Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Miri1776, what type of grant and country are you applying for? Maybe this email is specific to what you want to do...

Also, what was the subject line for the email?

Research Grant for Panama. My area of study is history.  I know that Central American countries are usually last on the list, but it was a weird email.

The Subject line: Fulbright Pre-Departure Orientation Save-the-Date

Susan Muendl [smuendl@iie.org]

I vaguely remember that last year only applicants to certain countries got this e-mail. And not everyone got it at the same time.

Do you know if there are different orientations for every country? I just figured they would have everyone there on the same weekend.

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics

I keep posting, but it's all bugging me. Fulbright just posted the statistics for this year.

Thanks miri, this is really interesting.  The updated Western Hemisphere table seems to suggest that Central America and the Caribbean decisions are still pending, but then where are all of these South American acceptances?  

The ETA table http://us.fulbrightonline.org/eta-program-charts) has been updated as well, but only in that they have different geographical categories - Asia, Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa - from the Study/Research grants now.  No numbers for total applicants and the # of grants 2014-15 column seems to be the same as the projected awards from earlier in the application season.  

Some of the changes are staggering. Malaysia ETA applicants more than doubled from 155 to 366! And same with Brazil... 169 to 401. Any reasons?

Also, curious on the Spain research grant (just because it's what I applied for). The applicant pool has shrunk from 143 to 97 in two years, but the amount of grant recipients has been pretty stagnant. Any ideas on what would cause the decrease? Thinking apolitically here (I don't think the European debt crisis would *really* be the contributing factor), we applicants had to write our statement of grant and our personal statements in both English and Spanish, and if that's a new thing, I could see that as being a turn-off to applicants because I didn't see that requirement for other countries. Just bouncing ideas now.

Some of the changes are staggering. Malaysia ETA applicants more than doubled from 155 to 366! And same with Brazil... 169 to 401. Any reasons?

Also, curious on the Spain research grant (just because it's what I applied for). The applicant pool has shrunk from 143 to 97 in two years, but the amount of grant recipients has been pretty stagnant. Any ideas on what would cause the decrease? Thinking apolitically here (I don't think the European debt crisis would *really* be the contributing factor), we applicants had to write our statement of grant and our personal statements in both English and Spanish, and if that's a new thing, I could see that as being a turn-off to applicants because I didn't see that requirement for other countries. Just bouncing ideas now.

Yeah I thought the increase for Malaysia was interesting. I remember my Fulbright adviser telling me that Malaysia was going to add 100 new ETA positions for our year- which didn't seem to happen. So I'm wondering if a lot of people might've been applying on that false information, which would suck.

Japan also requires that you write a version of your proposal in Japanese, and has also seen a fall in the number of applicants.  In the case of Japan, however, I suspect that it has something to do with a fear of radioactivity.  

I might! I mean, worse case scenario, I work hard so that I can teach in England. I'm planning on applying for a DAAD scholarship for the summer, so maybe with that and bit more work, I might make it in a few years, once I'm in the PhD phase.

Horb,

Have you thought about not taking the PhD offer since it's not your first choice, and then reapplying for everything (including Fulbright) next year? Time off can sound scary, but there are a lot of fellowships and year-long opportunities in the US, or you could work or intern in your field. You could also apply for something like AmeriCorps or even teach abroad. I took time off between high school and college and again between college and grad school. Best decision ever! And I got into WAY better programs and schools with more funding when I tried later. This is all just a brainstorming thought, of course! 

Check out ProFellow.com - it's a great resource for fellowships and funding, and the founders are super nice and helpful. 

Ok - bout to drop some numerology here to try to add some rhyme to the reason(ing) of our dear friends on the Korean selection committees. 

3/22/2013 - 81st day of the year, in the 12th week of the year - a Friday

3/27/2012 - 87th day of the year, in the 13th week of the year, a Tuesday

4/5/2011 - 95th day of the year, in the 14th week of the year, a Tuesday

4/16/2010 - 106th day of the year, in the 15th week of the year, a Friday

3/31/2009 - 90th day of the year, in the 14th week of the year, a Tuesday

4/1/2008 - 92nd day of the year, in the 14th week of the year, a Tuesday

SO - it looks like we can all stop compulsively checking our emails unless it's a Tuesday or a Friday. 

Now if we want to read WAYYY too far into this, one might make something out of the Tu, Tu, Fri pattern, and use that as a basis for assuming that we will find out on a Tuesday... The trend seems to be for week 14, but next Tuesday, the 84th day of the year falling in week 13, would fall nicely between the past two years' notification dates... 

Hooray for baseless speculation!!! 

Edited by arigold36

Hey charmaine1,

Don't get yourself too down,  the fact that you were recommended for a Fulbright to the MOST COMPETITIVE country in the world is an amazing thing!  You're obviously a talented and intelligent individual to make it this far and I'm sure you'll be successful in whatever you choose to do this coming year.

Hi NuclearFlea-- Thank you so much for the kind words. You're amazing. I think now I am coming to terms with it. I had two major grad projects due today and refused to allow myself to think about it until now. Maybe I'll reapply next year. Anyways, I am so very pleased that you were successful and am very excited that you will soon be in the UK. If you decide to create blog on your Fulbright experience, please post a link. I would love to follow your journey.  

I agree with NuclearFlea. Just by getting recommended for a country whose acceptance rate hovers around 5% is an amazing feat. Though I do hope you will reapply and become successful next time.

Hi kbui--Thank you. I agree that I should try and look at the positive. I am pleased to have made it this far. I can honestly say I am very honored to have just been recommended. I think I will work on my application more and perhaps reapply for next year.

Best of luck. I hope that you receive positive news. 

Actually, I think this page does give us the new statistics for ETAs: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/eta-grant-application-statistics

It's also on the Fulbright website, just in a different place. Not sure why they configure their site like that.

So according to the statistics, did someone just apply to Japan randomly and it wasn't even available?

And I can't believe Thailand got MORE applicants this year than the past two years for the same amount of grants! I feel very blessed just to be recommended!

Edited by kbui

Horb,

Have you thought about not taking the PhD offer since it's not your first choice, and then reapplying for everything (including Fulbright) next year? Time off can sound scary, but there are a lot of fellowships and year-long opportunities in the US, or you could work or intern in your field. You could also apply for something like AmeriCorps or even teach abroad. I took time off between high school and college and again between college and grad school. Best decision ever! And I got into WAY better programs and schools with more funding when I tried later. This is all just a brainstorming thought, of course! 

Check out ProFellow.com - it's a great resource for fellowships and funding, and the founders are super nice and helpful. 

Traveler_5563,

I did think about postponing my PhD program, but financially I cannot afford to do it. I had to pay for undergrad on my own, which meant loans that are triple the national average. I had to work during undergrad too, which meant I couldn't do unpaid internships. As I pretty much prepared for doing MA/PhD work since my freshman year, I never really prepared for anything else. Even if I just did retail, I wouldn't make enough to pay back my loans once the grace period ended and be able to pay for grad apps and whatnot, though I appreciate you posting that website. It may be helpful in the future :)

So according to the statistics, did someone just apply to Japan randomly and it wasn't even available?

It looks like it, and it seems that the same goes for Canada as well. Either that or maybe they just don't specify the number given out until decisions have been made.

Edited by kp_jabalí

Traveler_5563,

I did think about postponing my PhD program, but financially I cannot afford to do it. I had to pay for undergrad on my own, which meant loans that are triple the national average. I had to work during undergrad too, which meant I couldn't do unpaid internships. As I pretty much prepared for doing MA/PhD work since my freshman year, I never really prepared for anything else. Even if I just did retail, I wouldn't make enough to pay back my loans once the grace period ended and be able to pay for grad apps and whatnot, though I appreciate you posting that website. It may be helpful in the future :)

Hey Horb,

I worked through college too, so I understand the pressure you're under. I will just add here that many of these programs/fellowships let you defer your loans, so you wouldn't be burdened with that and could still reapply to Fulbright and PhDs. Two good friends (in AmeriCorps and TFA, respectively) were also able to work with their private loans companies, so those were deferred too. I'm just mentioning this because it's often easy to feel pushed into a corner about money and loans. 

Either way, I hope you're able to reapply to Fulbright - that's what I've done this year! 

Do you know if there are different orientations for every country? I just figured they would have everyone there on the same weekend.

Larger programs (like Germany) tend to do in-country orientations; smaller programs usually do the DC orientation. 

So I just found out that the FY2015 budget proposes a 30 Million dollar cut to the Fulbright program. As far as I understand that would alter the program tremendously, esp since it's not clear what part of the program will be most affected.

Stumbled upon this petition and page of arguments. http://www.savefulbright.org I think this should get more attention!

Edited by Carlpolisci

Ok - bout to drop some numerology here to try to add some rhyme to the reason(ing) of our dear friends on the Korean selection committees. 

3/22/2013 - 81st day of the year, in the 12th week of the year - a Friday

3/27/2012 - 87th day of the year, in the 13th week of the year, a Tuesday

4/5/2011 - 95th day of the year, in the 14th week of the year, a Tuesday

4/16/2010 - 106th day of the year, in the 15th week of the year, a Friday

3/31/2009 - 90th day of the year, in the 14th week of the year, a Tuesday

4/1/2008 - 92nd day of the year, in the 14th week of the year, a Tuesday

SO - it looks like we can all stop compulsively checking our emails unless it's a Tuesday or a Friday. 

Now if we want to read WAYYY too far into this, one might make something out of the Tu, Tu, Fri pattern, and use that as a basis for assuming that we will find out on a Tuesday... The trend seems to be for week 14, but next Tuesday, the 84th day of the year falling in week 13, would fall nicely between the past two years' notification dates... 

Hooray for baseless speculation!!! 

Haha! Are you implying the 24th will be the day?