2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Weird question, but is it unheard of to apply to MS AND PhD programs? I'm primarily applying to PhD programs but I'm thinking about applying to one or two master's programs in case I am not a strong enough applicant for a PhD program. I know funding can be limited for MS students but I'm being careful about that.

Any advice or stories?

That is exactly what I did. I applied majority PhD and then to one MS program as a back up. PhD is my goal but since my grades are not the top of the pack I wanted to have something to fall back on.

Undergraduate Institution: Mid Sized Private Research University
Major(s): Bioengineering
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.96
Overall GPA: 3.96
Position in Class: unknown
Type of Student: US white male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 169 (98%)
V: 162 (89%)
W: 5.5 (97%)

Research Experience: 

- 3 years in University lab

- 2 summer REU's

- 1 summer industry internship

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

- Dean's list all semesters

- University highest GPA in engineering  freshman and soph years

- Statewide industry biotech award and 10,000 scholarship

- applied NSF graduate fellowship

- various merit scholarships and awards

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

-tutor, peer mentor, TA, leadership organizations, honor societies and academic fraternities

Special Bonus Points: 

Applying to Where:

JHU BME

Duke BME

MIT BE

UPenn BME

Rice BME

WUSTL BME

U Mich BME

WF/VT joint BME

Syracuse BME

Ah! I received a phone contact from MSU last Wednesday, and have been waiting on the email to confirm dates.  Turns out, the email went to my spam box, which I just (luckily) checked.  The email was sent 5 days ago, and another email sent today.  I sent an email apologizing for my lack of response (explaining that it was in my spam), and ensuring her that I would get her the information tonight.  Worried this makes me look a bit bad. :/ ahhh.

Just a warning to everyone else - double check your spam boxes!

Since I foresee spending a lot of time on this forum in the next few months, I guess it's only fair to share my stats. Let's do this thing!

Undergrad Institution: Small, private university, definitely not well-known

Major(s): Undergrad - Biochemistry, Master's - Biology

Minor(s): None

GPA in major: 3.75 (undergrad)

Overall GPA: 3.72 (undergrad), 3.99 (master's)

Position in Class: Unknown

Type of Student: Domestic Female

GRE Scores:

Q: 158 (72%)

V: 168 (98%)

W: 4.5 (78%)

Research Experience: 1 rotation in a molecular lab working on protein expression, 1 year of thesis research in an Immunology lab, 1.5 years of thesis research in a Microbiology/Phylogenetics lab

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 8 quarters on Dean's list (although this is irrelevant because I didn't put it on my applications)

Pertinent Activities/Jobs: Lab TA for 4 years (while an undergrad and a grad student), 2 quarters of coordinating the lab for the microbiology class for nursing majors.

Special Bonus Points: Poster Presentation at ASM General Meeting, very strong letters of recommendation (but not from professors who are well-known in the field)

I'm mostly worried about the fact that it is taking me more than two years to finish my Master's degree. In my Research Statement/SOP, I briefly went into some of the setbacks and facility issues that we had, so I hope it just shows that I have perservence in the face of obstacles or something like that. Hopefully this Master's degree doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

Weird question, but is it unheard of to apply to MS AND PhD programs? I'm primarily applying to PhD programs but I'm thinking about applying to one or two master's programs in case I am not a strong enough applicant for a PhD program. I know funding can be limited for MS students but I'm being careful about that.

Any advice or stories?

I don't think it is a bad thing at all to do a MS before your PhD, especially if you're changing fields slightly , unsure if you really want to continue, or if you think your grades or experience aren't quite up to par. I did a MS at my undergrad institution before applying for a PhD, and I have no regrets. I was changing from a microbiology concentration to eukaryotic molecular biology, and now I am in an interdisciplinary program. These two areas are both hit very hard in my current PhD program, so it is helping me immensely, as is the huge amount of lab experience I have. My masters was funded and I stayed in the same lab, so I was fortunate. Some people feel like those two years are wasted if you go into a PhD program, but I feel that it has given me an edge and made me sure of my choice. Also note that some MS programs will allow you to "accelerate" into their PhD program if you make satisfactory progress.

Ah! I received a phone contact from MSU last Wednesday, and have been waiting on the email to confirm dates.  Turns out, the email went to my spam box, which I just (luckily) checked.  The email was sent 5 days ago, and another email sent today.  I sent an email apologizing for my lack of response (explaining that it was in my spam), and ensuring her that I would get her the information tonight.  Worried this makes me look a bit bad. :/ ahhh.

Just a warning to everyone else - double check your spam boxes!

thanks for the warning..I just saw it on my spam folder too..I am glad that I'm not the only one

Which program inside of BMS did you guys apply to?

I applied to MMG, within the BMS gateway.  I got a phone call last Wednesday, and evidentally an email then, too, haha.

To everyone that calls the programs to ask about app reviews, what do you say?

"Hi, just had a question about -insert program name here-, when do you think interview invites will be sent out?" -answer- "Thanks!"

Easy!

Master's Institution: Large-sized state university

Undergrad Institution: well known research university
Major(s): Biology

Master's GPA: 3.76
Undergrad GPA: 3.42
Position in Class: Not ranked
Type of Student: female, underrepresented minority

GRE Scores (old version):
Q: 156 
V: 160
W: 4.5
B: Decided not to take it

Research Experience:

1 year undergraduate research

1 year lab assistant

1 year TA for biology laboratory

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Dean's list

Jobs:

Have been out of the science world for 3+ years. Now work in the finance field for a fortune 500 company. 

Well, I sure am late to the party. Since I'm going to be here angsting with the lot of you, might as well break the ice. 

Undergrad Institution: Ranked with Ivies but with more math. Graduated in 2011.
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): required humanities concentration in bad contemporary art.. does that count? 
GPA: 3.9/5
Position in Class: Average
Type of Student: White female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156 (65%)
V: 162 (89%)
W: 4.0 (54%)
B: (Biochem) 590 (73%)

Research Experience: Undergrad: 30hrs/week for 1 semester in senior project lab (antibiotic resistance: molec bio), 6 months in UROP (neuronal regeneration: imaging and genetics).After graduating: 2 years+ working as a full-time lab technician (Heart development: cell, molec, anatomical work). One paper currently under review (second authorship). Manuscript for 1st author publication underway.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Promoted from lab tech I to II after one year of work. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Very good at drawing and painting. Desk captain, hall chair, social committee chair at undergraduate dorm. Currently: long distance running, spends spare time overpowering Power Wheels cars then races them in events held across Midwest, competed in finals at New York City last September. 

Special Bonus Points: One LOR is the coolest science lady for womens' rights in STEM fields. I love her, she's a rockstar.  

Other: Geographically restricted to Boston/Seattle due to significant other's work location options.

Applying to Where:
Harvard University - DMS-BBS - Heart development/regeneration, dsDNA repair/histone modification
University of Washington - MCB - Heart development/regeneration, dsDNA repair

Boston University- MCBB - Heart development, cell cycling in cancer

Tufts University - Biology- Heart Development, dsDNA repair, molecular mechanisms in trinucleotide repeat expansion

Edited by pyrocide