Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Why do you do this to us, Fulbright, whyyyyyy (I mean, I appreciate the thought and effort going into the decisions, but...aernop;vn bpofn)

Hi NoNorway,

Sorry to hear about that... NKR would be a really interesting outlet to work with. I figured it might be a Scholar grant, but I think everyone's nerves are so on edge right now (including mine!) that we were all nervous. What was your project about? Also, there are a ton of other grants for journalists to go abroad; I'm sure you've already looked into them, but if you want to keep pursuing this project there must be other ways of funding/outlets. I have a friend on a journalism grant in Brazil right now. 

And you can reapply, of course! If that's still a viable option for you. You got this far -- clearly you and your project are amazing.

Edited by tieloran

Yeah, I just found out that Tom Healy, the chairman of the Fulbright Board, is coming to my school tomorrow to speak. How timely.

On another note, J. W. Fulbright was actually a student and at one point the president of the university I attend. Even my college (arts and sciences) and some buildings on campus are named after him. Which might seem pretty cool; however, it was getting a little unnerving when half my emails have the word "Fulbright" in the subject line. Talk about mind games.

I get annoyed when I get "tricked" by the Fulbright student blog emails, can't imagine if my school emails also had that in them.

On the bright side, at least you know your email won't block an email that says Fulbright in it?

This is pretty annoying. Family and friends keep asking me about Fulbright on a daily basis and I never have anything to say. I guess the "Still?!?!" responses at least validate my impatience. I did, however, find out today that my school will have the  the Fulbright director for Poland host a lunch with students a few weeks from now. While I may not be interested in Poland, if I get rejected by then, she might have some advise on reapplying. 

Trying oh-so-desperately to stay positive.

Exact same situation. My parents are visiting DC and are having an "intervention" with me because they don't understand how the job market works in DC and how slow the Fulbright process is. 

Looks like they got an early start this morning.  Just heard that I was accepted as an ETA for Bulgaria!  I've seen several other Bulgaria hopefuls on here, so wanted to get the news out quickly so people knew to check.  Best of luck!

Looks like they got an early start this morning.  Just heard that I was accepted as an ETA for Bulgaria!  I've seen several other Bulgaria hopefuls on here, so wanted to get the news out quickly so people knew to check.  Best of luck!

Congratulations!!!!!!! 

Congratulations, that's fantastic!! I have a good feeling about this week in terms of notifications being sent out. We're almost there everyone, hang in there! :)

Congratulations!  :D

Congratulations!!!

Looks like they got an early start this morning. Just heard that I was accepted as an ETA for Bulgaria! I've seen several other Bulgaria hopefuls on here, so wanted to get the news out quickly so people knew to check. Best of luck!

Wow that is quite early.! It's 7:42 here in California! Congraaaats *pops open champagne bottle * keep the good news coming!

Accepted for Bulgaria!!!! So excited - and totally unprepared to get it so early in the morning! The P was in the subject line, by the way.

Congrats, Mike!!!! I am totally looking forward to meeting you and everyone else going to Bulgaria!

Do'vizhdane!!!

Congratulations to all the Bulgarians! Hopefully that clog in the state department is starting to clear up and we will all hear something soon!

Congrats to everyone who got accepted today! Hopefully more of us will find out today (or in the next few days). I also just checked the spreadsheet - it's all out of order again :( Everyone might want to be careful and double check when entering their information.

Hiii so I'm really new to this, but glad I found this forum! I was starting to get a bit anxious. I got recommended for an ETA Position in Malaysia and am superrrrr hopeful to hear back good news very soon (fingers crossed). Does anyone know when Malaysia typically sends out notifications, like in previous years maybe? 

I was also recommended for an ETA in Malaysia. Last year they found out on April 3. I can't wait to find out!

I was also recommended for an ETA in Malaysia. Last year they found out on April 3. I can't wait to find out!

Has anyone spoken with Jonathan Akeley in regards to Malaysia? 

I just heard back and unfortunately was not selected for a fulbright to India. I wish everyone else the best of luck!! 

I was selected for Fulbright to India! FYI, there was no notification in the subject line.

I got it! I can't even type I'm so excited. 

india_applicant, I am so sorry. However, I firmly believe you will do great things in your life! Remember we are not defined by our Fulbright status!!  Another path will open for you to do the research so important to you.

JacquiC and fulbright_to_India, I give you my sincere congratulations! I'm so excited for you! So much is going on in India right now and your contributions will be invaluable. I've never been to India but it's definitely on my bucket list. Now go eat that cake someone posted above!   :) 

Congrats to the India grantees! I'm sorry to those who didn't get it. Another door closes, as you know, another door opens. - Who knows - maybe you'll reapply next year and the door will reopen again.

Heard back from Laos today. Bittersweet, I'm an alternate. My Fulbright adviser forwarded me the email and the status was in the headline like this: Fulbright Application Status (A)

Chok Dee I hope you get it!!!

I will definitely hope for the best and that I'm removed from the alternate list by Friday, but I understand it's rare. However, this is okay with me, since I still have Thailand in line for me.

I'll still be lurking around and inform everyone of my final decision.

Congratulations, Starlettmimi, on your Alternate status! Bittersweet indeed-- now you have to sit on the edge of your seat again, for who knows how long! I am hoping for the very best for you, that you end up getting to go to Laos.

Looks like they got an early start this morning. Just heard that I was accepted as an ETA for Bulgaria! I've seen several other Bulgaria hopefuls on here, so wanted to get the news out quickly so people knew to check. Best of luck!

Accepted for Bulgaria!!!! So excited - and totally unprepared to get it so early in the morning! The P was in the subject line, by the way.

Congrats, Mike!!!! I am totally looking forward to meeting you and everyone else going to Bulgaria!

Do'vizhdane!!!

I was accepted as well!! Fulbright's ways are higher than mine - the email came when I was sleeping, i.e., not manically checking my inbox for once, and on the same day I turned in a paper and gave a presentation on Bulgarian folklore. What a way to start the day. Congratulations to my fellow Bulgarians! Edited by venus in jorts