Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I GOT THE FULBRIGHT TO THAILAND!!!

Get this folks--non-select turned principle!!!

The impossible has happened!!!

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH MY GOODNESS WELCOME BACK AMD CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! they must have realized the mistake they did and wow that is amazing, I always wondered why such a talented person as yourself didn't get it but I'm super happy you got it!!! Made my day!!!!!!!

OMG!!!! And after three years. That is so freaking fantastic!! :D

Miracles do happen!!!! Congratulations! :D

kbui, I've been reading this forum for almost a year now and have never gotten an account/posted before. But I have been hoping and praying you would get the Fulbright for a long time, and this news made me so happy that I had to congratulate you. Congratulations! :)

Kbui, what amazing news! I know how badly you wanted this, and that you've applied before, so a huge congrats. Yay!

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH MY GOODNESS WELCOME BACK AMD CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! they must have realized the mistake they did and wow that is amazing, I always wondered why such a talented person as yourself didn't get it but I'm super happy you got it!!! Made my day!!!!!!!

OMG!!!! And after three years. That is so freaking fantastic!! :D

Thank you traveler_5563, japanlia, and spanbound15!!! I was on the brink of crying when I heard the news! I am so glad to have you guys support me through this whole journey.

I lost hope when I saw the "non-select" stamped in the subject line of my Fulbright email, but now I've JUST received the (P) I've been working 100+ hours for three years!!!

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!!!

kbui, I've been reading this forum for almost a year now and have never gotten an account/posted before. But I have been hoping and praying you would get the Fulbright for a long time, and this news made me so happy that I had to congratulate you. Congratulations! :)

Fulbright has made me so happy, but this post made me even more emotional than I already am...

*okay kbui, don't tear up in this busy Starbucks, people are going to think someone just broke up with you*

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ZOMG so happy for you!!!!!!! *cue epic happy dance*

THIS IS AMAZING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazy-celebration.gif

(our forum's reaction to this epicness)

kbui, did they explain what happened? like, were you actually supposed to be an alternate but they mistakenly sent you a rejection letter??

Jonathan called me and said that "[Thailand found some extra funding, and the commissioners told me to call you to inform you that you've received a grant.]" It was so unexpected!

I actually received a very straight-forward, "You are not selected," email back in April, with "NS" in the subject line. I don't think they made a mistake, but that extra funding just appeared. Though I'm not too sure on what the situation is for alternates to Thailand for an ETA. I don't know if there are any on the forum that received the same email/phone call that I did, but I hope this is the case for other applicants also!

From an A.....to a P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhh! Totally out of the blue, no email or anything! I was just sitting on the couch and the phone rang and showed "New York, New York" and I was all, "It can't be," and the fiancé was like, "Wazzup?" and I squawked, "MUTE, MUTE, MUTE!!! MUTE THE TV I THINK IT'S FULBRIGHTTT!!!" And...it was! 

We're taking the weekend to really think it through because the fiancé is freaked out because he'd be coming with me as a dependent and he doesn't speak any Russian or Romanian (I'm ETA to Moldova) and he's worried about the language barrier. But, I'm 99.9% sure I'm accepting this thing. Ahhhhh!!! 

From an A.....to a P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhh! Totally out of the blue, no email or anything! I was just sitting on the couch and the phone rang and showed "New York, New York" and I was all, "It can't be," and the fiancé was like, "Wazzup?" and I squawked, "MUTE, MUTE, MUTE!!! MUTE THE TV I THINK IT'S FULBRIGHTTT!!!" And...it was! 

We're taking the weekend to really think it through because the fiancé is freaked out because he'd be coming with me as a dependent and he doesn't speak any Russian or Romanian (I'm ETA to Moldova) and he's worried about the language barrier. But, I'm 99.9% sure I'm accepting this thing. Ahhhhh!!! 

Congratulations!!!

FANTASTIC! I'm so excited for all these turnovers to Principle! 

I am a little confused about something. It says that traditional Canadian fullbright awards are given to prospective students to study in graduate programs in the US for their first year. But then it says you have to have approved affiliation to be considered. Well, if you are a prospective student applying for fullbright and universities in the US, how are you supposed to have approved affiliation?

Jonathan called me and said that "[Thailand found some extra funding, and the commissioners told me to call you to inform you that you've received a grant.]" It was so unexpected!

I actually received a very straight-forward, "You are not selected," email back in April, with "NS" in the subject line. I don't think they made a mistake, but that extra funding just appeared. Though I'm not too sure on what the situation is for alternates to Thailand for an ETA. I don't know if there are any on the forum that received the same email/phone call that I did, but I hope this is the case for other applicants also!

So are you going to reject the Yale program now? so awesome for ya!

So are you going to reject the Yale program now? so awesome for ya!

A lot of people have been asking me that, lol. I actually deferred Yale until 2015, leaving 2014-15 for Fulbright (or the other opportunities). During that year, I'm going to apply for fellowships/scholarships/grants to help cover my graduate school costs--since we all know the ROI for graduate degrees aren't high enough to be worth 100K+ in debt, lol.

AHH! I can't believe our dreams are coming true!

I think either the data on the spreadsheet got deleted and then someone had to fill in the data again, but a lot of my information got changed. I fixed it, though it may've happened to other folks too.