Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

What do you guys think of including the time of day along with the date in the "Notification Date" field on the spreadsheet? I think it might save next year's applicants from having to dig through our forum to see times/what statuses got notified first, etc.

Hi olioliwoo, I think that's a great idea! I think there should also be room to write what time zone we are in. I'm on the left coast and therefore three hours behind the east coast, and there's mountain and central time in between.

Hi olioliwoo, I think that's a great idea! I think there should also be room to write what time zone we are in. I'm on the left coast and therefore three hours behind the east coast, and there's mountain and central time in between.

Maybe we should simply do it by EST, since the offices are on the east coast? Or am I just assuming that? It'll make it easier to organize. 

Edited by danielaface

Maybe we should simply do it by EST, since the offices are on the east coast? Or am I just assuming that? It'll make it easier to organize. 

I agree that I think it would be easier to just do it by EST since that is what IIE uses too. Everyone who has applied who isn't in EST has already figured out their time difference when they had to submit their application by 5 PM EST anyway.

I agree that I think it would be easier to just do it by EST since that is what IIE uses too. Everyone who has applied who isn't in EST has already figured out their time difference when they had to submit their application by 5 PM EST anyway.

I think what the Germany applicants did with just putting the time next to the email would be fine.

Yeah, I agree that's a good idea.  Just mark it somewhere on the sheet that it's EST.

Once again I got "tricked" by the Fulbright student blog update email. Current score:

Fulbright student blog email 16.....Olivia 0. I'll beat you one day Fulbright student blog...one day.

I had to unsubscribe from those emails back when we were awaiting recommendation status - they drove me nuts! I jumped every time on popped up on my phone. 

I had to unsubscribe from those emails back when we were awaiting recommendation status - they drove me nuts! I jumped every time on popped up on my phone. 

I think I might need to end up doing that. I just feel like I should have broken my Pavlovian response to it by now : P

Can I just say that I really appreciate the community here? Even if I mostly just lurk it's nice to take part in a forum like this, so thanks all! You make waiting a little bit better.

As for times, I heard from Taiwan at around 4:30 last year. I'm not sure if the times are consistent though. Would anyone be up for calling/emailing the person in charge of Taiwan? Maybe we could get a better sense of if we should be expecting anything this week or if we'll have to wait for next week.

Once again I got "tricked" by the Fulbright student blog update email. Current score:

Fulbright student blog email 16.....Olivia 0. I'll beat you one day Fulbright student blog...one day.

Are you subscribed to blogs from current fulbrighters? Maybe you can change your notification settings in the blogs so that you don't get an email every time there's a new entry on the blog. Don't torture yourself like that :(! Or you could also manually check them without being subscribed :)

Rejected from Norway. Honestly fine about it. I've moved to four states in the past four years, so the thought of uprooting again made me feel sick to the stomach. Good luck to everyone else who applied to Scandinavia--you should be hearing shortly! (That includes you, Blue Bird!)

I felt kind of pressured into applying--"It's such a good opportunity!"--but kind of felt in my heart of hearts that I needed to settle down. I went to grad school in Chicago last year, and I was so, so lonely. I was so relieved to move back home and get a job. I think this is the universe's way of telling me to stay put for a while. I do think everything works out the way it should, so I wish everyone the best. I know I never really got into the "spirit" of the board (only started commenting in the past few weeks), but everyone seems like such passionate, intelligent, and committed people. You'll do wonderful things wherever you go. Mazel.

I felt kind of pressured into applying--"It's such a good opportunity!"--but kind of felt in my heart of hearts that I needed to settle down. I went to grad school in Chicago last year, and I was so, so lonely. I was so relieved to move back home and get a job. I think this is the universe's way of telling me to stay put for a while. I do think everything works out the way it should, so I wish everyone the best. I know I never really got into the "spirit" of the board (only started commenting in the past few weeks), but everyone seems like such passionate, intelligent, and committed people. You'll do wonderful things wherever you go. Mazel.

I'm sorry you didn't get it, but it sounds like you have a solid plan in place. Thanks tfor all of your encouragement - just found out that I am one of the grantees! I am so glad that the Fulbright committee saw my project as worthy of this grant. I am so honored to know all of you extraordinary, intelligent people, Fulbrighters or not. Good luck to everyone!

Looks like they got an early start this morning.  Just heard that I was accepted as an ETA for Bulgaria!  I've seen several other Bulgaria hopefuls on here, so wanted to get the news out quickly so people knew to check.  Best of luck!

I was accepted as well!! Fulbright's ways are higher than mine - the email came when I was sleeping, i.e., not manically checking my inbox for once, and on the same day I turned in a paper and gave a presentation on Bulgarian folklore. What a way to start the day. Congratulations to my fellow Bulgarians!

Accepted for Bulgaria!!!! So excited - and totally unprepared to get it so early in the morning! The P was in the subject line, by the way.

Congrats, Mike!!!! I am totally looking forward to meeting you and everyone else going to Bulgaria!

Do'vizhdane!!!

I've been accepted as well! My email came at around 10 pm Korean time, and then just before going to bed, I decided to check my email.... Didn't go to sleep for a while after that, haha. Congrats to all!

Hi BeatriceHolm,

I understand where you are coming from. Yesterday my dissertation chair said, "You're already such a star on campus [more like big fish in a very little pond, heh heh] and when you get the Fulbright you'll be an even bigger star; the administration will want to trot you out for fundraisers and everything."  Geeeez, no pressure there!!  All you present and future professors, please don't do that. Yes, he was trying to give me a compliment and trying to make me feel good during this insufferable waiting, but the effect was to make me even more anxious. If I don't get it, now I feel like I'm letting the entire university down! However, unlike you, I do really, really, really want this. Not because they want me to get it, but because I think my project is important and will contribute to helping the Zambian government in making policy decisions about subsistence farming techniques and will contribute to our own government in making foreign aid decisions.

I hope the above doesn't make me sound like a horribly self-centered person; I don't mean it that way at all. Just that probably everyone on this discussion board is likely getting pressure not just internally but externally too, which seems to be the case with you, BeatriceHolm. I'm glad you're relieved! And glad you can settle down close to home-- my university is also not in my home town and I really get the lonliness factor!

blue_bird, congratulations!! I'm excited for you and for your project in Norway! Way to go!

I really hope we all get to collaborate together! Persona - your experience teaching in South Korea sounds fascinating, if not all together ideal.  As a public school English teacher, I see my students constantly compared to their international competition - I know that South Korean schools are considered second only to Finland.  (I have my doubts about the validity of those comparisons, however, since I believe they discount cultural differences and inclusivity rates that obviously factor heavily into the data, not to mention the subjectiveness of the actual assessments.  And I'm loyal to my students, knowing that their intelligence and creativity far exceeds what is measured on standardized tests.)  I would love to hear your take on it, as an American teaching in the S. Korean system.  

Also - for what it's worth - I broke down and emailed Eileen O'Malley, too.  She said:

"I hope to be able to receive approval to move forward with notification for Bulgaria soon unfortunately I don’t have a timeline that I can confirm at this point, but I expect sooner rather than later!"

So it sounds like decisions have already been made!!! 

Rosecoyote, I teach in a private business, not in an actual "school." Thus, I have a very incomplete knowledge of the Korean educational system.

But yay for the Fulbright! I am so stoked to be able to have the chance to teach EFL in an "actual school" now!

So I have been watching this thread for a while now looking for any news on the Malaysia ETA. I was recommended and I know the date last year was either the 2nd or 3rd. I have been sitting in front of my email now for several days and it is killing me. I know someone said they were going to email Jonathan E. Akeley and I was wondering if anyone had heard back yet.