When to update the CV...

guitargeorge

i updated mine as soon as i committed, and for now, it says "entering august 2013." once i've started my classes, i'll probably change it to "anticipated graduation spring 2015" or something like that.  :)

I update things when they become official (this holds for everything from grants to publications). However, if you're not applying for anything at the moment and you don't expect your CV to make a difference, what you do is probably not terribly important. If/when you apply for anything, consult with your advisor about what and how to put things on your CV.

Huh, interesting. I kind of don't update my CV unless I'm applying somewhere, or just finished something and don't want to forget to about it, like a publication.

Huh, interesting. I kind of don't update my CV unless I'm applying somewhere, or just finished something and don't want to forget to about it, like a publication.

It's satisfying to update an accomplishment. Almost as much as crossing something off my to-do list :P

But yes, unless you're applying somewhere there is no reason to think that there should be any hurry.

I won't be needing my CV for a while anyway, so I chose not to change it yet so I don't have multiple "expected" degrees from different institutions listed.  I'll update social sites when I graduate in two weeks--it's soon enough anyway.

Yeah, I'm in my PhD program now for 8 months and my CV still says I'm still working on my MSc! I'll update it when I finally find time to set up a research website!

There can be downsides of keeping an up-to-date CV. The good feeling I get from moving a "manuscript in prep" to "under review" is far outweighed by having to move it back down again three months later ;)

Oh man I wish it was three months in my field ^_^

I used to update my CV whenever I had a new accomplishment, like getting a grant or fellowship. Then, I fell behind. In fact, I'm behind on it right now, mostly because I have no idea how to list one of my fellowships. I don't even have a publications section though. :(

I update mine when I have something major to add (new publication, invited seminar, major fellowship, grant, etc.), or about once every 6 months. 

If I wait too long, I forget everything I've been working on, and it takes a long time to update it. 

It makes a nice thing to do when I'm avoiding some project or manuscript, but still want to feel remotely productive. 

I don't have my CV in anywhere public (and the British CV is less of an "achievement list" and more of a fixed 2-page summary), so I don't intend to update it until I need to apply for something science-y.

The LinkedIn profile will get updated around the time when I start the program, I think. Just in case my visa gets denied or something... 

I'm amazed at how often I end up needing a CV with little warning (ie, not something I was planning on applying for). My PI might need it to append to a grant, or someone in the department for a grant renewal/fellowship application, etc. 

Never hurts to make sure it's updated at least fairly regularly so I don't have to drop everything and spend a few hours fixing it up. 

The thing, for me at least, is that once I made my original CV, it never takes more than like 20-30 minutes to update it. All the sections are already there, so I'm just changing the content under them (like updating my dissertation title, adding a grant [so funding source, amount, and year], etc.). It's actually not a lot of work, which might be why I put it off. But the consequence of putting it off is that I sometimes send out a CV without all of my small (travel) grants listed. For me, this is not a big deal because I have a bunch of travel grants for conference presentations anyway but, it would have been a bigger deal if it was happening in my first year or two of the PhD when every accomplishment mattered since I didn't have that many.

It's a great idea to get one started, even if you're at the "entering" status.  Keep it as up-to-date as possible as CV-worthy lines pile up quickly (Presentations, Publications, Departmental/Community Service, Grants/Awards, Professional Affiliations, etc.), and it's real easy for something to be forgotten or fall through the cracks.

I'm amazed at how often I end up needing a CV with little warning (ie, not something I was planning on applying for). My PI might need it to append to a grant, or someone in the department for a grant renewal/fellowship application, etc. 

Never hurts to make sure it's updated at least fairly regularly so I don't have to drop everything and spend a few hours fixing it up. 

This has been my experience during my first year. I applied for a couple of small grants that I only found after I developed a project proposal and started looking for relevant funding sources. Deadlines can be all over the place, so it's definitely helpful to have your CV ready to go if you hear about / find a funding opportunity that's due soon!

The thing, for me at least, is that once I made my original CV, it never takes more than like 20-30 minutes to update it. All the sections are already there, so I'm just changing the content under them (like updating my dissertation title, adding a grant [so funding source, amount, and year], etc.). It's actually not a lot of work, which might be why I put it off. But the consequence of putting it off is that I sometimes send out a CV without all of my small (travel) grants listed. For me, this is not a big deal because I have a bunch of travel grants for conference presentations anyway but, it would have been a bigger deal if it was happening in my first year or two of the PhD when every accomplishment mattered since I didn't have that many.

Ah, yeah. 

For me, it's always about updating the classes taught/University Committees served on/Outreach, as well as the "skills" section. In my discipline, a very comprehensive "skills" section of what you can actually do in the lab is usually quite important. 

I have a question about how to describe your graduate education status on your CV: 

I have a BA in art history and will be attending a PhD program (MA-PhD) this fall. The department only awards a masters as partial requirement for fulfillment of the PhD; therefore, there are no students who attend solely for a masters. 

Currently my CV states:

2010 BA, Art History - College name

How do I indicate my current graduate situation? I understand that currently I am a MA Student who expects to receive the MA in 2015 (2015 MA, Art History - College Name (Expected)); or if the department states that I should finish my PhD in 6 years, should I put PhD (2018 PhD, Art History - College Name - MA Student). 

Simply curious how other people are listing their status. Yale's graduate student page doesn't even state the status, simply the year the student is currently (First Year, Second Year, Sixth Year), etc. [http://arthistory.yale.edu/graduate/graduate_students.html]. My department only lists students as "Current Students" or "ABD". 

I have a question about how to describe your graduate education status on your CV: 

I have a BA in art history and will be attending a PhD program (MA-PhD) this fall. The department only awards a masters as partial requirement for fulfillment of the PhD; therefore, there are no students who attend solely for a masters. 

Currently my CV states:

2010 BA, Art History - College name

How do I indicate my current graduate situation? I understand that currently I am a MA Student who expects to receive the MA in 2015 (2015 MA, Art History - College Name (Expected)); or if the department states that I should finish my PhD in 6 years, should I put PhD (2018 PhD, Art History - College Name - MA Student). 

Simply curious how other people are listing their status. Yale's graduate student page doesn't even state the status, simply the year the student is currently (First Year, Second Year, Sixth Year), etc. [http://arthistory.yale.edu/graduate/graduate_students.html]. My department only lists students as "Current Students" or "ABD". 

In my program if you are a PhD student that is what you put regardless of your year (until you are a candidate). The masters is awarded upon request at any point after completing 36 credits and all of the required classes but it is not the degree you are in progress for so it isn't listed on any CVs that I've seen in the department. If you request the master's (so you can adjunct at the local JC or if you are going to transfer, for example) then you add it.

Mine is listed like this and I've been told by people reviewing my CV that is correct for the style:

2013 – Present | Ph.D. Global and Sociocultural Studies (Geography)

Florida International University

Miami, Fl

For reference my Bachelor's is listed as:

2011 – 2013 | Bachelor of Arts in Sociology/Anthropology and Geography (Double Major) – Summa Cum Laude

Florida International University

Miami, Fl

The date system you use varies by the style. If just put 2013 next to my BA I would put "In Progress" or "2019 (expected)".

Edited by jmu

I also use the date range. So for my current program I have "Dual-degree Ph.D. program in <department name> and <interdisciplinary program name>" with "2012 - Present"

To me that is easier than deciding on an "Expected" date for when I will finish (I have an idea of course, but really it's still just a guess at this point).

As for whether to put MA or PhD student, perhaps you could you use "MA-PhD program" if that's the standard progression. Does anyone go straight into the PhD? If you are technically considered an MA student at this time you could always use "MA program" and switch it to PhD when you finish the Master's requirement. I am not familiar with this system though, so this is just what I would do based on the information given.

I would do PhD program, and not worry about listing the MA. Once it's completed, you can list it along with your BA. 

For me, I have PhD in XXXXX, at XXX, In Progress. Estimated Graduation: Spring 2015

And I update it occasionally. 

I also have a blurb/abstract of my current research/dissertation prospectus, as well as the abstract from my BS Thesis.