Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Glad to hear from other India applicants. I'm hoping to conduct research on the history of African American Jazz musicians that moved to India in the 1920s-1940s to escape segregation in the USA, as well as the impact of the US State Dept jazz tours to India during the Cold War of 1950s and 60s.

Wow, that's a very fascinating topic...I never that even happened...to India? Very interesting. There must be interesting stories attached to that.

I'm also waiting to hear from India. Finalist for a research grant for my dissertation in anthropology on sanitation development work and cultural constructions of cleanliness in Delhi. 

What's the deal India?!?!?  :unsure:

Hi JacquiC! Interesting grant proposal. Wishing you and the other India applicants the best. Someone from another forum said they emailed USIEF about the notifications and will let me know. I'll be sure to pass on any insights she might receive to all of you. ~John

Looks like my fellow Poland Research/ETA applicants and I had extremely bad luck this round. Definitely going to reapply for next year because I don't want to give up just yet, so does anyone know if other applicants have created a forum/posted information on what they did differently the next time they applied?

Congratulations to everyone that received acceptances today! And for those who didn't, I'm there with you going through all the stages of grief. This clip shows exactly what I went through as I found out the bad news during my internship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z3lmidmrY. In time you'll realize that even though it seriously sucks, there's always next year to prepare and apply (each time someone said that to me today, I wanted to punch their faces in). Hang in there!!

Hey, I'm sorry to hear this. It happens, but another opportunity will no doubt come your way. Echoing everyone else on this forum, just being nominated is a great honor and it means that your application was super strong.

If you have your heart set on teaching English in Spain my friend did one in Galicia and really loved it. She was paid 700 euros a month with free housing. I'm not sure the name of the program but I guess you can Google something along those lines. I remember the application was due sometime in May.

Sorry to hear that, but I love your positive attitude! Like you said, this is not the end at all, but rather one of many awesome opportunities that you will apply for!!!! Best of luck to you in all of your future endeavors!!!

I'm not sure if I got everyone (probably not) but I would like to thank you all for your kind words. It's nice to see such a wonderful group of people come together and support each other like this. As you all know, applying for a Fulbright is not an easy process!

Nothinger, I am debating looking into other programs to teach English there, but grad school is also an option at this point, so I'll have to make a decision soon. 

Varlet Sirin, I haven't decided yet. It's possible! I need to reevaluate my application and determine what needs to be tweaked, but tonight is not the night for that. :-) I don't know if this is true, but I fear the fact that I studied abroad in Spain during undergrad might have affected the final outcome of my application. I have heard that Fulbright isn't too fond of choosing people who have already spent a significant amount of time in the host country, but that didn't stop me from applying the first time! So...we'll see! 

Edited by yeloquehay

USA.J, what happened?

Your guess is as good as mine.

All intel suggests that the ROK in-country committee has convened and applications have made their way to the U.S. based FSB. As a general rule, the ROK in-country committee makes its final decisions in mid-March, so whatever delay we are seeing is coming from the U.S. side, NOT the ROK in-country committee. I am not sure how valid your Tuesday/Friday theory is, but if it is indeed SOP at the IIE for the ROK-AOR then it seems that 1 April is our next highly likely window of opportunity.

GLTA.

J

I wonder did any of the Spain ETA people get confirmation of the location or is everyone still guessing? I honestly don't have a preference but since Santander is cheaper than Madrid I'd probably pick Santander.

for my country they've sent out ETA but not research because... they haven't recieved the research results yet. so i think the delays can happen all over the place. i highly doubt the shutdowns had much to do with it, this is just how granting goes. all the competitions have gotten slower and longer over te past few years because all of these agencies are dealing with increased demand and increasingly limited funding. fulbright will getslower if the cut goes through (but still exist... in grant terms for a program this big 30 million is not a death sentence, just sadly limiting), but look at NSF? they're proposing to cut about ~40% of the budget for social sciences. and the fulbright hays, we all know what a shit show that grant is. this is the way thing are these days...

#shouldvemajoredinweaponscompsortech

Edited by padthai234

Oh wow you are???!!!! So awesome!!!!!!! :D:D Best of luck to you I sincerely hope you get it!!! Gilmans must rule the world! :D :D

LOLOL Thank you for your well wishes!!  :D  Couldn't agree with ya more on Gilmans ruling the world! LLOL

Going off the recent convos about budget cuts to the social sciences/humanities, how many Fulbright applicants here applied to do natural/life science projects? I feel like I'm in a super small minority haha.

Glad to hear from other India applicants. I'm hoping to conduct research on the history of African American Jazz musicians that moved to India in the 1920s-1940s to escape segregation in the USA, as well as the impact of the US State Dept jazz tours to India during the Cold War of 1950s and 60s.

OMG! Your project is so amazing~~~~! I really hope you get the Fulbright and write a book or something about this. I'd love to read about this fascinating topic! 

Thanks ginagoestokorea!!!!!! Best of luck to you too! Gilmans unite! <3 !!!! :D :D

LOL I didn't know there were Gilman scholars! I am also! Summer 2013 to Taiwan :-)

Woooot~~~! Nice to know there's another one of us :-) Go Team Gilman! haha I hope SmarteyMartey and I can join you and the others on Team Fulbright japaniia! haha  :D  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Hey! What about people who applied to Caucasus region? Have you heard any news when can we expect notifications? I would think that since they have so few grants they would make decisions fast but I guess that's not the case.

for my country they've sent out ETA but not research because... they haven't recieved the research results yet. so i think the delays can happen all over the place. i highly doubt the shutdowns had much to do with it, this is just how granting goes. all the competitions have gotten slower and longer over te past few years because all of these agencies are dealing with increased demand and increasingly limited funding. fulbright will getslower if the cut goes through (but still exist... in grant terms for a program this big 30 million is not a death sentence, just sadly limiting), but look at NSF? they're proposing to cut about ~40% of the budget for social sciences. and the fulbright hays, we all know what a shit show that grant is. this is the way thing are these days...

#shouldvemajoredinweaponscompsortech

Wait NSF is doing budget cuts for social sciences????? :((( I wanted to apply to it...and it looks like it will be even more difficult now to get it....:/

LOLOL Thank you for your well wishes!!  :D  Couldn't agree with ya more on Gilmans ruling the world! LLOL

Woooot~~~! Nice to know there's another one of us :-) Go Team Gilman! haha I hope SmarteyMartey and I can join you and the others on Team Fulbright japaniia! haha  :D  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Indeed, I hope the Gilman tean gets it...I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!!!! <3 Gah, I know the waiting game makes you nuts but being that I found like..3 weeks earlier than previous years...I hope you too find out ASAP!!!!!!!!! 

&amp;nbsp;

Has anyone contacted IIE to see when Germany ETA decisions will be released?

&amp;nbsp;

&amp;nbsp;

Also, not directly related, but for candidates who also applied to the USTA program, have you thought about what you would do if you are awarded both? I've been thinking about that dream scenario for awhile, but I don't know which one I would choose! I think I lean slightly towards USTA since there is the opportunity to extend the program to two years, but I don't know if it is foolish to give up the official Fulbright grant since I want to go into academia and Germany is such a bigger force in politics/economics/education.&amp;nbsp;

&amp;nbsp;

I applied for both as well, and initially I had the same thoughts. Then I found out that it is possible to stay another year in Germany as well. You are no longer a Fulbrighter, but the Paedagogischer Austauschdienst Program would still be your sponsor (for lack of a better word). And they will not pay for your plane, but that is no different from USTA. The deciding factor for me would be location, but I do not believe you are privy to this information upon acceptance. I already spent a year in Austria and have been to Germany several times, so I will figure it out if, and I mean IF, the time comes.

Edited by timetotravel

Indeed, I hope the Gilman tean gets it...I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!!!! <3 Gah, I know the waiting game makes you nuts but being that I found like..3 weeks earlier than previous years...I hope you too find out ASAP!!!!!!!!! 

Thank you for the encouragement! Definitely crossing my fingers to hear SOON. 

Then I found out that it is possible to stay another year in Germany as well. You are no longer a Fulbrighter, but the Paedagogischer Austauschdienst Program would still be your sponsor (for lack of a better word). And they will not pay for your plane, but that is no different from USTA. 

I've heard this before, but could not find information about it on the Fulbright sites. Is there somewhere that lists the guidelines for extending an ETA position in Germany?

Edited by kmshrader

A Fulbright ETA from my school extended her grant for a second year in Korea. Though I'm not sure if she was still considered a Fulbrighter, or the school just kept her for another year. I also remember reading somewhere that extensions/renewal are possible, but not too common. In either case, to have another Fulbright experience, ETAs just have to wait two years before applying for the research grant! :D