Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

It looks like it, and it seems that the same goes for Canada as well. Either that or maybe they just don't specify the number given out until decisions have been made.

Japan doesn't offer ETA. I think it is because they are very committed to their own program, JET. Also, they speak English in Canada; they wouldn't need ETA.

Haha! Are you implying the 24th will be the day?

I'm implying that looking very closely at the trends from past years, the 25th (24th is next Monday...) would seem to be a probable date. But your guess is as good as mine...

Edited by arigold36

Omg, I'm having a heart attack! I just found out I got into France!!! Has anyone else heard back as well?

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is amazing news Neurona :D

I also heard back, but as of now I am an Alternate. I found out the news right before going to my class last night, so to say it was hard to focus and keep it together is an understatement.

At least I get to sit back and wait some more with an amazing group of people :)

Edited by olioliwoo

Here's what the email looked like for the curious and future Fulbright applicants:

Subject: Fulbright Application Status (A)

We wish to inform you that you have been designated as an Alternate for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Thus you would receive an award only in the event that someone withdraws or additional funding becomes available.   While you have not currently been selected as a Principal candidate, your selection as an Alternate for a Fulbright award is, in itself, an achievement for which you can be justly proud. 
Please know we have no way of predicting the chances of an Alternate’s promotion to Principal, nor do we maintain ranked lists of Alternates. Promotions may depend on the profile of the Principal who declines a grant offer or other factors.

The majority of Principal candidates are given one month to make their decisions regarding acceptance or declination of an award. You can assume that the Principal candidates for your country are being notified simultaneously with this notice to you. Therefore, you can estimate the time frame in which most students will accept or decline their award offers. The chance of promotion will be greatest during the spring months, and then steadily decline as time goes on.   However, we maintain Alternate lists until the grant year closes and will ONLY contact you if an opening occurs.

It is our hope that you would be available to accept a grant should it be offered. In the meantime, it is important that you advise us immediately if there is any factor that could preclude you from accepting an award. You will remain on the Alternate list unless you withdraw, in writing, from the competition.

No additional information should be sent to us in support of your application, as it will have no effect on your status. Also, please be advised that in the event that we can offer you a Fulbright award, we will try to contact you by telephone or email first. If you need to update any of your contact information, please email your IIE Program Manager. You will receive no further correspondence on your status unless potential funding becomes available.

I want to emphasize that your Alternate status in no way prejudices your chances for success in future Fulbright U.S. Student Program competitions.  Each year's selection is separate.  If you are not promoted to a Principal candidate and you wish to apply again for a Fulbright Award, your application will be considered solely on the basis of eligibility requirements, merits, and the placement possibilities in the country of your choice.

We appreciate your interest in the Fulbright Program.

Sincerely,

Daniel Kramer
Director, U.S. Student Programs

Hi everyone!  It's my first time posting here  :)   Have a question for those who applied to UK:  When did you all receive the notification?  And how does the email look like?  I thought the notification is supposed to be mid-April (or at least that's what they told me during the interview) and I'm panicking here since I have not received anything from IIE to date.  >.<  Do people have different notification date? 

Thanks a lot!

Awesoooooome, is this for the eta or research grant in France? Also what city!!

First of all-- thank you everyone for the congratulations! I hope everyone here hears some good news as well :)

And it was from the research grant in Paris!!! I can't wait to live there again!

Also the Fulbright advisor from my university told me that someone else from my college got into France ETA, so I suppose they heard back as well!

Good luck everyone!

I also heard back, but as of now I am an Alternate. I found out the news right before going to my class last night, so to say it was hard to focus and keep it together is an understatement.

At least I get to sit back and wait some more with an amazing group of people :)

Thank you!! It's a great achievement to be made an alternate as well!

Hi everyone!  It's my first time posting here  :)   Have a question for those who applied to UK:  When did you all receive the notification?  And how does the email look like?  I thought the notification is supposed to be mid-April (or at least that's what they told me during the interview) and I'm panicking here since I have not received anything from IIE to date.  >.<  Do people have different notification date? 

Thanks a lot!

I heard back two days ago. As did all the other UK people. It is my understanding all the notifications were sent out. We were told mid-April, but I'm not sure. 

Thank you!! It's a great achievement to be made an alternate as well!

Neurona, congratulations on your wonderful news! Olioliwoo, congratulations to you as well on being designated as an alternate!

Thank you guys :)

I'm trying to stay realistically hopeful about my chances of being promoted to Accepted. The one thing I found interesting in the email I got was that it's not necessarily a straight ranking system (1st alt, 2nd alt, etc.). It sounds like if a person who was going to study art history declines they might select the alternate who also wanted to study art history as the substitute.

Another piece of information I found out from my FPA is that the grant year runs from September/October 2014 and closes May/June 2015. While probably very rare, an alternate could theoretically get a call or email in the middle of December to go.

First of all-- thank you everyone for the congratulations! I hope everyone here hears some good news as well :)

And it was from the research grant in Paris!!! I can't wait to live there again!

Also the Fulbright advisor from my university told me that someone else from my college got into France ETA, so I suppose they heard back as well!

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations, Neurona!!!!!!!!! So exciting!!!!!!

Olioliwoo,

Personally, I would hate the limbo of alternate status (I like security), but I have to say congratulations.

You made it to alternate status in France!

That is amazing! I mean, this year the acceptance rate is only about 13.5%--a lot lower than many great colleges and universities in the US. Not to mention, I imagine art history is particularly competitive since I am sure there are plenty of people seeking to study it in France. Even if you don't get it, this proves you are a very competitive applicant and could win in a different cycle. 

Good luck!

Best,

GE

:/ I hope you get a chance to become alternate-turned-accepted. You've been a great moral and informational contributor on here, and it's not fair that someone like you don't get a chance to reach (one of) her dreams.

Olioliwoo,

Personally, I would hate the limbo of alternate status (I like security), but I have to say congratulations.

That is amazing! I mean, this year the acceptance rate is only about 13.5%--a lot lower than many great colleges and universities in the US. Not to mention, I imagine art history is particularly competitive since I am sure there are plenty of people seeking to study it in France. Even if you don't get it, this proves you are a very competitive applicant and could win in a different cycle. 

Good luck!

Best,

GE

Hm, I've actually never thought about the acceptance rates that way.

Here's what the email looked like for the curious and future Fulbright applicants:

Subject: Fulbright Application Status (A)

We wish to inform you that you have been designated as an Alternate for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. Thus you would receive an award only in the event that someone withdraws or additional funding becomes available.   While you have not currently been selected as a Principal candidate, your selection as an Alternate for a Fulbright award is, in itself, an achievement for which you can be justly proud. 
Please know we have no way of predicting the chances of an Alternate’s promotion to Principal, nor do we maintain ranked lists of Alternates. Promotions may depend on the profile of the Principal who declines a grant offer or other factors.

The majority of Principal candidates are given one month to make their decisions regarding acceptance or declination of an award. You can assume that the Principal candidates for your country are being notified simultaneously with this notice to you. Therefore, you can estimate the time frame in which most students will accept or decline their award offers. The chance of promotion will be greatest during the spring months, and then steadily decline as time goes on.   However, we maintain Alternate lists until the grant year closes and will ONLY contact you if an opening occurs.

It is our hope that you would be available to accept a grant should it be offered. In the meantime, it is important that you advise us immediately if there is any factor that could preclude you from accepting an award. You will remain on the Alternate list unless you withdraw, in writing, from the competition.

No additional information should be sent to us in support of your application, as it will have no effect on your status. Also, please be advised that in the event that we can offer you a Fulbright award, we will try to contact you by telephone or email first. If you need to update any of your contact information, please email your IIE Program Manager. You will receive no further correspondence on your status unless potential funding becomes available.

I want to emphasize that your Alternate status in no way prejudices your chances for success in future Fulbright U.S. Student Program competitions.  Each year's selection is separate.  If you are not promoted to a Principal candidate and you wish to apply again for a Fulbright Award, your application will be considered solely on the basis of eligibility requirements, merits, and the placement possibilities in the country of your choice.

We appreciate your interest in the Fulbright Program.

Sincerely,

Daniel Kramer
Director, U.S. Student Programs

Got the same email. I guess we will both be waiting at least another month. 

I'm trying to stay realistically hopeful about my chances of being promoted to Accepted. The one thing I found interesting in the email I got was that it's not necessarily a straight ranking system (1st alt, 2nd alt, etc.). It sounds like if a person who was going to study art history declines they might select the alternate who also wanted to study art history as the substitute.

Another piece of information I found out from my FPA is that the grant year runs from September/October 2014 and closes May/June 2015. While probably very rare, an alternate could theoretically get a call or email in the middle of December to go.

This is true but its quite difficult to drop everything in December and move to France for many people. I've heard of this happening with someone who became ill. They left in September or October without much notice. I guess if you can stay flexible good for you. I'll have to sign a new lease and my wife will have to sign another year contract for teaching, so we probably would not be able to pick up and leave with no notice. Good luck!

:/ I hope you get a chance to become alternate-turned-accepted. You've been a great moral and informational contributor on here, and it's not fair that someone like you don't get a chance to reach (one of) her dreams.

Aww thanks kbui  ^_^

Olioliwoo,

Good luck!

Best,

GE

Thank you GE :) I normally don't like feeling in limbo either, but it's better than the alternative of being non-select. My proposed study is actually related to evaluating the delivery of autism services (the art history statement was just an example).

Hm, I've actually never thought about the acceptance rates that way.

I wouldn't say it is the best comparison, but I think it is useful. I think for most college students in the United States college admissions serves as an easy-to-understand reference point--especially since highly-selective colleges love to brag about it. To me, it seems easier to conceptualize it that way because a fraction by itself just seems pretty useless to me.

That said, as with anything else it is not a perfect correlation I'm sure. Not to mention, Fulbright applicants are a self-selecting group. But, then again, so are applicants to the best schools in the country. 

I found something to distract from the cycle of refreshing your email every 5 minutes. This is another gem-filled link to the 101 most insane things that have ever happened in Florida: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-101-most-insane-things-that-have-ever-happened-in-florid

Some of my personal favorites:

• “Zombie” attacks guard in nudist resort scuffle, deputies say
  • Florida man calls 911 80 times to demand Kool-Aid, hamburgers, and weed
  • Pink-clad pooch stolen from gay bar by man with Britney tattoo
  • Florida accidentally banned all computers, smartphones in the state through internet cafeé ban
  • Man sprinkled fiancée’s ashes at LensCrafters, causing Florida mall’s evacuation: Sarasota Police

Interesting as I was selected as an Alternate to the UK on a Research award. For me I was competing for one grant and  maybe two. Per Fulbright neither of us were funded as money was not funded for this specific grant. They expect maybe June, and if so, I will get the nod, according to them. The selection process is odd, as you could be studying one thing and someone else who is studying something entirely different could get the principal selection. Really has nothing to do with what or how you wrote it, as alternates were technically selected.  Sometimes they look at year or two prior and see they had many people or a few studying what you may have applied for.. Thus, you would not be selected, as they are looking for something different. I prepared a project on security and they selected a project on leadership. So two completely different things.

I had three letters of support from UK Govt., and the project selected had one from a small university. So sometimes I'm not too sure the best project or paper gets selected.  I think it has to do with timing of project and how recent was it last done.

If your an alternate I would slightly adjust your proposal and resubmit.

Edited by Bluefit

Japan doesn't offer ETA. I think it is because they are very committed to their own program, JET. Also, they speak English in Canada; they wouldn't need ETA.

Correct, which is why we were thinking it seems strange that it shows one person to have applied to each of those countries

I heard back two days ago. As did all the other UK people. It is my understanding all the notifications were sent out. We were told mid-April, but I'm not sure. 

I see.  Guess I'll have to be patient and wait for a couple days more.  Thanks!