2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I'm starting to doubt the results forum. Anyone here post the Dartmouth MCB offer? Their website says they won't even start reviewing until tomorrow. Hm.

Hey ERR_Alpha, I posted the Dartmouth MCB offer. I got the email this morning from a professor inviting me to interview. I submitted my app on Dec 1st. Hope this helps!

Hey ERR_Alpha, I posted the Dartmouth MCB offer. I got the email this morning from a professor inviting me to interview. I submitted my app on Dec 1st. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply! I knew their first deadline for rolling admission was today but I assumed they wouldn't start reviewing until Monday. Must be working on Sundays.

Thanks for the reply! I knew their first deadline for rolling admission was today but I assumed they wouldn't start reviewing until Monday. Must be working on Sundays.

Ahhhh! They are sending emails on Sundays?!

There goes my panic/relief moment of not having to check my emails consistently over the weekend, haha >.>

Weird question, but is it unheard of to apply to MS AND PhD programs? I'm primarily applying to PhD programs but I'm thinking about applying to one or two master's programs in case I am not a strong enough applicant for a PhD program. I know funding can be limited for MS students but I'm being careful about that.

Any advice or stories?

Weird question, but is it unheard of to apply to MS AND PhD programs? I'm primarily applying to PhD programs but I'm thinking about applying to one or two master's programs in case I am not a strong enough applicant for a PhD program. I know funding can be limited for MS students but I'm being careful about that.

Any advice or stories?

Hey so I would not apply to MS programs lightly. If your goal is to do research and get a Ph.D., you should not do a masters unless you're using it to figure out what you want to do or if your ugad GPA was really really bad. This advice was from my PI - why would you shell out $100k for a masters just because you didn't get into a Ph.D. program? Makes no sense. If you don't get in to a Ph.D. program, it's much more valuable to get some more lab experience and really make a strong case the next year that you are cut out for research.

Hey so I would not apply to MS programs lightly. If your goal is to do research and get a Ph.D., you should not do a masters unless you're using it to figure out what you want to do or if your ugad GPA was really really bad. This advice was from my PI - why would you shell out $100k for a masters just because you didn't get into a Ph.D. program? Makes no sense. If you don't get in to a Ph.D. program, it's much more valuable to get some more lab experience and really make a strong case the next year that you are cut out for research.

Colleagues of mine that went the MS route agree that their MS was a waste of time, especially when a Ph.D. was their end goal. Even in technical positions, MS applicants don't make that much more than BS applicants. 

Colleagues of mine that went the MS route agree that their MS was a waste of time, especially when a Ph.D. was their end goal. Even in technical positions, MS applicants don't make that much more than BS applicants. 

I feel like one should only do an MS if your work is paying for it, like mine is, and go part-time. Otherwise I agree, your time is better spent working full time, not in school.

Penn CAMB interview today! Might as well post my stats:

Undergrad Institution: Ivy
Major(s): Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Mathematics
Overall GPA: 4.0
Position in Class: Very high
Type of Student: International

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 165
V: 165
W: 5.0

Research Experience: 2 years at my school and 1 semester at top cancer lab at another ivy

Applying to Where: UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, Stanford, Rockefeller, Princeton, Yale, UPenn

Why do the EEB programs seem to wait so much longer to review apps/send out interview invites? All these micro/immuno programs are on the ball.

Which Micro/Immuos are on the ball? Some schools said they weren't even convening until the 15th of Dec. 

Wow. I was looking through the archives, and in 2011, Rockefeller rejected someone with a 4.0 and a undergrad publication in Nature.

From what I know Rockefeller didn't do in-person interviews back then, correct? So it wasn't like the applicant blew his interview or whatever....

Any advice or stories?

I had to get my MS due to a terrible undergrad GPA, but I also have had funding for all but one semester. So, it hasn't cost me a ton of money. You don't want to get into med school type debt when you're only going to get PhD salary when it's all said and done.

Hey user Chimeric Phoenix, we met at ASH last week, Transplantation poster area! Congrats on your WashU interview, that's so exciting! Hope I also hear some good news soon. :)

When they called I was so shocked, I didn't think it was real at first. Hope you get some nice options too!

Edited by Chimeric Phoenix