Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I think it's the PhD level research grant.

Hmmm... I applied to do dissertation research but haven't heard any news. That said, your comment prompted me to check out other countries' information pages--I didn't realize that the breakdown of available grants differs so much among nations! Japan (the country to which I'm applying) has spots for 12 for graduate researchers, 10 for graduating seniors, and none for ETAs. Brazil has three categories, though none of them appear to be for a 5-month period, which is what the FB poster linked above has applied for?

That's the one I applied for, and I haven't heard anything yet.  All Fulbright U.S. student awards, whether for studying or doing full-time research abroad, have the same deadline and announcement dates.

I think it is for people who have their PhD, not PhD candidates. Perhaps one of the Scholar program? Note the 5 months detail in the post. 

What I meant is the program for those who already have a PhD or terminal degree, like professors, etc.

So the Fulbright Scholar program instead of the Fulbright Student program? Are the announcements for those separate? 

Edited by cewarren6

Yes, that's what I meant. Bah, can't even think straight anymore >_<

It's all starting to make sense.  Or maybe my brain is just becoming used to NOTHING MAKING SENSE.

This waiting, it hurts.

So I did call the Fulbright office like half an hour ago, the guy was nice, but gave me the usual 'look out for an email by Friday next week the latest'. I knew that was the usual response, but I called to see if I could get some sort of clues whether we will be hearing this week from his voice lol. My FPA said he always hear at the same time. This waiting is killing me, can't focus or study for the FSOT exam...

So I did call the Fulbright office like half an hour ago, the guy was nice, but gave me the usual 'look out for an email by Friday next week the latest'. I knew that was the usual response, but I called to see if I could get some sort of clues whether we will be hearing this week from his voice lol. My FPA said he always hear at the same time. This waiting is killing me, can't focus or study for the FSOT exam...

Hooray for you calling. BOOO for not actually finding anything out!

The announcements for the Fulbright Scholar, which is for professors who already have phds, are at a different time. its an entirely differnt program.

I'm not completely familiar with the Scholar Program, but at least for the "Core Scholar" program it seems notifications of recommendation are sent out in November and December (http://www.cies.org/us_scholars/us_awards/Notification-Timeline.htm). Who the heck is this person and what are they referring to!? 

November - December

CIES notifies applicants whether or not their application has been recommended for further consideration in the host country; this notification is emailed. Please let your CIES Program Officer know if your email address changed since you submitted your application.

I'm not completely familiar with the Scholar Program, but at least for the "Core Scholar" program it seems notifications of recommendation are sent out in November and December (http://www.cies.org/us_scholars/us_awards/Notification-Timeline.htm). Who the heck is this person and what are they referring to!?

November - December

CIES notifies applicants whether or not their application has been recommended for further consideration in the host country; this notification is emailed. Please let your CIES Program Officer know if your email address changed since you submitted your application.

She might have been an alternate?

She might have been an alternate?

I don't think they designate alternates for recommendation. I think that designation comes after recommendation. But I also don't think it's a Fulbright Student program, because she says 5 months, and from what I can tell both the Research and ETA for Brazil are 9 months for the Student program. 

I don't think they designate alternates for recommendation. I think that designation comes after recommendation. But I also don't think it's a Fulbright Student program, because she says 5 months, and from what I can tell both the Research and ETA for Brazil are 9 months for the Student program.

I meant alternate for Scholar program that otherwise would've had final notifications in December

I meant alternate for Scholar program that otherwise would've had final notifications in December

The notifications that came in December for them were recommendation notifications, not final status. So I still don't know what this person is referring to...

Looks like that Facebook post was by an academic named Theresa Robbins Dudeck, who holds a PhD and is a university instructor. Whatever Fulbright grant she's talking about, it's not the student program that most of us have applied for.

By the way, anyone else here simultaneously going through the law school admissions process? :P

No, but I have been through the process and am a young attorney, so feel free to hit me up with any questions you have! Good on you for doing both at the same time--wow!

No, but I have been through the process and am a young attorney, so feel free to hit me up with any questions you have! Good on you for doing both at the same time--wow!

Only applied two places, so wasn't exactly a herculean effort heh

Only applied two places, so wasn't exactly a herculean effort heh

You don't want to do it anyway.  It is a terribly boring life.  I'm one of the lucky ones having had clerkships and a job that my classmates would love to have had.  And, yeah, sure, I've got a great view out of my 20th floor windows, my secretary will bring me lunch if I ask her, and I make quite a bit of money, but I have a feeling that if you're on this page/applying for a fulbright, there is some bit of artist or philosopher in you.  Law will certainly kill that.  I hope you get the fulbright.