2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

So, here's a fun idea to help us pass the time in our little biology bubble. Based on the information that you have now about acceptances, rejections, etc., what do you think you're going to do this summer? Be specific. Are you planning for a road trip to move across country? Are you going to read through as many novels as possible before you sell your soul to academia? Are you going to get a head start on research? Will those plans change with a single email from the admissions committee?

If I move to MI and go to Ann Arbor, I'll be moving as soon as possible after graduation to start doing field work.  However, I'd love to see some more things on the west coast before moving inland: Crater Lake, the Lost Coast, and the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  I would like to see as much as I can along my drive across the country and I'd like to move early so I can get settled in and explore my new city and state.

If I move to MI and go to Ann Arbor, I'll be moving as soon as possible after graduation to start doing field work.  However, I'd love to see some more things on the west coast before moving inland: Crater Lake, the Lost Coast, and the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  I would like to see as much as I can along my drive across the country and I'd like to move early so I can get settled in and explore my new city and state.

Another potential Michigan person! I would be living in East Lansing. : )

Definitely going to use a road trip for moving as an excuse to look at sites across the US.

I love the Monterey Bay Aquarium! And I would love to visit the Lost Coast. You're making me want to come back to California!

Has anyone else received official funding offers from any programs?

Potentially, I can get one for UCLA or Brown University.  For UCLA, it is a 5-year funding contingent if I get into a grad program and if the government doesn't weed out funding.  For Brown, it would be a year or two funding program and again only after I get accepted will I be a decent candidate.  I am a little frustrated with UCLA because I thought high chance of funding myself means I would get an interview shot, but I guess I was over my head.  

I know one girl who is interviewing at Brown MCB. She heard back early. I don't know about the rest of us though. i applied and my app was completed on the 14th of Jan.

Can you share any details like when is the Brown University interviews?  I applied Dec 1st, so I am a little disappointed I didn't hear from them yet, but I got an email back from them on the 14th saying they have many applications this year and still reviewing them.  I am tempted to call them again.

I wonder if you need an interview to be accepted? At this point, it's not really in the running for me, since I have other offers, but it'd be good to know.

Same. It's really hard with these programs that make choices so long after other schools.

I have to laugh when I see my signature now, because I swear, I really did apply to programs outside Boston, too! But for some reason all my interviews are there! :)

Lol, I know what you mean. I applied to 10 schools, only 2 of which are in Chicago (or the Midwest for that matter). The 2 interviews I've got so far are Northwestern and University of Chicago, so its looking like the windy city for me next year!

Edited by ashcanpete

I haven't gotten anything from Einstein, and I submitted my app Nov 11th. I am also waiting on Stony Brook and can't get an answer either way!

All of mine are silent too.  Einstein, Stony Brook, Purdue, and the California Schools :(

Lol, I know what you mean. I applied to 10 schools, only 2 of which are in Chicago (or the Midwest for that matter). The 2 interviews I've got so far are Northwestern and University of Chicago, so its looking like the windy city for me next year!

Hopefully that's a good thing! I'm pretty happy about the prospect of going to Boston.  It's funny how things work out sometimes!

All of mine are silent too. Einstein, Stony Brook, Purdue, and the California Schools :(

Had a Skype interview at Purdue in December and official offer by the end of the month. This was for their biochem program so not sure what department you are waiting on but I figured I'd give you that bit. I fly out to see the campus next week and compare with other options. You might be wait listed though...

Finally got my official UW MCB rejection. Glad to have it official rather than up in the air still. I wish they would have been a bit more timely with their notification.

Finally got my official UW MCB rejection. Glad to have it official rather than up in the air still. I wish they would have been a bit more timely with their notification.

Washington or Wisconsin?

It has to be Washington. My friend text me that he got his official rejection today too. I don't know what superstars that school is looking for since his stats were decent.

Tough school to get into and a good class it seems this year. Well keep an eye out for mine as well.

Tough school to get into and a good class it seems this year. Well keep an eye out for mine as well.

I kind of glad I didn't even try, but then again applying for Stanford and Berkeley were dream crushers, especially when I didn't hear from Stanford yet.

Had a Skype interview at Purdue in December and official offer by the end of the month. This was for their biochem program so not sure what department you are waiting on but I figured I'd give you that bit. I fly out to see the campus next week and compare with other options. You might be wait listed though...

I applied to the biological science program, but now I am getting worried.  I'll wait towards early February before I call the department.

Another potential Michigan person! I would be living in East Lansing. : )

Definitely going to use a road trip for moving as an excuse to look at sites across the US.

I may also end up in East Lansing, but who knows. I'm hoping to be off of the waitlist after their second interview weekend for the BioMolecular Science Gateway program.

I realllly want to go to Michigan though. I'm hoping my interview goes well!

I love the Monterey Bay Aquarium! And I would love to visit the Lost Coast. You're making me want to come back to California!

You should do it if you end up moving away for grad school!

I haven't gotten anything from Einstein, and I submitted my app Nov 11th. I am also waiting on Stony Brook and can't get an answer either way!

Funny you mention Nov 11. That is the same day I submitted my app. However, my recommendations were completed on Nov 27. 

Another winter storm tomorrow in houston tomorrow!... (frozen trees are rare sight in houston. First time I have seen in >3yrs I have been here, lol).

Hope this week brings good luck to all of us...

Potentially, I can get one for UCLA or Brown University.  For UCLA, it is a 5-year funding contingent if I get into a grad program and if the government doesn't weed out funding.  For Brown, it would be a year or two funding program and again only after I get accepted will I be a decent candidate.  I am a little frustrated with UCLA because I thought high chance of funding myself means I would get an interview shot, but I guess I was over my head.  

Can you share any details like when is the Brown University interviews?  I applied Dec 1st, so I am a little disappointed I didn't hear from them yet, but I got an email back from them on the 14th saying they have many applications this year and still reviewing them.  I am tempted to call them again.

I emailed Brown MCB today and the coordinator told me all the interviews had been sent out already.

It's a great city. I don't see it in your signature, but you haven't heard from Brandeis yet have you? 

No, I haven't. In past years, they've sent their invites out pretty late, toward the very end of January. I take it you haven't heard anything from them either?

Rejection in the mail today from Stanford micro & immuno (I'm on the east coast). Glad to have heard back from everywhere officially. Now, to focus on not screwing up any interviews... :)

Same here. I got the rejection letter a few days ago and I applied to the biochemistry track. I didn't even feel sad at that point haha just glad that waiting torture is over :)