Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I would be applying for a research grant, not ETA.  Like you, Mozartgirl, I would think that my previous history in the country will actually position me well to hit the ground running, but I understand, too, that they want to give people the chance to travel who may not have done so previously.  In total, I've lived in Spain for about 15 months (4 months study abroad; 9 months teaching; and 2 months add'l travel time).  I just would hate to go through the entire application process if I know that my previous history in the country is a disqualifier....

I would be applying for a research grant, not ETA.  Like you, Mozartgirl, I would think that my previous history in the country will actually position me well to hit the ground running, but I understand, too, that they want to give people the chance to travel who may not have done so previously.  In total, I've lived in Spain for about 15 months (4 months study abroad; 9 months teaching; and 2 months add'l travel time).  I just would hate to go through the entire application process if I know that my previous history in the country is a disqualifier....

As Mozartgirl mentioned, you could work your experience into your essays in your favor. You're previous experience shows you have a deep interest in the country. Was your time in Spain recent? Are you living there now? I have a friend who received a research Fulbright for Mexico and he grew up in Tijuana most of his life. Living in Tijuana didn't hurt his chances at all.

To chime in here, there's a few of my fellow Spain ETA/Research grantees who have spent time in spain (more than 3 months) and they got the Fulbright. Like Miri1776 said, it's not the amount of time that hurts you--it really comes down to a lot of things such as the research topic, politics within US-Spain bureaucracy, relevance, etc. I would suggest contacting Neurovivor who most recently got the research grant to Spain. Since I got the ETA grant I wouldn't be of too much help except with general advice. Buena suerte!

The advice given to me was from my adviser. He serves on the national screening committee for his specialty. He said it varies from year to year, but for research grants they don't mind if a student spent an extended period of time in the host country. He did say that it is frowned upon for a "research" fulbright applicant to apply if they are already living in the host country. The assumption is that, if the student is already there, why do they need fulbright to send them there.

He noted that when the committee is screening applicants, it is a plus if a student has traveled to the country. Since the student has already conducted preliminary research at X, the student has a better chance of completing the project with a fulbright. Previous trips shows that you have already exhausted all resources available in the U.S. and understand what is available in the host country.

This info, however, is for the research fulbright. I don't know too well how the ETA works.

I hope this helps/makes sense. I feel that my adviser is a pretty reliable source. He even said that some scholars on the screening committee were weeding out applicants who didn't care to list how they would participate and give back to the host country.

That's actually really interesting, miri1776. When I was considering applying for my research grant to Bangladesh, I was worried about the time I had spent there as well (about 3 months doing research). I asked the Program Manager for my region who told me more than 6 months in the country (excluding study abroad) is frowned upon. And while listening to the webinars, it seemed like they emphasized they didn't want you to have had too much experience in the country. But as you said, your contact seems like a very reliable source, esp if he's on the screening committee. Just weird there's mixed info coming from the Program Manager/webinars and a member of the screening committee. 

Actually it is not a good idea to apply for ETA to a host country you have previously spent significant amount of time in (more than 6 months). When I was applying for ETA to Kenya, my FPA (served on the national committee) told me I was most likely to get an Alternate since I previously spent a significant amount of time in the country. When I applied for the grant, I had just returned back from conducting summer research there. He actually advised me to apply for ETA to Rwanda instead. Due to my stubbornness, I decided to take my chances. I was selected Alternate last week.

So basically, it is good to show a connection to a host country, however, a stay longer than 6 months could hurt your chances.

Edited by Maliyazi

Congrats to all who applied to Fulbright Program and got accepted to it!!!!! 

I applied for Fulbright ETA South Korea and was NS. I am however going to be going to graduate school in the Fall, studying Higher and Postsecondary Education. I was wondering if anyone would recommend I apply again as a graduate student?  I just don't want to be rejected again :(

Hi ajcho. Sorry if this annoys you, but if you don't mind me asking, why Korea? I'm curious since you are obviously interested in postsecondary education. I ask since Korea only has ETAs in elementary and secondary schools while other countries have ETAs in higher ed. Sorry, this just really caught my attention. One of the reasons I ask if that maybe that could be something to consider when deciding whether or not to apply again....?

That's actually really interesting, miri1776. When I was considering applying for my research grant to Bangladesh, I was worried about the time I had spent there as well (about 3 months doing research). I asked the Program Manager for my region who told me more than 6 months in the country (excluding study abroad) is frowned upon. And while listening to the webinars, it seemed like they emphasized they didn't want you to have had too much experience in the country. But as you said, your contact seems like a very reliable source, esp if he's on the screening committee. Just weird there's mixed info coming from the Program Manager/webinars and a member of the screening committee. 

I thought it was strange too. Especially because of my friend who grew up in Mexico most all his life and then gets a research grant to Mexico. I think everyone forgets that the screening committee are researchers. They really care more about your research. It felt good to know some of the professors at my school participate in the screening process. I think, at this point, we can all find bits of information, but it is different every year.

Remember, everyone, we are only talking about the research fulbright.

I get the feeling that the ETA process favors people who have little experience abroad.

Hi miri1776, Spainbound15, and japaniia!  Interesting conversation! Your FPA sounds like he's pretty great, miri1776! Since he's actually been on the screening committee, he is one of the few people privy to the selection experience! We can all talk about our own personal experience, but it's nice to hear from someone who's actually been in on the process. One of my former professors, now an emeritus, who has had two Fulbright Scholar grants, told me the same thing about weeding out applicants who don't talk about what they will give back to the country they will be in, above and beyond the Fulbright work itself. Spainbound15, I agree you can use your time in Spain by framing all the ways those times have prepared you for this time. japanii, thanks for the inside scoop! It's very difficult to be a Monday morning quarterback and try to divine how decisions are made, what makes a particular screener toss this project but keep that one? I totally understand why they do not give a reason a particular project isn't funded (or even why they were chosen), but it's frustrating at the same time.

As Mozartgirl mentioned, you could work your experience into your essays in your favor. You're previous experience shows you have a deep interest in the country. Was your time in Spain recent? Are you living there now? I have a friend who received a research Fulbright for Mexico and he grew up in Tijuana most of his life. Living in Tijuana didn't hurt his chances at all.

Hey Spainbound,

The first time I applied for Fulbright, their website stated that all student applicants couldn't have spent more than 6 months in the country to which they're applying. Now, a few years later, they've changed it to this: "Note: For most grants, applicants who have had extensive previous foreign experience are at a disadvantage, but are not necessarily disqualified for that reason. However, following the policy of the relevant binational Fulbright Commission or the U.S. Embassy in the host country, an application to the following countries will not be considered if the applicant is currently residing in or will be residing in that country during the year preceding the grant:

Australia Hungary Mongolia Sweden

Belgium Indonesia Morocco Switzerland

Cambodia Israel Netherlands Taiwan

Canada Jordan Norway Thailand

Chile Korea New Zealand United Kingdom

China Laos Philippines Uruguay

EU Member States for EU Grants Luxembourg Portugal Vietnam

Finland Macau Singapore

France Malaysia Slovenia

Hong Kong Mexico South Pacific Island Nations

On the subject of how much time you can spend in a country to be considered competitive for the grant...

As often is the case, I don't know that you can say there is a hard and fast rule here. My guess is it depends a lot on the program. I am a current Germany ETA and prior to starting my grant, I had done one 5-month study abroad and two short trips to Germany. But, I know at least three other ETAs who have parents who are German or Austrian and who have spent longer periods of time in German-speaking countries. They still got the grants. I know plenty of people who studied abroad in high school as well as college, leading them to have amassed more than a year in Germany... I wouldn't say that having more than 6 months of experience in your grant country is a kiss of death. It might not make you seem more competitive, but I don't think it's right to say it will damn you right from the start. 

Thanks to everyone who chimed in! I suppose the good news is that I haven't lived in Spain since 2007-2008 and, since then, I've attended law school and worked in the legal profession for a few years, so hopefully that's enough "distance" from my experience there.

It might give them pause, but I don't think it will hurt your chances. I think they are more concerned if you had been there for five years. The 9 months of teaching would be similar to if you had done the ETA program there.

More as general information for everyone, they also don't mind too much for the research grant if you lived in the country as a child due to your parent's work or if you were there on military service (mentioned somewhere on the website which I can't find right now). I lived in France for the first seven years of my life due to my Dad's work and have only been back to visit once for 2 weeks. Not sure if this played into me being listed as an alternate, but I have been able to at least get this far.

The mayor of the Eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv just this morning was shot by unknown gunmen.  He is alive, but barely......................I fear Ukraine will be officially cancelled after this tragic event.

Just signed up for my school's info session for next year's application cycle. My mind and body are already dreading the thought of going through this process for the second time.

Although I'll probably already know a lot of what is being discussed, the Director of Outreach for the Fulbright Student Program is suppose to be there and I'm hoping to maybe get clarification on the whole alternate process.

The mayor of the Eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv just this morning was shot by unknown gunmen.  He is alive, but barely......................I fear Ukraine will be officially cancelled after this tragic event.

That does sound pretty bad. I feel so terrible for all of the Ukraine applicants. I can't even begin to imagine how worried you guys are. Good luck! If the program is canceled, may try to think about the way this leaves you free to pursue other opportunities (much easier said than done, I know). Best of luck!

Just signed up for my school's info session for next year's application cycle. My mind and body are already dreading the thought of going through this process for the second time.

Although I'll probably already know a lot of what is being discussed, the Director of Outreach for the Fulbright Student Program is suppose to be there and I'm hoping to maybe get clarification on the whole alternate process.

Olioliwoo, I am so happy to see you aren't giving up. Your project is so important! Please do everything you can to make it happen.

Oh no : ( Do you think it is possible for Fulbright to assign applicants to another Eurasian country (I think they've been able to do that before with ETA positions at least)?

Crossing my fingers for all the Ukraine applicants out there! I'm hoping that they'd shift you to another location if things continued to go badly.

In the case that they shut down the program this year and don't relocate people, I'm wondering if they would still notify the people who would have gone. You could still put on your resume that you were selected for the fellowship, and that (along with the accompanying story of the political situation on the ground) would help you gain admission to another program.

Also, it'd be sad to have you wait all this time and then never have you find out if you would have gotten it. 

That does sound pretty bad. I feel so terrible for all of the Ukraine applicants. I can't even begin to imagine how worried you guys are. Good luck! If the program is canceled, may try to think about the way this leaves you free to pursue other opportunities (much easier said than done, I know). Best of luck!

GnosisExchange, thank you for your kind words!  My back up plan is to go to graduate school in Bremen, Germany to receive a Masters in International Relations: global governance and social theory.  The university, Jacobs, has been very kind to me in understanding my state of limbo in regards to Fulbright and they have pledged to work with me in any capacity that they can.

Oh no : ( Do you think it is possible for Fulbright to assign applicants to another Eurasian country (I think they've been able to do that before with ETA positions at least)?

olioliwoo, I am not sure if that is allowed.  If that is at all possible, I would love to go to Poland and still be close to Ukraine to do my research.  I wouldn't mind going to Brussels to study/work/research with EU MPs to do my research (that would be a home run!!)

Crossing my fingers for all the Ukraine applicants out there! I'm hoping that they'd shift you to another location if things continued to go badly.

In the case that they shut down the program this year and don't relocate people, I'm wondering if they would still notify the people who would have gone. You could still put on your resume that you were selected for the fellowship, and that (along with the accompanying story of the political situation on the ground) would help you gain admission to another program.

Also, it'd be sad to have you wait all this time and then never have you find out if you would have gotten it. 

Thank you very much sirskipsalot!  I too am hoping that if Ukraine closes its program, then I would be able to research in another country/location.  I am dying to know if I even won the grant.  But you are correct, I will still put the grant information on my CV/resume if I win or become an alternate even if the program closes.

during my Junior year of undergrad (last year), I was an alternate for the Boren Award and if fulbright does not come through, I may end up applying for that award all over again and use it to do my research.

Oh wow. I just turned on CNN when I read this... nothing so far, but I'll keep it on while I'm editing.

I can't think of anything I could possibly say that would make this situation any better. Of course, our first thoughts go to the family of the mayor and then to the Ukrainian people. We are so privileged...I will not spend one second today wondering who will be running my government tomorrow...I can't get my head around what it would be like to live day to day with Russian troops at the border and random people running around with loaded guns and Molotov cocktails...

Nevertheless, I really, really hope the Fulbright program in Ukraine goes forward! This is a time where building friendship between our two countries is desperately needed! Everything Fulbright stands for is magnified by the situation in Ukraine. We, as a nation, need to stand by the Ukrainian people and I, for one, hope a part of doing that involves the Fulbright U.S. student program!  Good luck, shogun and all other Ukrainian recommendees! 

Oh wow. I just turned on CNN when I read this... nothing so far, but I'll keep it on while I'm editing.

I can't think of anything I could possibly say that would make this situation any better. Of course, our first thoughts go to the family of the mayor and then to the Ukrainian people. We are so privileged...I will not spend one second today wondering who will be running my government tomorrow...I can't get my head around what it would be like to live day to day with Russian troops at the border and random people running around with loaded guns and Molotov cocktails...

Nevertheless, I really, really hope the Fulbright program in Ukraine goes forward! This is a time where building friendship between our two countries is desperately needed! Everything Fulbright stands for is magnified by the situation in Ukraine. We, as a nation, need to stand by the Ukrainian people and I, for one, hope a part of doing that involves the Fulbright U.S. student program!  Good luck, shogun and all other Ukrainian recommendees! 

Mozartgirl53, thank you so much for this comment. I think because we are all so excited for Fulbright, we lose perspective every once in a while. It sucks to be waiting back from Fulbright if you applied to Ukraine, but the uncertainty of being a citizen there has to be a million times worse.

I've been wondering about this. Is it really even a feasible solution for  some of the research grants? Wouldn't some be too specific to Ukraine for it to be transferable to another country?....

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, I'm just curious. 

Edited by GnosisExchange