Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

8pm?! That sounds horrible! There is no point in figuring it out :/

It does seem notifications are going out later and later. My own arrived around 4:45-ish, so it wasn't too ridiculous; but, it seems like many people have posted that they have been notified pretty late in the day. My guess is that they are aware that notifications are ridiculously late this year and so they are just sending them out as soon as they can--even if that's late-ish.

Edited by GnosisExchange

It does seem notifications are going out later and later. My own arrived around 4:45-ish, so it wasn't too ridiculous; but, it seems like many people have posted that they have been notified pretty late in the day. My guess is that they are aware that notifications are ridiculously late this year and so they are just sending them out as soon as they can--even if that's late-ish.

What a good outlook! It's nice to know that there are humans working for Fulbright and not robots who email automated messages.

My roommate told me earlier today, "you seem to be handling the wait well." HAHAHA! She is lucky that I have this forum or I would have lost it months ago. How did people endure the wait before the internet?!

Going back a few pages to the whole living-in-a-country-for-a-certain-amount-of-time question. Just for reference, I got the Spain research Fulbright.

I just checked the Spain page, and it looks like it's been totally revamped, at least for the research award (but probably the others as well)! They've clarified a few things and removed a rather silly requirement which I didn't even do on my application ("include all contact you have had with your affiliator"). The descriptions are different from when I applied this year too. Also, looking at the numbers, huge HUGE cutback on total amount of Spain grants next year. :( Going from 27 research/study grants to 22 (which includes the 4 specific Masters grants) and going from 58 ETAs to 41, which are *only* in Madrid now, rather than being in Madrid and another region (can't remember, but I think the ratio was 41:17, so that region just got totally cut).

Back to the question at hand, I've never been to Spain and got the research award, but I do have a background that lends itself to working well in my proposed Fulbright environment. Speaking of, all the finalists at my uni who HAD been to their target country were either rejected or made alternates (I don't know which because those decisions aren't officially released by the school). But then again, n = "very low" for that observation.

And congrats to all the other recipients (especially mozartgirl - you keep this thread bumping!) and continued best wishes for the alternates and condolences for the non-selects!

My roommate told me earlier today, "you seem to be handling the wait well." HAHAHA! She is lucky that I have this forum or I would have lost it months ago. How did people endure the wait before the internet?!

When I applied the first time (4 years ago) they were still MAILING all notifications out. I was so happy when I realized they've switched to email...and then I wasn't as happy as every ding and chime on my phone made me jump. Hang in there! 

Going back a few pages to the whole living-in-a-country-for-a-certain-amount-of-time question. Just for reference, I got the Spain research Fulbright.

I just checked the Spain page, and it looks like it's been totally revamped, at least for the research award (but probably the others as well)! They've clarified a few things and removed a rather silly requirement which I didn't even do on my application ("include all contact you have had with your affiliator"). The descriptions are different from when I applied this year too. Also, looking at the numbers, huge HUGE cutback on total amount of Spain grants next year. :( Going from 27 research/study grants to 22 (which includes the 4 specific Masters grants) and going from 58 ETAs to 41, which are *only* in Madrid now, rather than being in Madrid and another region (can't remember, but I think the ratio was 41:17, so that region just got totally cut).

Back to the question at hand, I've never been to Spain and got the research award, but I do have a background that lends itself to working well in my proposed Fulbright environment. Speaking of, all the finalists at my uni who HAD been to their target country were either rejected or made alternates (I don't know which because those decisions aren't officially released by the school). But then again, n = "very low" for that observation.

And congrats to all the other recipients (especially mozartgirl - you keep this thread bumping!) and continued best wishes for the alternates and condolences for the non-selects!

Oh my god, you're right, that's insane!!!! Wow, now it's going to be extremely competitive...!!!! I feel terrible for the next round of applicants to Spain...!!! the other region is Cantabria/Santander...I can't believe they got rid of it completely :( That's too bad...!!

Oh my god, you're right, that's insane!!!! Wow, now it's going to be extremely competitive...!!!! I feel terrible for the next round of applicants to Spain...!!! the other region is Cantabria/Santander...I can't believe they got rid of it completely :( That's too bad...!!

I just checked for my country and Korea decreased the ETA's by 10 (from 80 to 70). It's still a big program, but considering that it always has 250+ applicants it is a major decrease. Apparently there was also a decrease in research since the total for 2014 in statistics seems to be 35. While 35 is higher than previous years (around 20) that is also because Korea added an entirely new program this year with about 10 grants for graduate degrees in Korean studies.The sum of the new program and the traditional research grants for Korea next year will be 30. Looks like we are seeing the budget cuts in action. I feel so bad for next year's applicants.

Apparently the dinner I was invited to also includes recommended people who haven't been notified at all. Sigh. False alarm, ladies and gents.

Oh man! Was the food free at least?! I'm right there with you! :) too bad we all can't have lunch and vent in person!

So I checked the Fulbright page to see how many people applied for my grant since I did not receive it and was curious. Apparently the grants given to this cycle were cut from 2 to 1 AND they had double the amount of people apply. I guess I can feel a bit better.

Edited by Horb

Well, I guess no one got notified today? Bummer. I hope all those still waiting hear tomorrow or for sure this week!

Interesting that some cuts are already in place for next year. It's very difficult to tell with research/study grants in SubSaharan Africa, because they don't have a specific country quota anymore. And they don't state what the total number for the region is either. SSA still hasn't updated their stats for the current cycle--so we know how many applied to each country but we don't know yet how many awards were given. A little frustrating, to say the least!

So I checked the Fulbright page to see how many people applied for my grant since I did not receive it and was curious. Apparently the grants given to this cycle were cut from 2 to 1 AND they had double the amount of people apply. I guess I can feel a bit better.

Horb, what country did you apply to? Only one grant-- wow. Will you apply again next year?

Well, I wrote a letter to my US Senators a month ago regarding my concerns about the potential Fulbright budget cuts, and one personally wrote back today. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Good for you, Neurovivor! I will do the same-- it's on my list for tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration! If we all start writing NOW, maybe we can at least decrease the amount of cuts?

This is a bad policy decision, in my opinion. ANYTHING that helps Americans make friends overseas should be at the TOP of the list, not at the bottom awaiting execution!

Apparently the dinner I was invited to also includes recommended people who haven't been notified at all. Sigh. False alarm, ladies and gents.

Ack Sirskipsalot! Bummer. Are you going?

I received a ETA grant for Taiwan, but my boyfriend applied to a research one in Kyiv, so I can't wait to hear either! I don't have your level of stress but I sometimes feel like I am almost as nervous. The odds are definitely um, ever in your favor.  ^_^ So few applicants! 

Glad I could help to alleviate any stress!! I pressed Yeng to tell me more about the IIE's take of the crisis but she just repeated "no plans to cancel at this time" but could change and they will notify everyone as soon as they make that decision, if they make that decision. 

ahhh congratulations!!!!!  I hope your boyfriend receives good news from Ukraine!  What does he plan to do in Ukraine?

I like the Hunger Games reference! :)

Well, all of that sounds mighty depressing. :( Thanks for the info, though!

I think our thread needs a happy boost! Can our tech savvy friends upload some awesome memes or gifs! I think we might need some :)

What is a gif?  I have never heard of that abbreviation/acronym before.

Edited by Shogun1

I just checked for my country and Korea decreased the ETA's by 10 (from 80 to 70). It's still a big program, but considering that it always has 250+ applicants it is a major decrease. Apparently there was also a decrease in research since the total for 2014 in statistics seems to be 35. While 35 is higher than previous years (around 20) that is also because Korea added an entirely new program this year with about 10 grants for graduate degrees in Korean studies.The sum of the new program and the traditional research grants for Korea next year will be 30. Looks like we are seeing the budget cuts in action. I feel so bad for next year's applicants.

nooooo.................. jglplatesmash.gif

AWESOME! Pure Awesome! Thanks everyone!  I hope this positive energy helps us with grants. I hope people applying next year don't get discouraged by the budget cuts. Yes the budget cuts are sad, but the grant will be ten times more prestigious. I'm just trying to find the light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by miri1776