When to update the CV...

guitargeorge

• 2 weeks later...

Related question -- I'm in a combined MA/PhD program. Should I just put the MA on my CV until I start my PhD coursework? Should I put the combined degree on there? I'm not really sure what the etiquette is there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I am jonesing to update my LinkedIn! I start in mid-August. Is now too soon to do it? I don't want to seem totally checked out of my current job, where I have 6 weeks left.

I have at least four CVs: one work-oriented and one academia-oriented (this is the one I uploaded in my applications), and both in two languages. I think that one has to merge two elements you've mentioned: applying for something and accomplishments. 

For example, in the midst of the application process I put together an academic CV. I was about to present two lectures and when I finally did, I updated the CV. When I submitted the application I had two papers in review, both of which were published early this year, thus I update the CV although I was not applying for anything.

My question is: when you begin a PhD program, how do you call that in first year? How do you put it in your CV? "PhD student"?