Anyone applied to Columbia MA Biotechnology?

coollsy

... I got my notification email too.. but i'm too nervous to check...

:((

You can do it!!! :) No matter what happens, be proud of yourself :) This is such a gruelling process and the wait is probably the worst part.

Edited by yorkies

omg this thread is making me really freaking sad!!! I was really really hoping that you guys would make it at least :( it's obviously an extremely competitive program.... 

Im really sad i dont get it... maybe they dont take internationals...

yeah that's what it feels like, since all three of us are international

Sad... but happy to attend UPenn and finally know where I'll be going.

Penn's biotech program is in the elite group and you can't go wrong with the choice.  There is a vibrant life sciences community in the philly area and the academic atmosphere is fantastic.  Congrats on going to Penn -  I hope you can see the positives in every situation.  At the end of the day, you are getting an ivy league education and you will be just fine!   :)

I'm not sure. I currently work in business development for a biotech company. They have a branch in new jersey. After speaking to my boss he offered transfering me to the NJ department, which still means I could live in NYC. If this is the case then I will probably do the online program as part time so that I can continue working. I dont know... I dont even know why i didnt apply to Penn, I guess I wasnt well informed. What do you think? I'm starting to think that my MD and no scientific publications or hands on lab experience is what overthrew me at columbia.

I agree with Columbia not favoring towards internationals... these posts are misery after misery lol but whatever, we are better than Columbia guys! It seems like I'm gearing towards UPenn as well.

Yorkies - Are you fully decided on UPenn now then? It seems my options are running out and time wise. One random question: I never paid attention to it but what degree will we be conferred? Its not MA, MS... some section of the site suggest for MSE but others just say "Master of Biotech" = MB? Do you know? LOL

Vcherneky - I actually took a brief look into JHU's program while I was searching for programs. It's more of science focused then engineering side, which is the reason I favored Columbia over UPenn. I missed out on trying out for JHU though... Anyways, I'm sure you cant go wrong with their program either and it is one the the most prestigious institution in research sciences. Plus, if you take part-time aspect of learning instead of on-campus, you can continue on with your job as well meantime:)

I'm still very disappointed but at least i got into Michener for lab technologist program.

Like vcherneky, i don't know why I didn't apply for Upenn.. and I'm thinking about applying Columbia next year again and Upenn..

Yorkies: UPenn is very good school!!I really wish best for you

nicktim - Thank you so much! I really am happy to go to either. :) And anyhow, these are pretty short programs and after graduating you have the opportunity to go anywhere, which is great. Congratulations to you too, I am really glad that you will be attending a school that is the perfect fit for you! :)

vcherneky - I think my lack of biotech-related experience was my downfall... It's great that you might have the opportunity to work at the same time, but I think it depends on how you feel about an online-based program. Of course you'll probably have a more engaging experience on-campus, but having a job at the same time and living in NYC sounds pretty great. You have a pretty difficult decision to make!!! 

newyorker - Yes, I handed in my deposit for UPenn yesterday! :) Did you hear back from Columbia yet? I was reading over the curriculum again and all the course descriptions last night and since we're so science-focused I think the molecular biology track would be perfect for us! It's all science-y stuff that I'm familiar with, like immunology, genetics and cell biology. I am so not doing the engineering biotechnology track haha! I had like heart palpitations reading the courses for that one. There is no freaking way I am going to do well in those courses, especially something like engineering mathematics. I vowed to myself that I would never come face-to-face with linear algebra ever again. But, I dunno, it's still early, and I'm just going to skim over the useful texts they put up (http://www.upenn.edu/biotech/Useful%20Texts.pdf) and see which track would be best for me. YES, it is a different degree. I don't know how important that is to you. But Columbia's is an MA, and UPenn's is an MB (Master of Biotechnology). If you had to equate it to an MA/MS it would definitely be an MS since it is in the SEAS department. But I think largely MA/MS degrees are more for people who do a thesis (like in Columbia). UPenn's program does not require you to do a thesis, and you don't even have to do an independent study (although if you do the molecular biology track it is required). I kind of like having that option, and the independent study can also be an internship, which is great for some extra $$$. UPenn specifically calls it a "professional" master's so I'm thinking that's why they call it an MB, since other professional master's have their own names too, e.g. MPH, MBA, MSW, etc. 

coollsy - Thank you so much! I really wish the best for you as well regardless of what you decide to do. I know quite a few people who have applied to Michener this year and it will definitely lead you to a very good job! But, if you're set on biotechnology I think it's always a good idea to try again, and take the year to take on a job or do some research. Now that you've gone through the process once doing it again should be a lot simpler. 

na3eem - Judging by previous years' results it looks like people heard back quite late in May and even in June! I would definitely shoot them an e-mail if you're in a hurry. 

Edited by yorkies

Actually, I got an email from them today but not such a good news.... so I guess I'm heading towards UPenn. Now I have to give up on research here in New York... I was going to take a coordinator position but I guess bye bye to that and upcoming publications... darn:(

I'll think about it over the weekend and probably will submit deposit early next week. So if I do go I suppose we will be in same class!! About the question on what degree we will be conferred... not that it matters but I was just curious since I realized it differs from common degrees awarded for graduate programs. And you bet we will definitely be better suited for molecular biology track. haha engineering biotech? boo that LOL I would die trying to do heavily-focused engineering/math.

Edited by newyorker

Awwww, well it certainly makes the decision easy for us. I'm very sorry that you had to pass up those opportunities in New York... shame :( But I'm sure that after we complete the degree it would be a simple matter to search for jobs in the NYC area ;) And awesome!!! Once you decide let me know and we can keep in touch over the summer! 

Yeah honestly the degree probably doesn't matter that much, but it is quite confusing because "Master of Biotechnology" isn't common at all like you said. The closest thing I can find to it is the "MBiotech" at University of Toronto Mississauga up here in Canada. Most biotech masters are MA or MS. But I don't really think it affects your job opportunities that much. And yup I seriously don't know anything about engineering haha screw that! 

I'm not sure. I currently work in business development for a biotech company. They have a branch in new jersey. After speaking to my boss he offered transfering me to the NJ department, which still means I could live in NYC. If this is the case then I will probably do the online program as part time so that I can continue working. I dont know... I dont even know why i didnt apply to Penn, I guess I wasnt well informed. What do you think? I'm starting to think that my MD and no scientific publications or hands on lab experience is what overthrew me at columbia.

If the branch is in New Jersey, I would not live in NYC (assuming you mean Manhattan).  Living and working in New Jersey and visiting Manhattan a couple of times a month sound like a more viable option, in my opinion.  JHU's campus is near Washington DC, which is a couple of hours away (by train) from NYC/NJ area.  You can complete the biotech degree from JHU online, so that flexibility is great.

Will definitely let you know over the weekend or something by posting it here! You bet I'd like to be less foreign by at least having a friend before entering. And as far as opportunities go, I'm sure we will be open to more of them like you said:) We shall be fine!