Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Wishful thinking on my part hoping it's before that date. Fixated on dates and the spreadsheet, trying to analyze whatever information I have!

Ahh! An envelope--the torture I would have felt. It seems so time consuming going through the process of opening an actual envelope compared to spotting a P (hopefulllllllly) in the subject line!

Next week, Tajikistan!

Since many of the acceptances from other programs were delayed, do you think that Central Asia will be delayed too?  

Since many of the acceptances from other programs were delayed, do you think that Central Asia will be delayed too?  

I hate to say this, but clearly this year has been an exception to all previously established patterns. It's probably best to stop trying to guess the date. For me it only caused more anxiety as a saw how late the notifications were compared to previous years.

A lot of notifications were also bumped up (e.g., Malta found out a month earlier this year compared to previous years), so I'm not sure if anything can reliably predict notification dates.

A lot of notifications were also bumped up (e.g., Malta found out a month earlier this year compared to previous years), so I'm not sure if anything can reliably predict notification dates.

p

I think that's exactly what GnosisExchange is saying... There is no recognizable pattern holding over from previous years...everything is off kilter this year.

I also notice SSA still hasn't updated it's 2014 stats yet...the only region that hasn't done so. I'd like to see the whole picture! LOL I'm so neurotic! Hahaha!

So who's still waiting? I know there are a few places left on the spreadsheet, but since some people aren't filling in Accepted/Rejected when the other applicants to the country do, I'm not sure how reliable the spreadsheet is at this point. 

In an effort to think about ANYTHING else while still waiting (and in an effort to procrastinate from working on this Philosophy project), I need to some new music to listen to... what've you got? I'm currently listening to The Apache Relay.

Bangladesh still waiting... and I agree, I think the previous years dates don't mean much at this point. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for a long wait :( boo

p

I think that's exactly what GnosisExchange is saying... There is no recognizable pattern holding over from previous years...everything is off kilter this year.

I also notice SSA still hasn't updated it's 2014 stats yet...the only region that hasn't done so. I'd like to see the whole picture! LOL I'm so neurotic! Hahaha!

I think GnosisExchange and I posted at the same time saying the same thing...or I just didn't see that post before I posted.

Edited by tieloran

I know a lot of South America is still waiting -- I'm still waiting on Venezuela!

And Shogun1, I have similar concerns. With all of the violence in Caracas, I'm really nervous as to what's going to happen with my program as well! As far as I know, they haven't pulled out the current Fulbrighters already there, so that's a good sign in my book.

p

All of Central America and the Caribbean are still waiting on notification and statistics as well.

Edited by bahlam_

I know a lot of South America is still waiting -- I'm still waiting on Venezuela!

And Shogun1, I have similar concerns. With all of the violence in Caracas, I'm really nervous as to what's going to happen with my program as well! As far as I know, they haven't pulled out the current Fulbrighters already there, so that's a good sign in my book.

That is good to hear that they have yet to pull out the current fulbrighters!  I really hope Venezuela doesn't shut down either.  All of these uprisings this year has been truly fascinating (from a scholarly perspective/very sad from a human point of view).   

I am happy (? <_< ) to hear that the Central Asian applicants aren't the only ones still waiting. It's been a long waiting game for all us. But I hope we all find out soon! It's almost May for goodness gracious! 

bella_mozzarella, CONGRATULATIONS!! Sweden was a tough one this year, and you did it!  Are you ETA or research? You must be pretty excited!

Thank you Mozart - Yes I'm super excited! I applied for an Arts grant (documentary filmmaking)

bella_mozzarella, CONGRATULATIONS!! Sweden was a tough one this year, and you did it!  Are you ETA or research? You must be pretty excited!

And congrats I just saw that you just got the Fulbright as well! I'm so happy for you :)

Congrats to all who applied to Fulbright Program and got accepted to it!!!!! 
I applied for Fulbright ETA South Korea and was NS. I am however going to be going to graduate school in the Fall, studying Higher and Postsecondary Education. I was wondering if anyone would recommend I apply again as a graduate student?  I just don't want to be rejected again :(

I was scrolling through Fulbright Programs' Twitter page and saw the following tweet: "U.S. Student grants are intended for those who HAVE NOT spent significant time in the desired host country."

For those who have been awarded the grant, is there anyone out there who already has spent a lot of time in your host country? I'm applying for Spain for the next cycle but have spent time there in the past studying abroad and teaching English, so I'm wondering if that will hurt my chances...

I think GnosisExchange and I posted at the same time saying the same thing...or I just didn't see that post before I posted.

LOL I think about all four of us who were on here at that time posted the almost exact same thing! LOL Great minds think alike. By the way, there's a p at the beginning of my quote...doesn't belong to me; must be a typo.

And congrats I just saw that you just got the Fulbright as well! I'm so happy for you :)

Thanks bella! Documentary film making-- WOW!  What are you looking to document in Sweden?

All of Central America and the Caribbean are still waiting on notification and statistics as well.

The wait is excruciating, but Central America did get notified in May last year so I'm not surprised. I just hope that I get notified in early May. I just want to start making future plans already.

Edited by miri1776

Congrats to all who applied to Fulbright Program and got accepted to it!!!!! 

I applied for Fulbright ETA South Korea and was NS. I am however going to be going to graduate school in the Fall, studying Higher and Postsecondary Education. I was wondering if anyone would recommend I apply again as a graduate student?  I just don't want to be rejected again :(

Would you be applying for a research grant? Personally, I think you have a higher chances with a research grant. It will be different, however. If you really want to teach in South Korea there are other great grants too. Boren Fellowship is a great one. I think some people on this forum were Boren fellows.

I was scrolling through Fulbright Programs' Twitter page and saw the following tweet: "U.S. Student grants are intended for those who HAVE NOT spent significant time in the desired host country."

For those who have been awarded the grant, is there anyone out there who already has spent a lot of time in your host country? I'm applying for Spain for the next cycle but have spent time there in the past studying abroad and teaching English, so I'm wondering if that will hurt my chances...

I'm not sure about ETA's, but I know for the research Fulbright they don't care.

LOL I think about all four of us who were on here at that time posted the almost exact same thing! LOL Great minds think alike. By the way, there's a p at the beginning of my quote...doesn't belong to me; must be a typo.

Haha, yeah, that seems to happen a lot on this forum! We're all so invested.

Hi spainbound15, I don't have hard data for this, but based on people I have talked with, it seems there's sort of a "golden mean" of perfect time to have spent in proposed host country. How long were you in Spain, and how long ago? The sense I get is that Fulbright wants to target college students who have not had a ton of over seas experience, because that is part of their mission. On the other hand, it can be helpful to have some experience. I have been to Zambia twice, for about one month each time, for example. I used that in my proposal to show connections I have already set up and to demonstrate I have a working knowledge of navigating the public transit system, what water you can drink where, etc.  My FPA warned me not to over-emphasize that, but she also said have connections there would actually help my application. So............ I don't feel that was a super helpful answer, but that has been my (limited) experience.

I'm not sure about ETA's, but I know for the research Fulbright they don't care.

miri1776, may I ask where you read/heard that? I'm just really curious because my FPA made a big deal about it. She told me they really look for students without much, or any, experience in the country to which they are applying. I know I've read something on the Fulbright site as well. But maybe it's one of those things that's more informal in the office? Like in reality they don't look much at that? I'm interested because I want to be able to pass along advice to candidates in the future, but I don't want to tell them something incorrect.

miri1776, may I ask where you read/heard that? I'm just really curious because my FPA made a big deal about it. She told me they really look for students without much, or any, experience in the country to which they are applying. I know I've read something on the Fulbright site as well. But maybe it's one of those things that's more informal in the office? Like in reality they don't look much at that? I'm interested because I want to be able to pass along advice to candidates in the future, but I don't want to tell them something incorrect.

The advice given to me was from my adviser. He serves on the national screening committee for his specialty. He said it varies from year to year, but for research grants they don't mind if a student spent an extended period of time in the host country. He did say that it is frowned upon for a "research" fulbright applicant to apply if they are already living in the host country. The assumption is that, if the student is already there, why do they need fulbright to send them there.

He noted that when the committee is screening applicants, it is a plus if a student has traveled to the country. Since the student has already conducted preliminary research at X, the student has a better chance of completing the project with a fulbright. Previous trips shows that you have already exhausted all resources available in the U.S. and understand what is available in the host country.

This info, however, is for the research fulbright. I don't know too well how the ETA works.

I hope this helps/makes sense. I feel that my adviser is a pretty reliable source. He even said that some scholars on the screening committee were weeding out applicants who didn't care to list how they would participate and give back to the host country.