Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Congratulations to the new acceptances!

I wish all the best for those not selected...the show isn't over for you guys!

CONGRATULATIONS arigold36 and laurelhardy58!!! I was hoping SOMEONE would get notified today! Hoooraaahhh!! You must be grinning ear to ear right about now!

Thanks! And congrats to others who have been notified.

I creepily watched you update the excel spreadsheet and I was just going "please say 'accepted,' please say 'accepted'" in my head and when you did I was so excited... it was like watching baby turtles make it into the ocean or something! Haha... ANYWAY - Congratulations!!!!

Haha, thanks! Creepy fist-bump~

I creepily watched you update the excel spreadsheet and I was just going "please say 'accepted,' please say 'accepted'" in my head and when you did I was so excited... it was like watching baby turtles make it into the ocean or something! Haha... ANYWAY - Congratulations!!!!

Hi kfzhexon, just curious-- what do the REE..initials at the grad schools you're accepted to stand for?

Congrats to the new South Korean ETAs and researchers! We're excited to see you guys soon!

Just a heads up, but an official Fulbright facebook group will be set up for you guys later. I was the dude who set up the unoffical group last year, and I ended up taking it down in 24 hours. Hahah, good times :)

I would recommend THIS though. :)

Thanks for the tip~

Thanks so much! I have never been but I hear such great things and I am sure I will love it! :)

On an unrelated note: if I am writing that I received the Fulbright, is it a 'Fulbright Grant' or 'Fulbright Scholarship'? Or should I say 'selected as a Fulbright Scholar'? (It's for my 'accomplishments' for graduation.) Thanks!

Hey mmm97, did anyone answer your question? I was wondering too, because IF I get it I want to get new business cards and update my resume before a conference I'm going to at the end of May--assuming we hear by then, haha. I think on my business card I'll have the first line Debbie Jean Brown, PhD candidate and second line Fulbright Scholar, Zambia, 2014-15 third line Leadership Studies, Emphasis African Studies, then my school info and contact info. I would also lead with it on my resume. What do you think? Anyone else, feel free to chime in. Of course, I actually have to be Selected first!

Korea ETA Alternate status...may the Alternate gods smile down upon me with favor.

Hi hopefullywandering (love your handle!), sorry I haven't posted much the last couple of days... One week until the end of my semester and I'm slammed with GA work, a paper, and a poster presentation, but I wanted to pop in and say CONGRATULATIONS on your alternate status!! I really hope you get to go!

GOING TO KOREA (ETA)! Given the confrontational nature of my interview and the fact that I am an engineering major, I was pretty shocked. CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who was accepted and condolences to everyone who received bad news. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone! Has anyone started a Facebook group?

Hi clh023, CONGRATS on the ETA to Korea! I'm very curious about the "confrontational interview" and why you think engineering would count against you? At a any rate, they picked you and I'm smiling!

Hey everyone, if you're wondering why I'm on here in the middle of the night, I'm on the west coast so it's only 10 PM here. I've been slammed at school, but I wanted to catch up and cheer you guys on (or cheer you up) so here I am. I'm obviously waiting still for Zambia and I'm getting really scared now! YIKES!!!

IT WAS A (P)!!!

Omo! OMG! Omo!

tumblr_n2o6hiTLqw1sh559jo1_250.gif

I am so excited and my parents sounded so happy when I told them over the phone (even though they are sad I'll be so far from home). I was convinced that I was going to be an alternate, so I can't even. Actually, I didn't even see the email from Fulbright because my fellowship office had sent me like three congratulatory emails right after they found out as well. I can't wait to meet all of the other Korea ETAs.

Gnosisexchange!!! HOORAY!!! YAHOO!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I just knew you were going to get it! You've been so nice, cheering us all on, and I just had this gut feeling. I'm sure glad my gut was right!! You must be unbelievably excited!!! I love your GIF! Don't expect one from me IF I am lucky enough to get it-- no one wants to see a fat old white chick dance! Hahaha!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I really want to congratulate everyone that got recommended even if you didn't get it. I have been amazed to see all the people on this forum and was doubting myself because you all seem so smart and accomplished

First time posting - I received a Fulbright ETA to South Korea! I would love to connect to other ETAs. Someone said that there was a Facebook group, but I am having a hard time locating it. Anyone know how to find it?

At this point in time, I'm not 100% sure I will be accepting it, as I was recently awarded a fellowship for a master's degree in secondary social studies education. I will be making a few phone calls over the next few days to figure out what my best option is (although if anyone has advice, opinions, etc., I would certainly be open to them).

Hey Matt! I received the ETA award to Turkey for this year, and I've been accepted to grad school too! Most schools let you defer for a year (especially if they know it's a fulbright) so you should ask the coordinator of the program what their protocol is. My program let me defer, so I suspect that's an option for you too!

First time posting - I received a Fulbright ETA to South Korea! I would love to connect to other ETAs. Someone said that there was a Facebook group, but I am having a hard time locating it. Anyone know how to find it?

At this point in time, I'm not 100% sure I will be accepting it, as I was recently awarded a fellowship for a master's degree in secondary social studies education. I will be making a few phone calls over the next few days to figure out what my best option is (although if anyone has advice, opinions, etc., I would certainly be open to them).

Hey Matt! I received the ETA award to Turkey for this year, and I've been accepted to grad school too! Most schools let you defer for a year (especially if they know it's a fulbright) so you should ask the coordinator of the program what their protocol is. My program let me defer, so I suspect that's an option for you too!

Hey guys, first off,congratulations Matt! YAY!! Just wanted to chime in and agree with Yanders that schools will move mountains for Fulbright scholars. At my school, for example, we cannot go through the IRB until we have successfully defended our dissertation proposal. (Because I'm in such a transdisciplinary program where everyone is doing their own thing, we don't have quals; we get the joy of defending twice! We have to defend our proposal, which is the first three chapters, then we defend the whole thing later. I will not be ready to take proposal seminar this summer, but need IRB approval for the Fulbright project, IF I get it.

I was explaining this to my chair last week and he said, well we have made exceptions before, if there's a good reason, and getting Fulbright is the very BEST reason there is! I personally guarantee if you get it I will help you with the IRB, so no worries!

PLUS, several students on here have already gotten deferments or been promised deferments if they get it, so honestly I think it's absolutely worth asking the question. Let us all know how it turns out!

Graduate Grant to the ROK...No Joy.

Congratulations to all the ETA/Research grantees to the ROK...and to all the people who didn't get it, including a few I have kept in regular contact with over the past few months, full steam ahead...oscar mike!

I am going ahead with my plans regardless of this (albeit much poorer). If anybody needs any information about Korea, including living there, getting around, where all the pretty girls hang out, etc., then feel free to send me a PM. I should be there by June.

Good game everyone!

J

Hey USA.J, sorry on the no-go on the Fulbright. . But HAPPY that you are still able to carry out your project! What is it, if you don't mind me asking?

long-time lurker, first time poster!

accepted to Fulbright SK ETA!!! congrats to all :)

also, do we have to reply to their email or something to formally accept? or will the paperwork that we'll be getting shortly shed more light on that?

Congratulations! I believe they send a snail mail packet where there is an acceptance form for you to fill out and return.

Hey! Lurker/just-now poster (I didn't want my nerves to further fuel our collective force of anxieties during the waiting process), recently got alternate for Brazil ETA :( 

I wish all the best Fulbright adventures to everyone who got principal status to their dream country, lots of positive energy to those waiting/in alternate limbo, and other types of adventures/next year's Fulbright journey for non-selects! You peeps are so full of life, humor, & empathy, I know it's going to be a fun ride for you no matter what! 

Also, even while I am going to move on & practice the art of stopping myself from fantasizing about the teeniest hope that my alternate status changes, I'm concerned about the funding for all who start/would potentially start their Fulbright year in 2015 (Brazil candidates included)-- I may be late to the party if y'all already discussed this, but I just came across the news about the proposed $30 M budget cut to the Fulbright for 2015: http://www.fulbright.at/fileadmin/user_upload/allgemein/Save_Fulbright/save_fulbright_executive_summary.pdf

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this would affect programs with 2015 start dates? Anyone else going to get involved in the call to action? I'm just so indignant that such a life- and global relations-altering program that has been a staple in bridging gaps and building connections, could be cut back to such an extent...when the Fulbright man himself established it to be free from any individual administration's interests (I am not commenting on the president/our current administration, just this newest budget proposal), and foreign countries have contributed to, and put faith in, this partnership program. 

I'm going to write my senator and congresswoman, and hope that we can help keep the Fulbright cultural bridges going strong for our & other generations! Okay, sermon over :P   

#SaveFulbright

Hi Desiardilla, congratulations on your alternate status! I really hope you get to go, because Fulbright needs passionate people like you. I was not happy reading that announcement, particularly because I'm a sub Saharan recommendee. I too will be writing to my senators Cantwell and Murray as well as to my congresswoman whom I'm sure is for the cuts, given her political leanings. And while I'm NOT judging anyone, nor do I want to start any political arguments on this forum, I find it highly ironic tha Bush 44 INCREASED the Fulbright so much and Obama is CUTTING it so much! I never woulda thunk it!

HOWEVER, I believe after reading everything, that these proposed cuts will NOT take place for this year's crop, but WILL be in place for the 2015-16 applicants. Nevertheless, it behooves us ALL to start an immediate protest of these proposed cuts!! There will likely be a Republican Senate next year and again, not judging anyone's political party, Fulbright will never get past a Republican Congress. With the cuts being proposed by the White House, it will be an easy cut to make. THEREFORE, we must come together NOW, ALL of us, regardless of P, A, or NS status and start making some noise and educating the public (voters) about this horrific proposal! We can do a search for all Presidents, Congresspersons, and even our state Congresses and start writing letters! Snail mail letters still have more impact than email, so I would start there--get out that pen & stationery and start writing! President Clinton was a Rhodes scholar and he has the Fulbright-Clinton thing, so we need to write and enlist him. Oh my, I am just STEAMING MAD!!!!! We CANNOT let this happen!! Just re-read Olioliwoo's Mark Twain quote- it says it ALL in one sentence. Maybe we should plan a protest this coming summer at the White House. I'd go if I could possibly save up the money. You guys all really brilliant--I'm sure you all could come up with some GREAT IDEAS!! Viva la revolution!

CORRECTION: In my above rant, lol, I meant to say, "We could do a search for all Presidents, Congresspersons and even our state legislators WHO HAVE BEEN FULBRIGHT SCHOLARS and start writing.."

I also should have said, "You all ARE really brilliant..." LOL my typing slips when I'm pissed, hahaha!

Finally, it should read, "I find it highly ironic THAT Bush 44..."

#SaveFulbright

I hadn't even thought about the holiday. Previously, my country has found out on the 19th, which was Good Friday last year. That would lead me to believe that they take an Easter Monday, not a Good Friday off. I don't know. I'm grasping at straws here.

Hi sirskipsot, I very much doubt either Friday or Easter Monday is a routine holiday for the Feds because it is a religious holiday. My guess is, though, that a significant % of employees request time off for one or both (I would if it were me.)

Hey there, Mozartgirl53! First, I must confess that while I was being a creep, stalking this forum and whatnot, I was constantly thinking of how great you are for diligently responding to questions and encouraging everyone on in this process. I wish you the best of luck with securing a grant to Zambia!

I'm also a rather optimistic person, but I'm kind of a little gunshy with things happening in Russia. I spent the last year in Moscow on a Boren scholarship and I was determined to intern with USAID and whaddayaknow.. it was kicked out of the country during my first couple weeks! Then I ended up working with some people involved with the American Councils, and now that's getting the boot. Now I can see that these are apples and oranges... but Russian-American relations have done weird things that aren't compatible with each other before. For example, banning adoptions to U.S. par

ents in response to a bill placing sanctions on Russian officials guilty of human rights violations.

Nevertheless, I feel that everything will be okay with the Fulbright. There's just a little 5% dash of doubt niggling at the back of my head.

Hi kfzhexon, I just wanted to say thank you so much for the kind words! That compliment felt really nice. And kudos to you for getting a BOREN!

I honestly feel that Moldova is going to be OK. I think Russia will be too, unless the Russian government does something whacky like you mentioned above. I don't see our State Department pulling the plug. Of course this is pure speculation on my part.

The one I worry about is Ukraine. Our State Department could decide it's too dangerous. I think someone posted a short time ago that our government got all the Peace Corps volunteers out. That makes me a bit nervous. BUT AGAIN, this is speculation on my part. Anyone on this forum who's recommend for Ukraine, please keep hoping! Don't lose sleep on account of my feelings! I have nothing to go on here but my sixth sense.

HELLO AND GOOD MORNING ALL! This is my last post until tomorrow, well I mean much later today. It's now 12:45 or so on the west coast. I'm sorry I bogarted or hogged the forum!! I was just trying to catch up with everyone/everything going on these days!

It was my birthday a couple of days ago (04/16/14) and when I made my wish and blew out the candles, my wish was that EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM WOULD GET NOTIFICATIONS BY FRIDAY (TODAY) AT THE LATEST!! That would be a literal Good Friday!

Also, I just want to say that I KNOW FOR AN ABSOLUTE FACT that the hold up on notifications this year is/was THE SEQUESTER! A lot of Americans think it didn't really affect them; but it affected hundreds of thousands. If you read one of my previous rants, lol, you'll remember that my brother is a geochemist at a national lab and the sequester cut off all scientists at the national labs. The other thing a lot of people don't realize (because they never told us) is that when the sequester was over, they did NOT just reinstate everyone's funding! National labs are STILL not being funded. Everything that was sequestered is now up for negotiating--including the Fulbright programs. For instance, Columbia just got more funding a week or two ago. That was the result of some heavy duty negotiations. Our State Department is also trying to squeeze more money out of the host countries, which is probably hit or miss, I'm guessing. I think that's the reason President Obama was emboldened to propose these huge cuts in the program-- probably not too many people complained during the sequester (because we didn't realize) so now he thinks he can gut and not many will fight it. However, that's just my opinion on that.

WHAT I DO KNOW AS FACT is that this delay right now is directly because of the sequester. I hope I don't sound weird or creepy for saying this, but I'm not at liberty to say what my source is. And I only came by this information yesterday (Thursday). I wasn't holding out on anything.

This is why we can throw the previous years' notification dates out the window. If some go out on or really close to last year's dates, it is a coincidence.

Again, I'm sorry to be a forum hog. Feel free to skip page 174!

THANK YOU ALL for this community. Whatever happens with Africa, I'm blessed to have been a part of this.

HELLO AND GOOD MORNING ALL! This is my last post until tomorrow, well I mean much later today. It's now 12:45 or so on the west coast. I'm sorry I bogarted or hogged the forum!! I was just trying to catch up with everyone/everything going on these days!

It was my birthday a couple of days ago (04/16/14) and when I made my wish and blew out the candles, my wish was that EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM WOULD GET NOTIFICATIONS BY FRIDAY (TODAY) AT THE LATEST!! That would be a literal Good Friday!

Also, I just want to say that I KNOW FOR AN ABSOLUTE FACT that the hold up on notifications this year is/was THE SEQUESTER! A lot of Americans think it didn't really affect them; but it affected hundreds of thousands. If you read one of my previous rants, lol, you'll remember that my brother is a geochemist at a national lab and the sequester cut off all scientists at the national labs. The other thing a lot of people don't realize (because they never told us) is that when the sequester was over, they did NOT just reinstate everyone's funding! National labs are STILL not being funded. Everything that was sequestered is now up for negotiating--including the Fulbright programs. For instance, Columbia just got more funding a week or two ago. That was the result of some heavy duty negotiations. Our State Department is also trying to squeeze more money out of the host countries, which is probably hit or miss, I'm guessing. I think that's the reason President Obama was emboldened to propose these huge cuts in the program-- probably not too many people complained during the sequester (because we didn't realize) so now he thinks he can gut and not many will fight it. However, that's just my opinion on that.

WHAT I DO KNOW AS FACT is that this delay right now is directly because of the sequester. I hope I don't sound weird or creepy for saying this, but I'm not at liberty to say what my source is. And I only came by this information yesterday (Thursday). I wasn't holding out on anything.

This is why we can throw the previous years' notification dates out the window. If some go out on or really close to last year's dates, it is a coincidence.

Again, I'm sorry to be a forum hog. Feel free to skip page 174!

THANK YOU ALL for this community. Whatever happens with Africa, I'm blessed to have been a part of this

Thank you for sharing that information with us. I wonder if Fulbright would end up reducing the amount of grants given or just make the funding smaller for each grant.

Your posts are interesting and insightful, so I don't mind you "hogging" the forum :) And that was very sweet of you to wish that as your birthday wish. Crossing fingers that at least one other country finds out today or some alternates get bumped up.

I agree--Mozartgirl53, I love your fervor & your generosity in responding to everyone's posts and making all of us feel heard, and your eagerness to be part of the solution (including this budget cuts issue)--I can only imagine what a difference you will make as a Fulbright scholar, you totally deserve it!

And thanks for the good wishes, here's hoping :P

Hey y'all,

Thank you so much for all of the feedback so far. I will be able to defer my acceptance to Teachers College for the Fulbright, but I would not be able to defer my fellowship (which is a national external fellowship). The big thing at this point is trying to figure out whether or not Fulbright is the best next move for me personally. As of right now, I think I might turn it down. But I know that if I do, someone else who really wants it will now have a great opportunity! (Not that I don't want it--I'm just not sure it's the best thing for me right now) I will keep y'all posted.

Matt