Major(s): Biology
Overall GPA: 3.72 as of application time
Position in Class: Top 15%
Type of Student: Stateside female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 163 (87%)
V: 167 (97%)
W: 4.0 (54%)

Research Experience: 2 summers and a semester, one second-author publication pending, one poster presentation

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Golden Key Honor Society

Applying to Where:

All PhD

Harvard BBS - DRB

Columbia Neuro

UCSD Neuro

Iowa Neuro

Arizona Neuro

Vanderbilt NGP

Did anyone who applied to Michigan State University BMS program hear back yet? thanks

I applied.  I heard back on December 3rd that my application was complete, but that is it so far.  [This might not be normal: they told me mistakenly that my application was incomplete, so she emailed me back and told me that it /was/ complete, and they'd emailed me in error.]

I wouldn't be worried yet, though - it's still super early.

I applied.  I heard back on December 3rd that my application was complete, but that is it so far.  [This might not be normal: they told me mistakenly that my application was incomplete, so she emailed me back and told me that it /was/ complete, and they'd emailed me in error.]

I wouldn't be worried yet, though - it's still super early.

Thanks!! hope we hear back soon..BTW was there anywhere on the MSU app that allowed you to list your research experience or work experience during undergrad

Thanks!! hope we hear back soon..BTW was there anywhere on the MSU app that allowed you to list your research experience or work experience during undergrad

Erm. I talked about my research experience in the academic statement, and a bit of leadership experience in a club for my personal statement, but I don't think they gave a location to upload a resume or anything like that.

Erm. I talked about my research experience in the academic statement, and a bit of leadership experience in a club for my personal statement, but I don't think they gave a location to upload a resume or anything like that.

I called the admission office..they said that the calls should be going out this week..

I called the admission office..they said that the calls should be going out this week..

Oy gods.  I didn't expect this all so soon.  I think last year, it took much longer..... or I just applied to sillier places, haha.  I was going to wait 'till early January 'till I started calling.

Thanks though..... yet another reason to be terrified! :P

Congrats on another interview! Like Melissa said, it's probably best to accept the invitation from the one you like more and try to reschedule the other. I don't know for sure this year, but historically UNC has had 3 interview weekends so you probably have some flexibility with them. 

There are going to be 6 interview weekends for BBSP, if you can't make it you could try rescheduling to one of the others. The weekends are grouped by interest area though, they try to have all the applicants of certain subfields, like neuro on the same 3 weekends or whatever.

Yep - in the email they said it was over 1000. Goodness! Here's hoping this isn't an especially competitive season...

This is fairly normal for BBSP

How many students do they usually take every year?

I've heard some PIs say entering class size BBSP admissions is aiming for about 60-65 or so. No idea how many actual admissions offers will go out.

Thanks!! hope we hear back soon..BTW was there anywhere on the MSU app that allowed you to list your research experience or work experience during undergrad.

MSU applications had the option to upload additional documents, such as a CV, through the student portal.

Here's my profile:

Undergrad Institution: SLAC, well-known in academia, and I think research here is well-regarded
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry, Theater
GPA in Major: 3.39
Overall GPA: 3.48
Position in Class: No idea, we don't do rank here
Type of Student: Domestic white female, no economic disadvantage

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 164 (89%)
V: 165 (95%)
W: 5.5 (97%)

Research Experience: 1 month (January Term) doing molecular bio stuff volunteering at an immuno lab at Stanford, 1.5 years (in May/at graduation) in my current lab, in which I do genetics/muscle physiology research in C. elegans, and I'm an honors candidate in that lab this year

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: I have merit scholarships to my school, including a National Merit scholarship for my SAT scores

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Cell & Molecular Bio TA. I also am the teaching coordinator for our school's GlobeMed chapter about issues of health access, privilege and oppression.

Special Bonus Points: My mentor at Stanford did his Ph.D. at Yale, and my current PI/advisor went to UPenn for undergrad

Applying to Where:

UPitt IBGP

Tufts Sackler for microbio

BU PiBS

Brandeis C&M

UPitt MCB

Case Western BSTP

long shots:

Harvard BBS

Yale BBS

UPenn BGS

MSU applications had the option to upload additional documents, such as a CV, through the student portal.

Ah, I didn't notice that.  I uploaded my transcript... now trying to decide whether or not to upload my CV.  The department already received my app, so I wonder if it would just annoy them at this point.... hmm.

Ah, I didn't notice that.  I uploaded my transcript... now trying to decide whether or not to upload my CV.  The department already received my app, so I wonder if it would just annoy them at this point.... hmm.

You uploaded your own transcript?? doesn't it have to be sent directly from the school

You uploaded your own transcript?? doesn't it have to be sent directly from the school

Hmm.  I am getting all of these mixed up.  I think that I did both.  I definitely sent it, but decided to upload an "unofficial" copy, too, haha.