Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

If I don't get recommended (like I did last year), I'm going to drink a bottle of bourbon and listen to every Tom Waits album I have (while wallowing in self-pity and despair). If I get recommended, I'm going to do the same think but with Sister Christian by Night Ranger on repeat (oh, and without the self-pity and despair).

Good song! :)

My last concert was Night Ranger, Foreigner, and Journey. Simply put, very EPIC!

Welcome to the forum (or as I like to call it Anxiety Fest 2014)!

If it's a regular student research grant, I find it very strange that the university would submit his application without those components given the following requirements:

"Proficient spoken and written Italian commensurate with the project is required at the time of application. Language study begun after applying is considered insufficient. The U.S.-Italy Fulbright Commission will make no provision for Italian language instruction."

"A letter of invitation/affiliation must be submitted with the application."

I know! But they did, because apparently you can still submit an application without the affiliation but if it's recommended in January, you must have the affiliation letter present. Same goes for the recs - apparently you can have ONE letter missing, no matter if it's the language evaluation or a general academic recommendation. I just wouldn't think the chances of acceptance would be high with these two factors - even if the project is stellar. Thoughts?

Wow guys. Wow. I feel like a ball of nerves.

I guess the most important thing to remember is that regardless of the news tomorrow, our lives will end up as their supposed to. Hopefully it will go as we want it to, but there WILL be other opportunities... If you are the type of person who puts the effort forth to apply for something like this grant, then you are the type of person who will make other amazing things happen in your life. This is merely one link in the chain...

I am saying that as much to myself as I am to any of you who are reading it.

That being said, GOOD LUCK to all of you!

Fulbright Colombia just contacted me asking for an Interview in Spanish via skype. Does anyone have advice? If you took it last year, what were some of the general questions? I might not even make it to Jan. 31st for the interview because my nerves are killing me.

Thanks!

Yay!! Congrats! I wish Singapore did something like this to tip their applicants off but the only language they required I speak was English :(

Yay!! Congrats! I wish Singapore did something like this to tip their applicants off but the only language they required I speak was English :(

That doesnt mean anything. The UK sitesaysthat they can ask applicants for an interview....so you never know who might want the interview!

this is going to be over the top, but in my mind, this is the march of the fulbright NSC, and also my anthem if they reject my application: YOU COULD HAVE BEEN ALL I WANTED, BUT YOU WERENT HONEST, NOW GET IN THE GROUND!!!

If I don't get recommended (like I did last year), I'm going to drink a bottle of bourbon and listen to every Tom Waits album I have (while wallowing in self-pity and despair). If I get recommended, I'm going to do the same think but with Sister Christian by Night Ranger on repeat (oh, and without the self-pity and despair).

(you're welcome for this link to this glorious song)

ITS TRRRRUUUUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!!

MMOTTORRRIIIINNNGGGGGGG! WHATS YOUR PRICE FOR FLIGHT!>??!

I wish I could up-vote this a million times...

Hey there,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did some digging and didn't find an answer. Does anyone know if reapplying to Fulbright ETA after you've previously turned down an ETA hurts your chances? In other words: I was offered a Fulbright ETA for 2011-2012, but turned it down for another fellowship. Now, I've reapplied this year for another Fulbright ETA program and I'm wondering if they'll look down on my application because I turned down a Fulbright ETA in the past. I didn't mention it in my application but maybe that's something they look up? Or do I just sound crazy? I guess I shouldn't worry about this at this point in the game, but can't seem to help myself. 

Thanks for your help and good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Hey there,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did some digging and didn't find an answer. Does anyone know if reapplying to Fulbright ETA after you've previously turned down an ETA hurts your chances? In other words: I was offered a Fulbright ETA for 2011-2012, but turned it down for another fellowship. Now, I've reapplied this year for another Fulbright ETA program and I'm wondering if they'll look down on my application because I turned down a Fulbright ETA in the past. I didn't mention it in my application but maybe that's something they look up? Or do I just sound crazy? I guess I shouldn't worry about this at this point in the game, but can't seem to help myself. 

Thanks for your help and good luck to everyone tomorrow!

officially stated fulbright policy is that previous applications, accepted or not, have absolutely no bearing on applications in a new year

this is going to be over the top, but in my mind, this is the march of the fulbright NSC, and also my anthem if they reject my application: YOU COULD HAVE BEEN ALL I WANTED, BUT YOU WERENT HONEST, NOW GET IN THE GROUND!!!

My fav song! Love coheed

I am starting to mourn the loss of the Fulbright even though I don't know that I was rejected. I feel so sad. I actually almost didn't apply for anything else because I wanted nothing more than to do my Fulbright project. I did end up applying to grad school, which I am happy I did. It is hard to not compare myself to all of the agonizingly brilliant students out there who are also applying for the Fulbright. If I do not get the Fulbright, I do think I have grown considerably throughout the process, and so I see it as worth it no matter what. 

Mojodreams,

I feel you.  But like my BF said to me tonight "You know nothing!  Stop saying that!"

He is going to get me ice cream later because he loves me.  I told him he didn't need to but he insists.  I'm curled up with a glass of wine, feeling both excited and sad about tomorrow.

Mojodreams,

I feel you.  But like my BF said to me tonight "You know nothing!  Stop saying that!"

He is going to get me ice cream later because he loves me.  I told him he didn't need to but he insists.  I'm curled up with a glass of wine, feeling both excited and sad about tomorrow.

I totally lied to myself when I said I'd get off this thread. A fool's dream, really. I'm also feeling excited and sad. If I don't get recommended, I know I have other things to look forward to, but as this has been my dream for the past 5 years, I still be very bummed.

Mojodreams, I completely agree with you. I've accepted the worst possible outcome so I feel prepared, but I'm also proud that I (and all of you who also submitted a Fulbright application) did the best I possibly could on my application and submitted something I am confident about. Heck, props to us for actually working hard and going through this process. I promised myself there are many other ways to get to Armenia, too. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us! 

So my mom is coming to town tomorrow for a meeting (She's a fancy preacher boss) and she just texted me and asked me to go to dinner with all of them at 5:30.........I'm either going to be an excellent guest or the worst one ever. What if I miss notification because I'm being polite and TALKING ABOUT THE LORD?!?!?!?!?!?