Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Hey all,

Did anyone else who's been selected as a principal candidate get a save the date email that starts like this:

"Dear Candidate:

You were recently notified that you have been recommended for further consideration for a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) Award. In the event that you are confirmed as a grantee, you will be required to attend a mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation in Washington, D.C. "

I'm assuming this is a mass email and that's why it sounds like grant status isn't yet confirmed? It's sort of freaked me out, so if someone could be a voice of reason, that would be wonderful. I'm still a P, right?

Thank you!

Hey all,

Did anyone else who's been selected as a principal candidate get a save the date email that starts like this:

"Dear Candidate:

You were recently notified that you have been recommended for further consideration for a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) Award. In the event that you are confirmed as a grantee, you will be required to attend a mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation in Washington, D.C. "

I'm assuming this is a mass email and that's why it sounds like grant status isn't yet confirmed? It's sort of freaked me out, so if someone could be a voice of reason, that would be wonderful. I'm still a P, right?

Thank you!

I think someone posted an email like that about a month and a half back. I think maybe your country was just delayed in sending it out. If it said you were a preferred candidate, there is really no reason to think other wise. If you are really worried, ask.  

Hey all,

"Dear Candidate:

Thank you!

I received the same email about two weeks ago. However, I'm still waiting on a notification as to whether I've been selected or not. I don't think you have anything to worry about if you've already received the P. I think it's safe to say you're in for sure.

Hey all,

"Dear Candidate:

Thank you!

Hi traveler_5563, you're safe. I got my email, which began, "We have been informed you are the recipient of a Fulbright grant to SubSaharan Africa..." and gave info about the mandatory info session in June. But the letter also said, "If you are a selected candidate, you will receive a formal invitation later this spring..." The funny thing is I received this email almost 30 minutes before I got the actual award email! (I didn't see either until later in the afternoon due to a nap.) these are obviously form letters that could use a little editing.

To those still waiting... Happy May!

Oh lawd...lets cross our fingers and hope we don't have to see a day when you say "happy june!" to those still waiting. 

Congratulations you guys!!!!!!! So excited for you :D

Donthatedontkill, your gif reminded me of this song "Suddenly (It Happens to You)" from a Cinderella musical, "The Slipper and the Rose."

Suddenly, suddenly it happens and the dream comes true,

Wonderfully, beautifully it happens and your world is new,

Magically, you're holding the golden prize,

Mystically, your castles begin to rise,

Suddenly, dizzily you're spinning with the thrill of life,

Suddenly, thirstily you're drinking in your fill of life,

But secretly you just can't believe it's true,

When wonderfully, beautifully!

Suddenly it happens to you.

P.S. If you haven't done so already, don't forget to put both the A and P dates in the "notification date" column on the spreadsheet. Keep the A to P dream alive for 2015-2016!!!

Nice! I'm dying to see it turn back all back and that girl's wearing a mop for hair. Hahaha :-)

Has anyone received more information yet? Or know about when that happens? My email pretty much just told me I was accepted and that I'd hear from another group of people later about specific dates and so forth. I'm dying to tell my job what my last day will be. (It's from 11pm-7am proofreading financial documents in a windowless office. It's about as sexy and stimulating as it sounds.)

Oh lawd...lets cross our fingers and hope we don't have to see a day when you say "happy june!" to those still waiting.

I didn't consider that a possibility. It can't be a possibility. I'm thinking definitely today or tomorrow. Lawdy, lawdy!

Thanks everyone. This forum has been wonderful. I wasn't joking about getting towed. When i got the NS, i parked in a random parking lot and ran crying to my adviser's office. We i walked back, my car was gone. $390 bucks to get it back. You know what though, it meant nothing. I am starting to realize that i just need to reapply, have better options, and use this as a maturing experience. It hurts, but, as you all have said, we are passionate people. I can get back up. For all the NS, life goes on. :)

Here's to 2015-2016

So, so sorry miri1776.  I know the mantra we tell ourselves is so often "these things happen for a reason," but sometimes they don't, and it's often healthier to not try to rationalize every single thing but simply find a way to cope for now and be stronger in the future.  I know I sort of fell into this meaning-making way of thinking last week when I got the NS for Colombia while on a campus visit to my graduate program at Indiana and found myself saying that it was serendipity that I had had such a pleasant time there.  I think it had a lot to do with some other things I was trying to cope with - just a few days before that a friend passed away completely unexpectedly from a random infection that started with an innocuous cough, and the next day I was driving 11 hours to her memorial service.  To try to make meaning out of these things would be silly, but a week and a half later I feel like I have a ton more perspective, my priorities are clearer, and my future more certain.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I too was rooting for you, and will continue to do so for 2015-16.  I'm gonna back off from Fulbright for a few years while I get my feet set at Indiana, but I should be ready to go back to the drawing boards for 2016-17.

Best wishes, stay strong everyone.

Has anyone received more information yet? Or know about when that happens? My email pretty much just told me I was accepted and that I'd hear from another group of people later about specific dates and so forth. I'm dying to tell my job what my last day will be. (It's from 11pm-7am proofreading financial documents in a windowless office. It's about as sexy and stimulating as it sounds.)

I can't imagine why you would wanna leave such a sexy job ( :)) but maybe you can try contacting the PM for your region? She might not know the exact start date, but maybe she could give you a ball park based on previous years. Worth a try!

Nice! I'm dying to see it turn back all back and that girl's wearing a mop for hair. Hahaha :-)

Lol that would have been great! It's unfortunately not that cool, but there's a nice song associated with it:

I think this will unfortunately be the case for the alternates, but let's hope everyone has at least heard back at least once before then.

So, so sorry miri1776.  I know the mantra we tell ourselves is so often "these things happen for a reason," but sometimes they don't, and it's often healthier to not try to rationalize every single thing but simply find a way to cope for now and be stronger in the future.  I know I sort of fell into this meaning-making way of thinking last week when I got the NS for Colombia while on a campus visit to my graduate program at Indiana and found myself saying that it was serendipity that I had had such a pleasant time there.  I think it had a lot to do with some other things I was trying to cope with - just a few days before that a friend passed away completely unexpectedly from a random infection that started with an innocuous cough, and the next day I was driving 11 hours to her memorial service.  To try to make meaning out of these things would be silly, but a week and a half later I feel like I have a ton more perspective, my priorities are clearer, and my future more certain.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I too was rooting for you, and will continue to do so for 2015-16.  I'm gonna back off from Fulbright for a few years while I get my feet set at Indiana, but I should be ready to go back to the drawing boards for 2016-17.

Best wishes, stay strong everyone.

Raymondnorth, I'm so sorry to hear of everything you've had thrown at you recently (minus the graduate school news). I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like to juggle all of them at once.

However, I'm glad that you feel you have grown from the experience and that your perspective and priorities are clearer. I know that these things will serve you well in grad school and hopefully when you are ready to go through the Fulbright process again.

Huma and Hina, aaaaaccccckkkk! There are still a few hours left today... remember that some people (like me and I think GE too) have gotten our notifications in the evening; I think up to 8:30 PM EDT. This waiting must be so intense! Hang in there everybody!

Thanks Mozartgirl53!  In a strange way, the wait is now less intense... I have been in high-expectation mode for so long that it (the anxiety) has worn away. I'm able to focus on work now (thank goodness, I have over 20 papers to grade today) and I think I will actually be surprised if/when I DO receive the notification email. Murphy's Law - now that I'm not constantly refreshing this forum page and my email, I will get notification soon...

Thanks Mozartgirl53!  In a strange way, the wait is now less intense... I have been in high-expectation mode for so long that it (the anxiety) has worn away. I'm able to focus on work now (thank goodness, I have over 20 papers to grade today) and I think I will actually be surprised if/when I DO receive the notification email. Murphy's Law - now that I'm not constantly refreshing this forum page and my email, I will get notification soon...

I'm in the exact same phase. News will come when it comes. 

NS :(

It's ok, it happens. At least I tried and got this far. I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason, and maybe it's just not the right time for me to be moving abroad again right now. I had been moving around to different countries for the last two years and a tiny part of me wasn't completely ready to move again right now. I just started a new job in January and kinda wanted to stay here for a while before I move abroad again. 

Anyway, I'll probably be reapplying this coming cycle and apply for grad school as well. Olioliwoo, I think I'll join you and start the application process again now.

CONGRATS to everyone selected!!!  

It's ok, it happens. At least I tried and got this far. I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason, and maybe it's just not the right time for me to be moving abroad again right now. I had been moving around to different countries for the last two years and a tiny part of me wasn't completely ready to move again right now. I just started a new job in January and kinda wanted to stay here for a while before I move abroad again. 

Anyway, I'll probably be reapplying this coming cycle and apply for grad school as well. Olioliwoo, I think I'll join you and start the application process again now.

OH no! I am so sorry Hina!   :wacko:  I was rooting for you. I am glad that you will re-apply while you enjoy your current job and enjoy the comfort of (temporary) locational stability for a moment (it's a luxury in a way).   

Bangladesh - it's the same Fulbright region as Central Asia, so I wonder if TerraFirma, Kj, and I will be notified today...

Sorry to hear Hina! It sounds like you're in a good place though in more ways than one. :) Love that y'all are already getting the ball rolling again. Good luck with take two; second time's a charm. 

OH no! I am so sorry Hina!   :wacko:  I was rooting for you. I am glad that you will re-apply while you enjoy your current job and enjoy the comfort of (temporary) locational stability for a moment (it's a luxury in a way).   

Bangladesh - it's the same Fulbright region as Central Asia, so I wonder if TerraFirma, Kj, and I will be notified today...

I've been wondering the same.  :blink: Unlike you, I'm constantly updating and on edge, all my other responsibilities have taken a back seat. A month ago, I was collected but now, I am not.  :wacko:

Good luck to everyone still waiting!! Really quick question- I know people have discussed health insurance in previous posts, but I'm still unclear if Fulbright provides health coverage for us or if we need to also buy additional health insurance? I'll be at ETA in Colombia and any insight would be greatly appreciated :) If we do need to buy our own health insurance, which ones are people getting?

Thank you!

Good luck to everyone still waiting!! Really quick question- I know people have discussed health insurance in previous posts, but I'm still unclear if Fulbright provides health coverage for us or if we need to also buy additional health insurance? I'll be at ETA in Colombia and any insight would be greatly appreciated :) If we do need to buy our own health insurance, which ones are people getting?

Thank you!

They encourage you to have your own health insurance, as the health & accident benfits they offer is not the same as "health insurance":

The U.S. Department of State has established health and accident benefits for all Fulbright Fellows. The Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges (ASPE) is a basic policy and as stated in the U.S. Fellows Orientation Handbook, it is not a substitute for your private health benefits coverage. It is not intended to cover long-term health care and has limitations in coverage. For this reason, you are encouraged to maintain your current policy or to obtain comprehensive health insurance coverage to offset the cost of major medical contingencies that may occur when you are abroad, to cover you if you travel outside of the host country, and/or to provide you with immediate coverage when you return to the U.S.

Here is the link for this information: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/current-fulbrighters/health-benefits-summary

Aw thanks, Huma. I appreciate that. I've been pretty sad all day but you're right, all the traveling was draining and it's nice to be in one place for a bit with a job that I enjoy. Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though! Hope you get good news soon!! :)