Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Quick question: If I was to call Fulbright and ask if the initial two principle candidates have accepted, can they tell me that? I'm an Alternate, obviously.

When I was alternate I looked at the spreadsheet and contacted the one principal directly. She was very nice about it :)

When I was alternate I looked at the spreadsheet and contacted the one principal directly. She was very nice about it :)

There aren't any other people on the spreadsheet that applied to my country, but thats a pretty great idea. I wouldn't have thought about that at all!

There aren't any other people on the spreadsheet that applied to my country, but thats a pretty great idea. I wouldn't have thought about that at all!

Aw, darn :<

Wow, I think that's the first time I have heard of something like that happening. I'm sorry that didn't work out (can't imagine the yo-yoing emotions) :( Good luck on applying the second time around, I will be rooting for you!!

Well thanks.. good luck to you.. you going to try France again?

Hi all,

I've added a GradCafe Statistics chart on the bottom of the spreadsheets for those curious minded and statistics folks. ^_^

Hi all,

I've added a GradCafe Statistics chart on the bottom of the spreadsheets for those curious minded and statistics folks. ^_^

Thank you for adding that, it will make things so much easier when we are desperately trying to find statistics to cling onto during the waiting periods of next cycle :)

How do you guys think that Alternates should list the Fulbright on their CVs/resumes?

P.S. Woo 300th post!

I would on a CV have a section for Awards/Scholarship:

Fulbright Scholar Award (Alternate, 2014). Project: ????????????????????????? country : France

There is an illusion in those words. It shows you were selected and many times the eyes of the reviewer keep moving. Hence, we put alternate after the main words associated with the award.

Hi all,

kbui, I just wanted to congratulate you! A fellow Grinnell College classmate of mind informed me of your rockstar status and that major jump from NS to P! You deserve it!

I'm still an alternate for Laos, but I've already accepted my fellowship to teach in Chiang Mai, Thailand. If you ever plan on traveling there, feel free to contact me! I'm not really allowed to go to Bangkok sadly. :/

I'll also subscribe to your blog as soon as I set up mine. :)

kbui, I just wanted to congratulate you! A fellow Grinnell College classmate of mind informed me of your rockstar status and that major jump from NS to P! You deserve it!

I'm still an alternate for Laos, but I've already accepted my fellowship to teach in Chiang Mai, Thailand. If you ever plan on traveling there, feel free to contact me! I'm not really allowed to go to Bangkok sadly. :/

I'll also subscribe to your blog as soon as I set up mine. :)

Hi Starlettmimi, I am so flattered that people at Grinnell are talking about little 'ol me! :D I really appreciate the comment, and I'm very, very excited! I've already started preparing lists of items to bring to Thailand for teaching and looking at where I can continue Thai lessons.

Chiang Mai is going to be so beautiful! You're going to love the cultural capitol and second largest city of Thailand. I'll be in a smaller provincial town, but I'll definitely be looking at ways to travel around. I'll have to contact you after we exchange blog subscriptions & contact information!

Its officially been a month since I've become an Alternate. Beginning to lose faith. *opens up USAJobs*

If it helps, I got promoted a month and about a week after becoming alternate. 

If it helps, I got promoted a month and about a week after becoming alternate. 

That absolutely helps, Sine. =\

I know the feeling, I'm almost at three months : /

I have a feeling I'll be there soon enough. Sigh. Keep the faith! 

Did any other alternates from small countries do any Google intelligence gathering to find out who your principles are? I feel like a creeper, but there are only two people who make Principle, and I just needed closure. 

There is something decidedly political about a non-select suddenly becoming a principal. Perhaps other alternates should contact their congressional representatives and have them call Fulbright n order to move up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the news this morning--after six weeks from the initial (A), I had more or less given up hope and was planning to re-apply next year--but I've been moved to Principal for the ETA to Argentina. No word on any specifics yet, but looking forward to more news soon. Hope other alternates are getting a surprise this week.

Congratulations! Make sure you update your information to the spreadsheet! :D

Just got the news this morning--after six weeks from the initial (A), I had more or less given up hope and was planning to re-apply next year--but I've been moved to Principal for the ETA to Argentina. No word on any specifics yet, but looking forward to more news soon. Hope other alternates are getting a surprise this week.

Wow, congrats! Worth the wait :)

Anyone know what all we should be wearing to the D.C. orientation...? Business casual, maybe?

The website says that while there is no dress code, most Fulbrighters choose to dress business or business casual. I would go more conservative, seeing as this is a networking opportunity as much as an orientation. 

Hey, does anyone know the procedure for purchasing tickets? I'm not booking yet, but my plans for the rest of summer sort of depend on whether or not I can fly out of any city. I think I remember reading somewhere that we have to fly out of our "home" city? I hope that's not true, because I'll be staying with family the last couple of weeks before I leave. 

Hey, does anyone know the procedure for purchasing tickets? I'm not booking yet, but my plans for the rest of summer sort of depend on whether or not I can fly out of any city. I think I remember reading somewhere that we have to fly out of our "home" city? I hope that's not true, because I'll be staying with family the last couple of weeks before I leave. 

I think it's different for each country, but we went through a third-party agent in Chicago. They were a Thai company. I'm actually flying out of San Francisco instead of Minneapolis, my home city. They didn't care.

Guess what, guys!!!!

I got the ETA grant for Russia after being an Alternate for what seems like forever. Kazan here I come!!! WOOOO!!

Congratz, girl!:D  That's amazing news.  Maybe there is room for ooooooone more alternate to be converted to P status ;)