep you company :)

NS for Peru Full Research Grant. Oh well! Upward and onward. Going to graduate school for an MPH/JD dual degree, so I have great stuff to look forward to. And I don't have to give away my cat for a year! Things work out. 

PS to folks who are waiting-- the message was actually in my spam! It came in on April 17th but I didn't see it until I searched through my junk mail this evening.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting! Y'all seem like extraordinary folks and I am sending you all good vibes for P notifications and great years abroad. :)

Hey y'all, first time poster but long time lurker. I applied to Croatia (I know there are a few other Balkans people out there!). I actually heard from my school that they have already received notification of my status but I have not. So I went to go email Eileen O'Malley to ask for an update and when I got to the website I realized she apparently no longer works there and is not the PM for Europe. Any one know what's up with this? Anyone think this shift in staff might be part of the hold up?

Maybe she got promoted or moved to another study abroad program?

Hi everyone!

First off, no I haven't heard yet on Zambia. They are waiting on my official transcript. I got an email today from transcript national clearing house informing me it had been sent out. I payed for overnight express (once it got out) and therefore I'm really hoping Jermaine gets it tomorrow. I think it will be Thursday at the very latest. After my panic attack the other day (the only one I've ever had), I needed to step away for a day or so and calm myself down. Frankly, I'm embarrassed out how badly I freaked out over a missing transcript! I think it was that I (hopefully) accept a (NS) if better projects or applicants were to be the reason. What freaked me out was the idea that an oversight by the clearing house for transcripts could trip me up. However, I do believe now that will not be the case. I've had a couple of very personable emails from Jermaine, including when I emailed him today saying the transcript was in the mail, and it's clear to me now that it is just a procedural thing...no matter which way it goes, it will not be because someone messed up on mailing the transcript out. Jermaine thanked me again for taking care of it so quickly and said he and his colleagues will be an eye out for it. So I'm guessing (hoping?) they'll send my notification once they have their i's dotted and t's crossed.

After recovering from my emotional trauma (haha), I injured my elbow and haven't been able to type until tonight! I probably shouldn't be now, but I didn't want you guys to think I had dropped out of sight.

Here's to finding out tomorrow!!!  And you guys in this forum, I have decided, will be the FIRST to know! You have all been so incredibly supportive and you are the people who really, really get it, meaning we have all shared this thrilling, exasperating roller coaster.

GnosisExchange, jrk2115, rosecoyote, and every one of you beautiful colleagues who have become friends... THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART! You have no idea how good it feels to read your notes of encouragement! It is because of you that I have not gone completely insane throughout this process. I have really come to love our little group and actually will be a little sad once all the notifications are in and we go our separate ways, for some of us until Fulbright 2015 forum gets started, and for others of us, off to grad school or work or to far-flung places to carry out our research and teaching. I hope people will come back here during the next year and post updates; I know that I, for one, am very interested to hear about how we're all doing!

Thanks again for your tremendous support, and not just to me but to everyone in the forum! I think we're all better people from going through this experience together.

Sorry to hear about your elbow! Can't imagine not being able to type as a grad student :/

However, happy to hear that the transcript situation should be taken care of. We are waiting here with pom-poms and bated breaths for your (hopefully good) news.

Whatever the outcome, I agree with you 100% that we're all better people for doing this process together. I know that it has meant so much to me to read all of your encouraging comments, especially on days when nothing was going well.

Hey y'all, first time poster but long time lurker. I applied to Croatia (I know there are a few other Balkans people out there!). I actually heard from my school that they have already received notification of my status but I have not. So I went to go email Eileen O'Malley to ask for an update and when I got to the website I realized she apparently no longer works there and is not the PM for Europe. Any one know what's up with this? Anyone think this shift in staff might be part of the hold up?

You said your school knows your status.. does that mean that your school knows whether you were officially selected? 

Sending good vibes to all of the officials this week... It'd be great to get final notification the week of my birthday. Even if it's NS I could move on with my life as I'm finishing up an MFA and am trying to figure out what my hubs and I will do next (Fulbright, look for local jobs, look for national jobs). When there's this much transition happening, it's kind of fun to realize that I don't even know where I'll be four months from now... And by fun I mean this much indecision triggers my anxiety and obsessive habits of angry cleaning...

tumblr_n0tany1Dal1rzik3go1_500.gif

Yes, so I have unofficially heard my status which is driving me insane because they got notification over a week ago and I'm still waiting!!

That kind of makes me want to ask them, however I'm nervous that I wasn't selected, and would rather hear it from IEE.

That's AMAZING!!! Congratulations!! ^___^

How did you find out?

Just an email saying I was selected. It was kind of odd everything i've read before about Alternates being upgraded were emails and phone calls. Seems like some more money became available somehow. I hope you get an email soon as well!

Hi all - LONG time lurker here. (P) for ETA to Senegal!

Though you didn't know it, you all were a great support network for me through the wait! A special shout out to my SSP folks: congrats to those who got it, and for those that did not I'm so confident you will make it where you'd like to go! You're all incredible for even having made it this far. 

Hope to meet some of you at orientation / around the world! 

Just an email saying I was selected. It was kind of odd everything i've read before about Alternates being upgraded were emails and phone calls. Seems like some more money became available somehow. I hope you get an email soon as well!

Well at least they were direct about it :) Who did the email come from and what was the subject line (want to make sure if I do receive an email it doesn't get lost).

I hope I can be promoted too, it would be great to meet you and Neurona in person!

Well at least they were direct about it :) Who did the email come from and what was the subject line (want to make sure if I do receive an email it doesn't get lost).

I hope I can be promoted too, it would be great to meet you and Neurona in person!

Email was from: Cdoble@iie.org and heading was "Your Fulbright Application" ------ I didn't really believe it at first but they copied my program advisor as well. She found out the same time as I did. 

Email was from: Cdoble@iie.org and heading was "Your Fulbright Application" ------ I didn't really believe it at first but they copied my program advisor as well. She found out the same time as I did. 

Thank you for sharing :) This is amazing news, but going to have to resist refreshing my email every 30 seconds today.

Edited by olioliwoo