Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Ugh! I just got an email from my school saying I have a package--I left this morning for spring break (which will be spent on thesis). Even though I know that it is probably something else (esp. since I know acceptances will be announced through email), since I know that Fulbright used to announce acceptances with large manila envelops that would never fit into my campus mailbox, I just want to go pick it up. I keep picturing going to the mail room and getting a lovely surprise.

I sound so desperate! Oh well!

"Just remember everyone, that Fulbright CARES about us. It seems like the process takes forever, but dealing with each country's politics and regulations is no easy feat. I promise they are not sitting around laughing maniacally. "

my project doesn't have to do with anything political, economical, or anything regarding the usual topics with Korea. but it's an intense historical challenge for both parts and I'm really passionate about it. But because my project is so unique and a bit "edgy" I'm very nervous as to how Fulbright's Korean Commission will take to it. Lol I do wonder if fulbright really cares about topics that haven't really been explored. whenever I look at past projects I often see the same topics being done but from "different angles." and though my project passed the first round, I often wonder if I should have just done a normal topic to make them feel "comfortable" haha

Edited by ginagoestokorea

"Just remember everyone, that Fulbright CARES about us. It seems like the process takes forever, but dealing with each country's politics and regulations is no easy feat. I promise they are not sitting around laughing maniacally. "

my project doesn't have to do with anything political, economical, or anything regarding the usual topics with Korea. but it's an intense historical challenge for both parts and I'm really passionate about it. But because my project is so unique and a bit "edgy" I'm very nervous as to how Fulbright's Korean Commission will take to it. Lol I do wonder if fulbright really cares about topics that haven't really been explored. whenever I look at past projects I often see the same topics being done but from "different angles." and though my project passed the first round, I often wonder if I should have just done a normal topic to make them feel "comfortable" haha

Well, I don't even mean the nature of our projects. Can you imagine the logistics of connecting the some odd 2000 students that are awarded each year with their respective countries? Not to mention the 4000 applications that actually get sent out around the world. Each country has its own regulations for research, teaching, admission, you name it. Fulbright has to wait on those countries to go through their own political red tape before they can start to muddle through the next section of the US red tape. 

Try to look at the big picture and the giant machine that is this process. You are but one small application waiting for the gears to grind to the right spot for your card to get punched and processed. I think that the generation that grew up with instant communication is finding it more and more difficult to grasp these sorts of realities. I remember when a pager was the only way to get ahold of someone away from the house - and it was glorious because I could ignore a page. 

As far as your own worries are concerned - you gotta let it go. What's done is done. You clearly did a great job because you got a recommendation! Ruminating on the "should haves" will only serve to spiral you into a place that will not help you. Think about the great thing you DID accomplish and be happy about that. :)  

Well of course Fulbright cares I never said they didn't! :)  :lol:  I'm just trying to see if there's any other people here are constantly refreshing their emails and bitting their nails as they wait for the "ok" or "rejected" message (I need to hear I'm not insane for wanting to hear faster)! And of course...I can imagine the politics that goes beyond this...I think all of the fulbright applicants are aware of this. Just wish the process could be accellerated but again, that's a "wish" and not a demand haha. In my case, I know Spain takes forever to come up with decisions. I work at the study abroad office at my school and we have partner universities in Spain, and they've taken as long as 3-4 weeks to respond back to us when we have inquiries about the students we send abroad...so I KNOW that Spain is definitely one of those countries that takes longer to make decisions and I applied for the fulbright knowing this already. Obviously, we all want the same thing here: to hear asap, so like all of you, I'm waiting paitentily for the results  :wub: I'm kind of like the annoying kid parents take on a roadtrip and is constantly saying " are we there yet, are we there yet?"  :unsure:

Yeah, the application seemed kind of vague in that it left it open for us to decide what direction to take regarding the two locations in our essays. I'm also curious about the supplementary project, because I barely referenced a proposed project in my writing, so I wonder how much weight it holds. I mainly focused on Spain itself, my interest in languages and any resume experiences that I found pertinent to the essays.

I also applied for the Spanish Ministry English language assistantship, which I'm guessing some other potential fulbrighters also applied to, as well as a couple other teaching posts in Spain. So all my money's on Spain for the upcoming year! I suppose I'll (begrudgingly) have to look into grad school after that, since I probably shouldn't prolong real life forever. Something along the lines of international relations/development or public policy is my guess as to what I'll look into. 

Yeah I believe there are some countries that want you to pick a place, but Spain didn't so that's why I didn't reference anything. Again, about the project it really depends on the applicant. Since I've never been to Spain, I focused more on my experience in order to balance that out. In your case, I think it will in fact work in your favor because you know more about Spain than I do. I just wrote briefly about why Spain interests me more than any other country (cuz of the Model United Nations portion) since I had to justify why i'm applying there and not France or some other country. Oh good for you! So looks like you'll be in Spain regardless :) !!!!!! I only applied for the Fulbright since I didn't know about these other options, if I don't get it this year I'll do the other ones next year then! I'll never give up!! :) And grad school is awesome if you know what you're passionate about!!!!!!! Education moves the world!

Well, I don't even mean the nature of our projects. Can you imagine the logistics of connecting the some odd 2000 students that are awarded each year with their respective countries? Not to mention the 4000 applications that actually get sent out around the world. Each country has its own regulations for research, teaching, admission, you name it. Fulbright has to wait on those countries to go through their own political red tape before they can start to muddle through the next section of the US red tape. 

Try to look at the big picture and the giant machine that is this process. You are but one small application waiting for the gears to grind to the right spot for your card to get punched and processed. I think that the generation that grew up with instant communication is finding it more and more difficult to grasp these sorts of realities. I remember when a pager was the only way to get ahold of someone away from the house - and it was glorious because I could ignore a page. 

As far as your own worries are concerned - you gotta let it go. What's done is done. You clearly did a great job because you got a recommendation! Ruminating on the "should haves" will only serve to spiral you into a place that will not help you. Think about the great thing you DID accomplish and be happy about that. :)  

I'm just shooting some thoughts out into the atmosphere really. lol Pay no attention to my worries. I'm just the type of person who likes to braise myself for the worst outcome in case it happens (as well as prepare for plan B through J haha). But whether I get a Fulbright or not, I definitely won't let that stop me! I think this is just the first time I've actually put my life on hold for something like this. And yes, I am one of those people who constantly refreshes her email every hour haha I know there are some others out there that feel the same way. I am proud of making it to the preliminaries though. We all should! It is an honor. But this waiting process feels like i'm a little kid again playing with a Jack-in-the-box with that annoying song playing non-stop and you're just not sure when it's going to pop out! I feel horrible for anyone who has to wait all the way until May! haha 

Aside from this, I saw that there was a new forum on grad cafe for Fulbrighters who want to quit their study/teaching early and go home. I just stared at the screen like this --------> :blink:  Unless someone close to me passed away (God forbid!) I could not imagine that....but I know life happens... :-/

Anyway, I can't wait for next week! Hopefully there will be tons of notifications for lots of people on here whether it's my country or not. I wanna see results!  :lol:

I'm just shooting some thoughts out into the atmosphere really. lol Pay no attention to my worries. I'm just the type of person who likes to braise myself for the worst outcome in case it happens (as well as prepare for plan B through J haha). But whether I get a Fulbright or not, I definitely won't let that stop me! I think this is just the first time I've actually put my life on hold for something like this. And yes, I am one of those people who constantly refreshes her email every hour haha I know there are some others out there that feel the same way. I am proud of making it to the preliminaries though. We all should! It is an honor. But this waiting process feels like i'm a little kid again playing with a Jack-in-the-box with that annoying song playing non-stop and you're just not sure when it's going to pop out! I feel horrible for anyone who has to wait all the way until May! haha 

Aside from this, I saw that there was a new forum on grad cafe for Fulbrighters who want to quit their study/teaching early and go home. I just stared at the screen like this --------> :blink:  Unless someone close to me passed away (God forbid!) I could not imagine that....but I know life happens... :-/

Anyway, I can't wait for next week! Hopefully there will be tons of notifications for lots of people on here whether it's my country or not. I wanna see results!  :lol:

Really??? Can you post the link of the forum to see what that's all about? I couldn't imagine wanting to leave the program :/

As an at-large artist applicant recommended for a research grant in Mexico, I'm curious to hear from anyone else out there who applied at large, as an artist, or to Mexico. Someone mentioned Mexico many pages ago, but seems to have disappeared since then. It looks like we can begin expecting notifications for Mexico to go out in a little more than a week. I want this so badly, but I don't think I seemed as brilliant and charming as I'd hoped in my interview, so I'm looking forward to the notification with the same combination of anticipation and dread that many have already expressed.

Again, well said!

While I have been somewhat anxious to hear any news like everyone else, I am very excited to have even made it this far. It still doesn't seem real sometimes.

Apart from focusing on this achievement, another thing that has helped me be patient is the thought that I much rather the commission takes the time to select the finalists based on a fair criteria and not on impulse and that they make all the arrangements/notifications correctly. I would hate to be told I was selected and it turned out it should have been someone else.

Thank you for this. It really helps to put it into perspective. This is something I know, but being told it when I am freaking out is actually really helpful.  ^_^

So, while we're waiting... Anyone else for Azerbaijan lurking here?

Hey Vowel,

I didn't apply to Azerbaijan, but I have a friend who was a Fulbrighter there a few years ago. If you're awarded the grant (here's hoping!) and you'd like an introduction, I'm sure she'd be happy to chat with you. 

Good luck everyone! 

Hey Vowel,

I didn't apply to Azerbaijan, but I have a friend who was a Fulbrighter there a few years ago. If you're awarded the grant (here's hoping!) and you'd like an introduction, I'm sure she'd be happy to chat with you. 

Good luck everyone! 

That'd be great!

Hey I'm applying to Azerbaijan! For research grant.

Are you ETA or research? If research what's your topic and university affiliation?

Research for me too. I sent you a PM!

Really??? Can you post the link of the forum to see what that's all about? I couldn't imagine wanting to leave the program :/

I hope the link works :P For those of you who don't know, this is the link to the forum that talks about early termination of a Fulbright. The few countries mentioned in this forum was Korea, Germany and France from what I can remember. I think the best response was from a Brazil ETA scholar who said "You signed up for cultural exchange. This is a learning experience. You chose this opportunity so finish it out!!! You are not in danger so just remember what you are doing. When you leave you will regret it." It sounded like something a parent would tell their child lol but those words were so right. Others sort of went the "resume route".  Some stories are inspiring, others...well, you'll see. But read the whole thing before you judge. I personally would stick it out but I guess it's not for everyone. You never really know how you'd  react in these situations unless you're put in them. :-/ 

Edited by ginagoestokorea

As an at-large artist applicant recommended for a research grant in Mexico, I'm curious to hear from anyone else out there who applied at large, as an artist, or to Mexico. Someone mentioned Mexico many pages ago, but seems to have disappeared since then. It looks like we can begin expecting notifications for Mexico to go out in a little more than a week. I want this so badly, but I don't think I seemed as brilliant and charming as I'd hoped in my interview, so I'm looking forward to the notification with the same combination of anticipation and dread that many have already expressed.

Hi! I am also an at-large applicant for a research grant to Sweden....my application story is long, but I remember thinking I had no chance of being recommended because I was at-large and how quickly I applied. I still can't believe I'm still in the running!

I applied for a research grant to Germany. I was absolutely stunned that I made it to the final round- I think I started my application a lot later than most people. This wait is agonizing... I've also been getting a lot of rejections from PhD programs (I'm about to graduate with a BA), so that really kills my confidence for my Fulbright chances, but maybe I still have a chance with this? Maybe? 

I need some advice regarding Fulbright and grad school offers.

I got an RAship funding offer a few weeks ago from a  professor at a PhD program I applied to.  The school is one of the top two on my list of graduate schools.  The professor who offered me the funding knows that I am waiting on a Fulbright fellowship, but It has been almost 2 weeks since he sent the offer and I haven't responded.  If I don't get the Fulbright, I will most likely accept his offer since I've been wait listed by the other school in my top 2.  I don't want to keep him waiting any longer than I have to.  He has also said that I can most likely defer my acceptance to the program for next year, but the funding will not be guaranteed to be the same as it is now.

I want to contact the professor just to let him know that his offer is my top choice among my graduate schools, but I will accept the Fulbright if I get it.  Can you guys help me word this so that it doesn't come across as arrogant?

Hi! I am also an at-large applicant for a research grant to Sweden....my application story is long, but I remember thinking I had no chance of being recommended because I was at-large and how quickly I applied. I still can't believe I'm still in the running!

I've read that applying at-large doesn't inherently hurt your chances, but if you apply at-large you don't have the benefit of advice, proofreading, and whatever other help those who apply through their university can access. Now I'm curious about your long application story! 

Hi All! I've been lurking from the shadows for awhile and decided to finally post. I applied for Full Research Grant in Poland, and just like everyone else, I've been going nuts waiting to find out about the final decisions. I am running out of shows to watch to binge watch. 

51e585f262d4ab9c33417ee74143a8209bea20ed

I'm trying to distract myself with papers and homework, but it's not working; I just can't concentrate on anything! Awful timing too, since I'm taking a class with a prof that I eventually hoped might be my PhD advisor, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing fairly badly in his class right now, since it's hard to focus while I'm waiting for news. Maybe I should give up, subscribe to Netflix, and just check out until the results come back :)

Hi All! I've been lurking from the shadows for awhile and decided to finally post. I applied for Full Research Grant in Poland, and just like everyone else, I've been going nuts waiting to find out about the final decisions. I am running out of shows to watch to binge watch. 

51e585f262d4ab9c33417ee74143a8209bea20ed

This meme is too accurate. O_O!