Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I haven't heard from Macedonia either.

Hey Balkan Purgatory Loiterers, I feel your pain! :( ETA Hopeful to Serbia here, thumb twiddling. 

Thanks for the info, MozartGirl!!! I recently talked to a friend of mine who just now is getting grant money promised way back in the Before Time that was then held up from the sequester. 

Here's hoping for a notificationful day

Hey mmm97, did anyone answer your question? I was wondering too, because IF I get it I want to get new business cards and update my resume before a conference I'm going to at the end of May--assuming we hear by then, haha. I think on my business card I'll have the first line Debbie Jean Brown, PhD candidate and second line Fulbright Scholar, Zambia, 2014-15 third line Leadership Studies, Emphasis African Studies, then my school info and contact info. I would also lead with it on my resume. What do you think? Anyone else, feel free to chime in. Of course, I actually have to be Selected first!

Nope, they didn't. I ended up using "Fulbright Scholarship," but my school calls them Fulbright Grants sometimes. I just like the term Scholarship better. In the email, they use the term "Fulbright Award," which I didn't like as much, and they also refer to it as a scholarship. I think anything is probably fine, because all of those terms pretty accurately describe it, you know? I basically just ended up going with the one that sounded the best in context. However, I will probably write "Fulbright Scholar" on my resume (not 100% sure how I'll do that though). 

Sweden applicants....I just sucked it up and emailed Eileen again today. I'll let everyone know her response.

My fiancé is a pilot for the marine corps and just recently got new orders. Whether or not I'm here all next year greatly influences housing choices and such. It would really be lovely to have an answer as we can't put off the move much longer.

Hahahaha!

I'm sure that your GIF would be awesome. 

Mozartgirl53, you are definitely one of my favorite people on this forum. You are so sweet! You better get the Fulbright because your project in Zambia sounds awesome. I'd be so upset if you didn't get it--like I was for kbui.

Edited by GnosisExchange

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!  I CAN'T BREATHE...I LITERALLY...CANNOT BREATHE...I FEEL LIKE I'M DROWNING...I'M DIZZY AND LIGHT HEADED...  YOU GUYS GOTTA HELP ME DECONSTRUCT THIS...

Email from Jermaine an hour ago:

To:  Deborah Brown,

This is a reminder to please arrange for your official transcript to be sent to IIE as soon as possible. The transcript must be the original, registrar generated transcript and in a sealed envelope when mailed in hard copy. Failure to submit in a timely manner may delay the notification of the next stage of your application in the Fulbright U.S. Student award process.

We are missing the following transcript(s):

PhD degree granting/expected institution (Gonzaga University)

If you have requested the transcript(s), you may want to check with the registrar to verify when they were sent.  Please allow at least 2-3 weeks for the transcripts to reach IIE and be processed.  Also, be sure that the transcripts are clearly addressed to:

US Student Programs

Institute of International Education

809 UN Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Please contact me if you have any questions.

MY RESPONSE 30 MINUTES AGO:

Dear Mr. Jones,

Thank you for notifying me about this! I am horrified. I ordered those transcripts months ago. I have just re-ordered them and payed for overnight delivery. However, the National Clearing House is closed today for Good Friday. They should send them out by Tuesday or Wednesday at the very latest, and you should receive them the following day. I apologize sincerely for this.

I assume since you only mentioned Gonzaga that my other transcripts (University of Washington and Cascadia Community College were received by you?

Thank you again for letting me know about this and giving me the opportunity to correct it. You will receive the transcript as soon as humanly possible.

Sincerely,
Debbie Brown

AND YES, I SEE THAT I USED ONE PARENTHESIS WITHOUT THE OTHER!  AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!

Please be honest with me, friends. Have I completely blown it? Did the fact that the National Clearing House somehow bungled my transcript last January just cost me a Fulbright?  Of course, if I don't get it now, I will beat myself up for the rest of my life for the missing transcript! Feedback, PLEASE!  :unsure::(

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!  I CAN'T BREATHE...I LITERALLY...CANNOT BREATHE...I FEEL LIKE I'M DROWNING...I'M DIZZY AND LIGHT HEADED...  YOU GUYS GOTTA HELP ME DECONSTRUCT THIS...

This is a reminder to please arrange for your official transcript to be sent to IIE as soon as possible. The transcript must be the original, registrar generated transcript and in a sealed envelope when mailed in hard copy. Failure to submit in a timely manner may delay the notification of the next stage of your application in the Fulbright U.S. Student award process.

If you have requested the transcript(s), you may want to check with the registrar to verify when they were sent.  Please allow at least 2-3 weeks for the transcripts to reach IIE and be processed.  Also, be sure that the transcripts are clearly addressed to:

US Student Programs

809 UN Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Dear Mr. Jones,

Thank you for notifying me about this! I am horrified. I ordered those transcripts months ago. I have just re-ordered them and payed for overnight delivery. However, the National Clearing House is closed today for Good Friday. They should send them out by Tuesday or Wednesday at the very latest, and you should receive them the following day. I apologize sincerely for this.

I assume since you only mentioned Gonzaga that my other transcripts (University of Washington and Cascadia Community College were received by you?

Thank you again for letting me know about this and giving me the opportunity to correct it. You will receive the transcript as soon as humanly possible.

Sincerely,

Debbie Brown

Please be honest with me, friends. Have I completely blown it? Did the fact that the National Clearing House somehow bungled my transcript last January just cost me a Fulbright?  Of course, if I don't get it now, I will beat myself up for the rest of my life for the missing transcript! Feedback, PLEASE!  :unsure::(

While I understand completely your panic and frustration, I actually would not worry about it at all!  I do not think that it would negatively impact your chances at all.

In the email, it says "Failure to submit in a timely manner may delay the notification of the next stage of your application in the Fulbright U.S. Student award process."  This is not implying that it will impact your chances.  It is only saying that you might find out later.  

Actually, I might even look at this as a good thing.  SSA apparently already made decisions, right?  They are just getting state department approval. Maybe they are hunting your transcripts down, because you got it.  They wouldn't really care if you were Not Selected, right?  That is just a thought of mine.  Either way, I would not worry about it!!!  Also, regardless of whether or not you are selected, I do not think it depends on this at all.

Also, weren't they going to email us back in Feb if they didn't get our transcripts?  So, its not your fault at all that they only emailed you now!

I understand that this is extremely frustrating and annoying.  However, I would imagine that Fulbright understands that things happens outside of our control.  We can only order transcripts and send them in the fastest way possible.  We cannot control things on the other end.  There are so many things that happen outside of our control, and we can only do what we can.

While it seems like the worse thing ever at the moment, it really isn't.  :D 

Have a good holiday weekend!

US Student Programs

809 UN Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Dear Mr. Jones,

Sincerely,

Debbie Brown

No way I don't think you have blown it, as a matter of fact it's a good sign that they took time to send you an email and request another copy of your transcript. This happens trust me, sometimes the uni doesn't send things on time. This happened to me once except it was for the Gilman (the undergrad version of the Fulbright) so take a deep breath and relax, just make sure you send the transcripts asap to them and hope for the best! 

US Student Programs

809 UN Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Dear Mr. Jones,

Sincerely,

Debbie Brown

Relax!

I am sure this is stressful, but you got back to them right away. I doubt that Fulbright would penalize you for someone else's mistake. Additionally, what I think this points out is just how far behind the State Department is since they said they would notify us of missing transcripts quickly after the February deadline. Just relax, you did what they asked and now you need to go on with your life as normal (except maybe just prepare for an even more prolonged wait).

Mozartgirl53, I think you'll get if and if you don't it will be Fulbright's loss, not yours. If worse comes to worse, there are other funding opportunities. I believe in both your project and your passion and I am sure most of the other people on this forum do as well. If I had the money, I'd probably create a fellowship just for your project (and Oliowoo's).

Meatupdoes, japaniia, and GnosisExchange, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I'm sitting at my desk literally (for real) in tears reading your kind and comforting words of assurance. I was thinking the opposite...that if I were a non-select they'd want to cross their t's and dot their i's so I couldn't come back later and say they rejected me without even having my official transcripts. But I can see it your way too. I'm guessing it's just one more thing they have to have before they send out notifications. I truly hope this doesn't hold up all the SSA notifications for everyone! I would feel terrible if that happened! The waiting is just getting more stressful by the minute! I was great, fine, cool, right up to about April 10. From there on I've been freaking out a little bit more each day.

I ran some numbers, and this is for full study/research ONLY,  but they get right around 5,000 applications a year and hand out right around 830 or so grants, giving the overall odds of approximately 17%. Interestingly, applicants to Western Europe constitute around 22% of all study/research applicants, and comprise about 29% of grantees. But really, I think looking at your country is a much better gauge of acceptance odds. Of course, you all know I'm just blabbing away, running numbers to get something, anything into my head except that email! But I really, truly thank you so much for your support. You are the only people in the world who would get why I reacted the way I did and I am grateful.

US Student Programs

809 UN Plaza

New York, NY 10017

Dear Mr. Jones,

Sincerely,

Debbie Brown

Sooo.. I had this same thing happen to me and I just found out that I got into Moldova... so you really have no reason to worry! I just ordered another transcript immediately :)

Sooo.. I had this same thing happen to me and I just found out that I got into Moldova... so you really have no reason to worry! I just ordered another transcript immediately :)

I really hope this turns out to be the same situation for you Mozartgirl, I am hardcore cheering you on!!

Actually when I read "OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!  I CAN'T BREATHE...I LITERALLY...CANNOT BREATHE...I FEEL LIKE I'M DROWNING...I'M DIZZY AND LIGHT HEADED..." I was thinking  "YES!!! She got it!!!"

Meatupdoes, japaniia, and GnosisExchange, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I'm sitting at my desk literally (for real) in tears reading your kind and comforting words of assurance. I was thinking the opposite...that if I were a non-select they'd want to cross their t's and dot their i's so I couldn't come back later and say they rejected me without even having my official transcripts. But I can see it your way too. I'm guessing it's just one more thing they have to have before they send out notifications. I truly hope this doesn't hold up all the SSA notifications for everyone! I would feel terrible if that happened! The waiting is just getting more stressful by the minute! I was great, fine, cool, right up to about April 10. From there on I've been freaking out a little bit more each day.

I ran some numbers, and this is for full study/research ONLY,  but they get right around 5,000 applications a year and hand out right around 830 or so grants, giving the overall odds of approximately 17%. Interestingly, applicants to Western Europe constitute around 22% of all study/research applicants, and comprise about 29% of grantees. But really, I think looking at your country is a much better gauge of acceptance odds. Of course, you all know I'm just blabbing away, running numbers to get something, anything into my head except that email! But I really, truly thank you so much for your support. You are the only people in the world who would get why I reacted the way I did and I am grateful.

I completely understand.  I also feel like it comes in waves.  I was fine with waiting till like April 15 then my nerves went crazy.  I would not worry about the notifications either.  What happens will happen, and we will meet it when it comes. <--- My attempt to be zen about this entire thing.  :)

Congratulations!!  :DDD

Congratulations on Moldova!

Edited by GnosisExchange

I really hope this turns out to be the same situation for you Mozartgirl, I am hardcore cheering you on!!

Actually when I read "OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!  I CAN'T BREATHE...I LITERALLY...CANNOT BREATHE...I FEEL LIKE I'M DROWNING...I'M DIZZY AND LIGHT HEADED..." I was thinking  "YES!!! She got it!!!"

Actually, I did too.

I think in Fulbright/FPA orientation they should make it a rule that FPAs can't send an email titled " Your Fulbright Application"  unless actually related to your application. I just received an email from the Office of National Scholarships at my school with that title, but it was actually asking me if I am planning to graduate this semester. And just when I finally mastered not being fazed by the Fulbright Student blog emails...

Congrats!!! How exciting!! I immediately dropped everything I was doing and frantically checked my inbox (I'm also a Eurasia applicant, for Armenia)

Question for those of you filling out the med form - did you just go to your primary physician and have him/her fill everything out? This is what I just did. The only thing I had done by someone else was the gyno exam, but he had access to the records. 

Also - does anyone know if Indonesia is an area that requires the G6PD? I know that my area is moderate malaria risk according to the CDC. However, when I called Fulbright to get more details about this I was told (quite rudely) to call the Indonesian Consulate. They are closed today for Good Friday. Has anyone found out by any chance?

Good luck to those of you still waiting!

I think in Fulbright/FPA orientation they should make it a rule that FPAs can't send an email titled " Your Fulbright Application"  unless actually related to your application. I just received an email from the Office of National Scholarships at my school with that title, but it was actually asking me if I am planning to graduate this semester. And just when I finally mastered not being fazed by the Fulbright Student blog emails...

Why would an email asking if you were graduating have Fulbright on the subject line?

Why would an email asking if you were graduating have Fulbright on the subject line?

They are debating recognizing national scholarship winners and alternates at this spring's graduation ceremony. However, since it has nothing to do with the status of my actual application, I was momentarily confused about what they were asking me when I first read the email.

Question for those of you filling out the med form - did you just go to your primary physician and have him/her fill everything out? This is what I just did. The only thing I had done by someone else was the gyno exam, but he had access to the records. 

Also - does anyone know if Indonesia is an area that requires the G6PD? I know that my area is moderate malaria risk according to the CDC. However, when I called Fulbright to get more details about this I was told (quite rudely) to call the Indonesian Consulate. They are closed today for Good Friday. Has anyone found out by any chance?

Good luck to those of you still waiting!

I would imagine that you would need G6PD testing for Indonesia.  On the CDC website, it says this about malaria in Indonesia: "P. falciparum 66%, remainder primarily P. vivax." If you get P. vivax malaria, you can have relapses of the malaria.  The parasites can hide in your liver.  The way that they treat these relapses is through primaquine.  It is referred to as the "radical cure" in malaria literature.  However, you cannot take primaquine if you have G6PD.  Therefore, I would highly suspect that you would need testing.

This is not based on any knowledge from the consulate or fulbright or information from a physician. It is just my personal understanding based on taking wayyyy too many courses on malaria and tropical diseases and writing way too many papers on P. vivax.   :D

Edited by meupatdoes

I would imagine that you would need G6PD testing for Indonesia.  On the CDC website, it says this about malaria in Indonesia: "P. falciparum 66%, remainder primarily P. vivax." If you get P. vivax malaria, you can have relapses of the malaria.  The parasites can hide in your liver.  The way that they treat these relapses is through primaquine.  It is referred to as the "radical cure" in malaria literature.  However, you cannot take primaquine if you have G6PD.  Therefore, I would highly suspect that you would need testing.

This is not based on any knowledge from the consulate or fulbright or information from a physician. It is just my personal understanding based on taking wayyyy too many courses on malaria and tropical diseases and writing way too many papers on P. vivax.   :D

Thanks!  This is what I was leaning towards as well. It's a little bit stressful because I probably have to wait for results before I send my med form in - but of course Indonesia is meeting May and needs my stuff ASAP (including clearance). Sheesh... 

Selected as an alternate for Moldova. Sorta keeping up hope, but expecting that this is it. I don't know why, but I had a sinking feeling that I was gonna get alternate. Gahhh, MORE anxious waiting. Olioliwoo, doesn't look like us Bulls are doing so well, huh?

Thanks!  This is what I was leaning towards as well. It's a little bit stressful because I probably have to wait for results before I send my med form in - but of course Indonesia is meeting May and needs my stuff ASAP (including clearance). Sheesh... 

Secret_Ninja, I understand your stress.  The medical clearance form is stressing me out since I go to school ~1,500 miles from home (aka. where my primary care physician is). When i told my mom I had to take care of it in six weeks, she freaked out! Luckily my college's health center can do the clearance since they have my immunization history and are used to doing Fulbright clearances every year.

They are debating recognizing national scholarship winners and alternates at this spring's graduation ceremony. However, since it has nothing to do with the status of my actual application, I was momentarily confused about what they were asking me when I first read the email.

Oh! Okay, that makes (some) sense.