2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

updated profile information (please see first post on page 3, as well)

Undergrad Institution: top 10 public research university, top 40 overall US universities
Major(s): Evolution, Ecology, and Biodiversity
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.52 cum. / 3.70 upper
Overall GPA: 3.56 uni. / 3.75 with CC
Position in Class: Top 16-20%, possibly cum laude
Type of Student: domestic female

GRE Scores (revised version):
Q: 164 (89%)
V: 164 (93%)
W: 5.5 (97%)
B: not sending

Research Experience:

~0-current years senior honors thesis - tropical plant ecology

literature review on major theory in biodiversity maintenance

field work in spring at major research plot

presenting results at uni. UG conference

submitting thesis to uni. UG research journal

possibly submitting manuscript to peer-reviewed journal

~1.5-current years undergraduate research assistant - plant ecology

meta-analysis leading to publication in peer-reviewed journal in winter

presented preliminary results of publication research at uni. UG conference

submitting abstract to present at major research conference

~1/2 year undergraduate research asssistant - plant floral morphology

~1/2 year undergraduate research assistant - plant cell wall protein analysis

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

- Uni. honors program

- Uni. dean's list

- Phi Kappa Phi

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

~6 years tutoring experience - high school, junior college, and university - core science, core math, and Spanish

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

- possible research experience and publication with abroad course in tropical conservation in winter

- possible senior honors thesis

- volunteering as reader for high school research proposal contest in spring

~current years volunteer as high school mentor leading restoration projects

~1 year (to present) volunteer with local habitat restoration group

~1 year (to present) volunteer with Society for Conservation Biology

~1/2 year volunteering with uni. arboretum

Special Bonus Points:

- well-known PI at both of my current research positions

- postdoc I work under personally knows 2 of my POIs

- made phone/skype conversation with all POIs

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to Where:

Michigan State University - Plant Biology PhD

University of Maryland College Park - Behavior, Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics PhD

University of California Berkeley - Integrative Biology PhD

Stanford University - Ecology and Evolution PhD

University of Pittsburgh - Ecology PhD

Edited by Monochrome Spring

Undergrad Institution: University of Central Arkansas

Major(s): Biology, BS.
Minor(s): None
Overall GPA: 2.7
Position in Class: Unknown - not released as part of graduation
Type of Student: Domestic, Female

Grad Institution: University of Central Arkansas
Major(s): Biology, MS.

Minor(s): None

Current GPA: 3.4

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 151
V: 156
W: 3.0

Research Experience: 

Positions held:

2012 – Present  Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant - University of Central Arkansas 

2011 – Present Research Biologist - National Tiger Sanctuary
2012 – 2013 Center for Species Survival Intern - Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
2012 Rehabilitation Aide - South African Center for the Conservation of Coastal Birds
2011 – 2012 Migratory Bird Center Intern - Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
2009 – 2011 Tropical Bird House, Penguin Rock, and Africa Keeper Aide – Memphis Zoo
2008– 2012 Research Assistant - University of Central Arkansas Department of Biology 

Papers:

Understanding Vocal Patterns in Tigers (Panthera tigris) and Application to the Census and Conservation of Endangered and Threatened Species 
Roars, Moans, and Tail Flicks Deciphering the Mysteries of Tiger Communication.
Examining the Community Ecology of Freshwater Invertebrates and The Potential Impacts of Natural Gas Drilling in Arkansas Streams.
Investigating physiological effects of the Mayflower oil spill on avian communities.
Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Interrenal (HPI) Axis Sensitivity to an Acute Stressor of an Arctic Population of Lithobates sylvaticus Compared to Other Temperate Species.

Posters and Presentations:

Understanding Vocal Patterns in Tigers (Panthera tigris) and Application to the Census and Conservation of Endangered and Threatened Species
Roars, Moans, and Tail Flicks Deciphering the Mysteries of Tiger Communication.
T.J. the White Tiger.

Recipient of the American Association of Zookeepers Merit in Conservation Award (2013)
Recipient of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Conservation Scholar (2012, 2013)

Who's Who Among College Students (2012)
Recipient of the UCA Intern of the Year Award (2012)
Recipient of an Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship (2008 – 2012)

Recipient of a UCA Study Abroad Scholarship (2011)
Recipient of a UCA Achievement Scholarship (2008-2009)

Founder of an educational and conservation outreach organization dedicated to visiting rural schools and helping students gain conservation experience at local, national, and international organizations.

Special Bonus Points:

Female

Recommenders from Cornell Bioacoustics Research Program, UCDavis, Smithsonian, and Fauna Communications Research Institute

Applying to Where:

Clemson University – Wildlife and Fisheries Biology

Cornell University – Natural Resources

George Mason University – Environmental Science and Public Policy

University of California at Davis - Ecology

Washington State University – Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences

Edited by thechuffologist

I am a lil bit confused about UNC chapel hill.I mailed a prof and he told me to apply and said if I go for interview,he will discuss how I can work in his lab.But I know the GRE requirement is quite high for this school. And my score isnt that good.What should I do?help me out.Also suggest me some uni where I can apply considering my profile.Thanks :)

I wouldn't write off applying there just because of the GRE score. They'll look at your application as a whole. Especially if there are professors there who share your research interests, they might not care at all about a so-so GRE score.

Undergrad Institution: Top 30 in the UK
Major(s): Biology and English
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 4.0
Position in Class: 1
Type of Student: International Male

Grad Institution: Imperial College London
Major(s): Quantitative Biology
Minor(s):
Position in Class: 1

Grad Institution: King's College London
Major(s): English Literature
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.5
Position in Class: Middle

Did both of my masters simultaneously. Wrote my English dissertation on a scientific topic relevant to my biological interests

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 160 (78%) (ashamed about considering I studied quantitative biology)
V: 165 (95%)
W: 5.5 (97%)
B: not taking it

Research Experience: 

3-month internship in a DNA lab

6-month bioinformatics project for my master

3-month research assistant position in bioinformatics

1-first author publication in preparation

2 conference talks  

Won awards for being the top student at undergrad and at graduate institution.

Won an award for most diligent first year student

Won a business award for an innovative business plan

Received travel grant to attend a workshop

Received an award for outstanding services to the student union

Teaching:
Tutored throughout my undergrad for 3 years (undergraduate biology and academic english)

Worked as a teaching assistant at Imperial for a programming class

Currently started working as a high school teacher in biology for the remainder of the year

Service:

Student representative for Quantitative Biology (1 year)

Student representative for Biology (1 year)

I am fluent in four languages (Luxembourgish, German, French, English) and conversational in Mandarin Chinese

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Member of a couple of biology societies

Took a lot of professional development classes

Took all biochemistry courses during undergrad in addition to my compulsory courses

Applying to Where:

Oxford- Genomic Medicine and Statistics

Oxford- Clinical Medicine

Sanger Institute- 4-year PhD

Cambridge- Mathematical Genomics and Statistics

Harvard- Biostatistics

Harvard- Public Health: Genetic Epidemiology and Statistical Genetics

Yale- Biostatistics

Imperial College- Genomic Medicine

Edinburgh- Ecology of disease transmission

UC Davis- Entomology

Penn State- Entomology

Cornell- Genetics, Genomics, and Development

Any comments on my application? What are my chances with these programs? I am bit scared because I was rejected by all unis last year, so I applied to a lot more schools this year....

Undergrad Institution: Small, private university in Ohio
Major(s): Pharmacy (PharmD doctorate) & German
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major: 3.96
Overall GPA: 3.94
Position in Class: top 5%
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 162
V:158
W: 4.0
B: n/a

Goldwater Scholar

multiple local research scholar awards in immunology and cell biology

phi kappa phi

pharmacy honorary

4.5 years experience in cell biology/pharmacology, studying signal transduction of cardioprotection in RGS genetically modified mouse models
TA of chemistry lab x 2 years

2 presentations at national meetings, 5 local presentations

2 papers as author, one as middle author and one as primary

Fluent German speaker

Applying to Where:

Michigan - PIBS

Duke- Pharmacology

Cornell- BBS

Pittsburgh - Pharmacology

NIH-OxCam

I really only wanted to save myself the time/energy/money of applying to TONS of schools, so I was comfortable with 5. My GRE scores are so-so for some of the top-notch programs, but given my significant awards and research backgroudn I didn't want to get close to retaking  it.

Hi guyz :) Thanks for your encouragement and replies about applying to UNC Chapel Hill. I have decided to try my luck with this one!! Now I have another dilemma. I am already applying to 11 grad schools and trying to select another one. Should I go for a high rank school like Duke or some low rank school? I have already applied to some mid and low rank schools to use as a safety blanket. Give me your advise. see my profile below-

Major(s):Biochemistry
Minor(s):Biotechnology
GPA in Major: 3.93
Overall GPA:3.9
Position in Class: Top 5%
Type of Student:International,female

Q:156
V:154
W:3.5

TOEFL Total: 107 (R 27,S27,L28,W25)

Research Experience: Working in an international Research Organization as a trainee.Also working on my thesis here.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:Candidate for Dean's Award , Scholarship on the basis of merit from the Uni

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  Worked as TA for more than a year

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Worked to help educate under privilaged kids

Applying to Where: University of Virginia

University of Texas at Austin

University of Texas Health Center

Washington University in St. Louis

UNC Chapel Hill

Rice University

University of Rochester

University of Delaware

University of Buffalo Suny

Stony Brook University

Baylor College of Medicine

Hi guyz :) Thanks for your encouragement and replies about applying to UNC Chapel Hill. I have decided to try my luck with this one!! Now I have another dilemma. I am already applying to 11 grad schools and trying to select another one. Should I go for a high rank school like Duke or some low rank school? I have already applied to some mid and low rank schools to use as a safety blanket. Give me your advise. see my profile below-

Hi Tuba,

I'm going to tell you what I tell everyone else. You need to apply to schools that you feel YOU can be genuinely happy attending. Where do you feel that you can be a successful and productive graduate student? Where are the places with multiple professors that you can see yourself working under? If all you focus on is just "getting in" and then only end up getting into the "safety school," are you going to be happy? You don't want to get to the interview and then think, ooh, I wish I'd applied at _____________, instead.

That's why I only applied 6 places. All of them were places I thought could allow me to have the best graduate experience. Three were super highly ranked, and 3 were mid-range. I interviewed or was offered interviews at 4 of them.

I'm not saying that you should only apply to the best of the best, but make sure that you as a student can be happy if you go there.

Which programs are you applying to at Baylor College of Medicine and Rice?

Edited by biotechie

Hi Tuba,

I'm going to tell you what I tell everyone else. You need to apply to schools that you feel YOU can be genuinely happy attending. Where do you feel that you can be a successful and productive graduate student? Where are the places with multiple professors that you can see yourself working under? If all you focus on is just "getting in" and then only end up getting into the "safety school," are you going to be happy? You don't want to get to the interview and then think, ooh, I wish I'd applied at _____________, instead.

That's why I only applied 6 places. All of them were places I thought could allow me to have the best graduate experience. Three were super highly ranked, and 3 were mid-range. I interviewed or was offered interviews at 4 of them.

I'm not saying that you should only apply to the best of the best, but make sure that you as a student can be happy if you go there.

Which programs are you applying to at Baylor College of Medicine and Rice?

You gave a very good advice. Now that I think about it, everything makes more sense.I am a bit insecure because of my GRE scores and lack of published work. I would retake the test but there is no dates available in my country for the next 3 months.That is the reason I was thinking about safety schools. But I really want to get into the Baylor,UNC chapel Hill or Uni of Virginia.  I saw some stats and thought those are out of my league but still decided to apply just in case I get a chance to face the interview.I was discouraged  and started to have second thoughts after my pre app for Uni of Illinois at Urbana and Uni of Texas A&M got rejected. I am applying to the Molecular and Human genetics of Baylor and Biochem & cell bio of Rice Uni.What do you think about my overall list?

You gave a very good advice. Now that I think about it, everything makes more sense.I am a bit insecure because of my GRE scores and lack of published work. I would retake the test but there is no dates available in my country for the next 3 months.That is the reason I was thinking about safety schools. But I really want to get into the Baylor,UNC chapel Hill or Uni of Virginia.  I saw some stats and thought those are out of my league but still decided to apply just in case I get a chance to face the interview.I was discouraged  and started to have second thoughts after my pre app for Uni of Illinois at Urbana and Uni of Texas A&M got rejected. I am applying to the Molecular and Human genetics of Baylor and Biochem & cell bio of Rice Uni.What do you think about my overall list?

I think your list is fine. UofI in general is very picky, so I'm not surprised. I didn't want to apply there, but if I had, I would have had the same thing happen to me. If you're set on finding another school, have a look at University of Florida's Interdisciplinary Program in Biomedical Sciences. It is a big program, but there are nice facilities and lots of labs to choose from.

Undergrad Institution: State school in the west. 

Minor(s) :Molecular Biology
GPA in Major: 3.87
Overall GPA:3.92
Position in Class: Top 3%
Type of Student:International studying in USA, Male

Q:158
V:156
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 3.5 years of research experience in home institution and 2 summers at a major elite research institution.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list for all my semesters, a couple scholarships and a funded summer fellowship to do research last summer. Presented research at a national conference and at a local research symposium, will be 2nd or 3rd author in a paper currently being written. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  Have helped with department orientation for freshmen students.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Helped as an international student orientation leader for 1 year.

Applying to Where: 

MIT Biology

Stanford Biology

JHU

UW-Madison

BCM

UTSW

Berkeley MCB

Harvard MCO

Rockefeller University

Princeton Molecular Bio.

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.

I know my GRE scores might be a little low for the places I am applying to, however I have always been a bad standardized test taker and I feel my research experience + my letters of recommendation, which I have been told are great, will truncate the GRE. Also, I was already approved to apply as an international to University of Illinois -UC so that makes me feel a little good. 

Edited by Orims

In my Harvard submitted GSAS application, there appears to be no way to check if they received GRE scores/transcripts. Anyone submitted their app and have the same problem ? Note that I can check if the refrences have been submitted.

It would be really helpful if you guys post which department(s) you're applying to for each of these schools. For example, BCM has more than 5 that could be applied for my someone interested in molecular biology, not including the other genetics and immunology interests while University of Florida students tend to all lump into the IDP program. So then we wonder, "Okay, so are they applying to BCM's MCB, IMBS, MPBP, etc?" Some of us that are currently attending may be able to help you out more if you specify since different departments have different criteria. :)

molecularneuro, there should be a contact person that you can e-mail to check those things. Have your references confirmed with you that they submitted?

Biotechie, I CAN check whether the references have been submitted and they have been completed, but I cannot check receipt of GRE/transcripts. I will email them if I cannot get an answer here.

Are you attending BCM ? I have submitted an application to the BCM Developmental Bio program and it is one of my top choices with the great labs focusing on developmental neurobiology. I have done two years of research as an undergrad and have one middle author submitted paper and multiple poster presentations including one at SfN 2013. Hopefully, I get in somewhere since I love the process of discovery and am fascinated by the growth of an organism from a single cell. 

Hey!

I'm a second year student at Washington University in St. Louis (DBBS- Molecular Genetics and Genomics). I just wanted to wish you good luck with your applications and offer to answer any questions you may have about WashU or any of the other schools listed in my sig in green. 

Best wishes and best of luck!

gg

Edited by glow_gene

Well, since you guys showed me yours... hope this season gets everyone what they want!

Undergrad Institution: top 15 liberal arts w/ little research clout 

Major(s): Biology
Minor(s) : n/a
GPA in Major: 3.75
Overall GPA: 3.73
Position in Class: top 20%, cum laude
Type of Student: Domestic male

Q: 162
V: 168 
W: 5.0 

Bio: 850 (93rd)

Research Experience: 2 years in molecular ecology lab working on phylogeographic DNA markers for bats. No pubs.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Full merit scholarship for four years; Dean's List all semesters; Scholar-Athlete Award

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  Founded Beta Beta Beta Biology Honor Society chapter at my school: organized lectures with visiting scholars, recruited students etc

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Spent last year in China with Princeton in Asia teaching, fluent Mandarin

Applying to Where: 

Stanford Biosciences - Chemical and Systems Biology

UW-Madison CMB

Berkeley MCB

Harvard MCO

MIT Biology

Biology@Princeton - QCB/MolBio

UCSF iPQB

Yale BBS

UPenn BMB

Minnesota BMBB

Duke SSB

Edited by rexzeppelin

Received an invite to Baylor College of Medicine Biochem and Molecular program by email! I didn't expect to receive anything for another month or so!

WTF HAX.

But seriously, congrats!

Undergrad Institution: Small State school- OK on research
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.0
Overall GPA: 3.2
Position in Class: average
Type of Student: domestic female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 151
V:153
W:4.5
B:

Research Experience: freshwater mussel evolution, botany- May 2013-current. 2nd author in paper in progress, to be published in early 2014

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Research fellowship w/ funding Summer 2013

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Veterinary assistant 2 years

Special Bonus Points: veterinary medicine CE (nephrology/urology)

Applying to Where: Tufts Immunology and Microbiology PhD, OSU Immunology/Microbiology, CSU (ohio) MS Biology general

Undergrad Institution: Mid-Sized Public, Not a research powerhouse

Major(s): Microbiology
Minor(s): Chemistry
Position in Class: Top 10% I think
Type of Student: Male, not any sort of minority (unless you count financially challenged)

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 158
V: 162
W: 5.0
B: N/A

Research Experience:

1 Summer REU

1 Year of research at my home university

Currently on a graduate student TA-ship (1 year)

Previously worked as a lab technician (not long)

Other Info: 

The area I've been doing research on is relatively related to the area I want to research in graduate school, so I'm hoping that will help my application. I'm not sure how detailed my letters of recommendation will be, so I'm really hoping everything else will make up for that if they aren't amazing. Best of luck everyone!

Applying to Where:

UCSD - Biology & Scripps Marine Biology
University of Nebraska - Biological sciences
Caltech- Bioengineering

Arizona State University- Biological Design

Rutgers University- Microbial Biology

North Carolina State University- Plant Biology/Microbiology

Undergrad Institution: State school 

Minor(s) :Molecular Biology
GPA in Major: 3.87
Overall GPA:3.92
Position in Class: Top 3%
Type of Student:International studying in USA, Male

Q:158
V:156
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 3.5 years of research experience in home institution and 2 summers at a major research institution.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list for all my semesters, a couple scholarships and a funded summer fellowship to do research last summer. Presented research at a national conference and at a local research symposium, will be 2nd or 3rd author in a paper currently being written. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  Have helped with department orientation for freshmen students as well as orientation for international students.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Helped as an international student orientation leader for 1 year.

Applying to Where: 

MIT Biology

Stanford Biology

JHU BCMB

UW-Madison CMB

BCM IMBS

UTSW

Berkeley MCB

Harvard MCO

Rockefeller University

Princeton Molecular Bio.

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign MCB

Updated with program departments! 

Does anybody know when programs start sending interview invites? 

There might be some early invites out right now, but last year, most of the invites came during or after the second week of December.

I had some invites around 10-15 Dec. last year for schools with Dec 1 deadlines. But then I also had one in February.......

Try not to worry too much, relax and enjoy the holidays :)

Long time lurker to this thread, but I'll throw y'all a bone to make you feel better about your chances :) Good luck everyone.

Undergrad Institution: SLA, strong research focus

Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s) : Classical studies
GPA in Major: 3.3
Overall GPA:3.2
Position in Class: Not a clue
Type of Student: Domestic female

Q: 159
V: 159
W: 4.0

Research Experience: 3 years undergrad research in field, 3.5 years professional experience at a 'Southern Ivy' and a real Ivy. All in field. Did 1 year out of field of interest

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Scholarships, small grant, HHMI summer fellowship. I feel like holding continuous employment in a s***y economy in research laboratories should count for something.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  Have 2 2nd author papers, a dozen of first author conference posters.

Applying to Where: 

Pitt Neuro

Duke Neurobio

Oregon Psych (cognitive/neuro)

UW Neurobio and Behav

WashU Neuro