2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Awwww yeah.  DRB?  I'm applying to the DRB division for neurodevelopment.

You know it man. I also have interest in the Cancer Bio department. Weee multiple possible fields of study!

If you do, please share the news. 

So I'm not the only one that's still waiting?  I'm wondering if they're doing rolling admissions, which is why I haven't called yet.  When did you submit your app?

Ah, just saw on the results survey that Cornell sent out a rejection for BBS - Immunity and Infectious Disease today.  That's the one I applied for. Oy.  There's another program to worry about.

So I'm not the only one that's still waiting?  I'm wondering if they're doing rolling admissions, which is why I haven't called yet.  When did you submit your app?

I finished my UNC app in October... so I'm expecting bad news

Undergrad Institution: Large private research university
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): Molecular Cell Biology, Math/Computer Science, Philosophy
GPA: 3.77 (overall and major)
Position in Class: 10-15%
Type of Student: Asian-American Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 168 (96%)
V: 165 (95%)
W: 5.5 (97%)

Research Experience:

Three summer internships while in college in different labs. First was a cancer biology lab studying signaling pathways. Second was a computational neuro-imaging group studying brain cancer. Third was an epigenetics lab studying histone modifications. Have been working as a research assistant in the last lab since graduating in 2012.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Nothing great. Cum Laude, Dean's List, Undergraduate Research Grant

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

No published papers, but two in review and one in preparation. 

Special Bonus Points:

I've been lucky to get to work in the labs of some of the best PI's in their respective fields, all at great institutions. LORs are very strong.

Other:

Applying to Where:
MIT Biology

Harvard BBS

Rockefeller

UW Genome Sciences

Stanford Biosciences (Genetics)

Weill Cornell BCMB

UCSD BMS

Penn BGS (CAMB)

Just called Wisconsin-Madison, their committee meets the first full week of January (starting the 6th) and will most likely start sending out interview invites by the 8th.

Which program was that for?

Thanks!

You are definitely not the only one that is still waiting. I am fairly certain that they do rolling admissions, but if you want to take one for the team and call them, no one would complain. :)

Arizona ABBS interview!!! I'm on cloud 9 right now, seriously.

Offered choice of Jan 23-25th or February 6th-8th. I chose the first weekend tentatively.

Guys, if I got an interview with my stats, all of you will too!

Arizona ABBS interview!!! I'm on cloud 9 right now, seriously.

Offered choice of Jan 23-25th or February 6th-8th. I chose the first weekend tentatively.

Guys, if I got an interview with my stats, all of you will too!

Congrats! I'm trying not to be too wishful. My stats aren't great either.

Congrats! I'm trying not to be too wishful. My stats aren't great either.

This is my second go-around on this thing...I overshot last year, took grad classes this year and applied to lower-tier schools (a lot of public Ivies). Listen, I had a 1.7 GPA my junior year in undergrad, A ONE POINT SEVEN (was an astrophysics major for a year, what a bad idea). And my first two years were at a community college. Almost everyone on this thread is more impressive on paper than I.

Conclusion: there's plenty of reason to hope.

This is my second go-around on this thing...I overshot last year, took grad classes this year and applied to lower-tier schools (a lot of public Ivies). Listen, I had a 1.7 GPA my junior year in undergrad, A ONE POINT SEVEN (was an astrophysics major for a year, what a bad idea). And my first two years were at a community college. Almost everyone on this thread is more impressive on paper than I.

Conclusion: there's plenty of reason to hope.

You are awesome dude!

Just got an invite to University of Chicago BMD (2/20-2/22)! ... which is right in the middle of the Yale (2/20-2/23) one. In cases like this, do people just try to make it for the interview day itself? Going to email Chicago asking if the interview is spread out over the weekend or if it's just on one day like Yale (2/21). If anyone has any advice/suggestions about this, it'd be appreciated!

Edited by cardboardboxes

Just got an invite to University of Chicago BMD (2/20-2/22)! ... which is right in the middle of the Yale (2/20-2/23) one. In cases like this, do people just try to make it for the interview day itself? Going to email Chicago asking if the interview is spread out over the weekend or if it's just on one day like Yale (2/21). If anyone has any advice/suggestions about this, it'd be appreciated!

What department at UChicago?