Anyone applied to Columbia MA Biotechnology?

coollsy

nicktim - Thanks a lot! I'm a little worried about Penn's engineering courses in their biotech program so I hope Columbia comes through. Hopefully if any one of us also gets accepted and decides to go to Columbia we can stay in touch over the summer! :)

yorkies - you are exactly right.  looks like you have done a lot of research.  I was also choosing between a few biotechnology programs, but I am going with Columbia because of the following:

1. The core classes fit what I need to learn in order to advance my career.  Other schools (comparable names) require theoretical classes such as biochemistry, organic chemistry  etc.  I want to keep my studying as practical as possible.  Yes, it is important to learn about the science, but I want to pick the curriculum that most fits with my background.
  2. Elective courses - very flexible at Columbia.  Can dabble in business, law, medicine, etc.  I really appreciate the ability to take these classes at Columbia.
  3. This might be biased, but I love the Columbia campus and the surrounding.  Having the luxury of running around Riverside Park and walking around upper west side is fantastic.  

Again, these are the reasons for ME to choose Columbia.  Everyone's background is different and you should choose the program that fits best for you.

yorkies - you are exactly right.  looks like you have done a lot of research.  I was also choosing between a few biotechnology programs, but I am going with Columbia because of the following:

1. The core classes fit what I need to learn in order to advance my career.  Other schools (comparable names) require theoretical classes such as biochemistry, organic chemistry  etc.  I want to keep my studying as practical as possible.  Yes, it is important to learn about the science, but I want to pick the curriculum that most fits with my background.
  2. Elective courses - very flexible at Columbia.  Can dabble in business, law, medicine, etc.  I really appreciate the ability to take these classes at Columbia.
  3. This might be biased, but I love the Columbia campus and the surrounding.  Having the luxury of running around Riverside Park and walking around upper west side is fantastic.  

Again, these are the reasons for ME to choose Columbia.  Everyone's background is different and you should choose the program that fits best for you.

Hey, this is really helpful to me, thanks! I definitely like that Columbia is very flexible and you can take whatever courses are best for you. While I love the program at UPenn the more I look into it the more daunting it seems - I don't come from an engineering background and I don't want to struggle in my courses! Of course if it was my only choice I would be more than happy to attend, I would just have to study harder I think. Is NYC your hometown? Can you tell us more about the Columbia area? Is there good food, etc.? I've only ever been to NYC once and that was many years ago, and only to times square. 

Hey, this is really helpful to me, thanks! I definitely like that Columbia is very flexible and you can take whatever courses are best for you. While I love the program at UPenn the more I look into it the more daunting it seems - I don't come from an engineering background and I don't want to struggle in my courses! Of course if it was my only choice I would be more than happy to attend, I would just have to study harder I think. Is NYC your hometown? Can you tell us more about the Columbia area? Is there good food, etc.? I've only ever been to NYC once and that was many years ago, and only to times square. 

NYC is not my hometown, but I have been living here for a few years.  Columbia is located in the "morningside heights" area of manhattan.  I love the academic vibe here and it's a few blocks away from the riverside park.  Good food?  Absolutely!  It's as eclectic as it gets.  Obviously, I will be focusing on my classes and trying to do well.  That's more important to me :)

congratulations nicktim! and wishing the best for everyone else as well! ahhhh i'm waiting too but that would also place me in the same shoes as yorkies LOL confusion between upenn and columbia...

@yorkies: considering you will be accepted to columbia (which you sure will), which school will you choose? what would be the greatest factor? it seems like columbia offers more variety of science courses (i'm leaning towards it because of this... actually) where upenn focuses much more on engineering and business aspect of the field... and i dont know if i want to leave ny either... but on the other i kinda want to... lolz

@nicktim: why did you choose biotech at columbia? i just want to know other's opinions :)

thanks

nicktim - thanks for the info! It's funny because here in Toronto where I live we have an area called morningside heights as well, but it's mostly just fields :P I love that Columbia is right in the city! I'm such a city person and I don't think I can stand living anywhere but the city.

newyorker - hey! Nice to see you on this thread! :) Well you probably remember from your thread a while ago I was pretty certain about attending UPenn... well I did more research and as you can see I'm not so sure now. Before I was pretty excited about the prospect of engineering courses because it seemed new and different but now to be honest I'm a little scared of them. Coming from a strict biology background I don't know if I would be able to do well in those courses. Columbia's program seems MUCH more flexible, there's seriously so many electives to choose from, so I feel like I can really cater my degree to my interests/strengths. I think that's the major thing for me. I also cannot deny the allure of NYC! So, if I did get into Columbia I think there's a good chance I'll go.

vcherneky - not yet for me. If we do hear anytime soon it probably won't be on a weekend. It's getting on my nerves too! We need to get our visas and everything >< 

Edited by yorkies

@vcherneky:  wow MD!

I graduated from University of Toronto majored in Health and Disease & Biology

Edited by coollsy

Heeeeey I'm from U of T as well!!!! :) Majored in evolutionary biology for my BSc.

And wow an MD! What are your reasons for pursuing an MA in Biotechnology if you don't mind sharing?? 

@yorkies: I started thinking on biotech after I decided that hospital life wasnt for me. I have actually done almost 2 years of general surgery...dont get me wrong, i love medicine i love surgery but the hours, the pay, the being on call every single weekend for the rest of my life... Its definitely something to think about... I actually dont care for other practices that are not surgery. i have always found biotech extremely interesting.. So i think a masters could be a good work ti start for a career change. We'll see in time but i would rather pursue quality of life than turn into one of those horrible surgeons that wont stop complaining about hours and monthly checks, while being extremely greedy. Believe me, in time all doctors become greedy and self centered. I used to work average 125 hs a week... There are no laws in Argentina that "protect" the medical resident by restricting work hours

That sounds pretty brutal, vcherneky. Good to hear that you're going for what you love, I think too many people just settle for something they don't enjoy and neglect to take a chance to make a change. That's very admirable! I wish you the best of luck.

Well, I randomly checked the gsas application website and there was a status update. Rejection letter :( no e-mail (yet).

Sad... but happy to attend UPenn and finally know where I'll be going.

Good luck to the rest of you! 

Edit: just received notification e-mail 

Edited by yorkies