2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

My freshman and some sophomore years were abysmal. Honestly they were so embarrassing. But Junior and Senior years (my speciality classes for my major and interest) were all As. I had a rough time for a few reasons during that time. But I'm they have to consider these things. Our school had negative curves some science intro classes during that time had a C+ average...

I'm sure they do. No idea how. A couple of my programs asked for just my junior and senior year GPA, did any of yours?

It shouldn't be just that, and I'm sure they don't only look at that. I'm not trying to be pompous or anything at all but I cramed as much research as I could into before, during, and now after college so my gre score can't say much to what I have done

I am in the same boat as you. You just have to hope that someone reads your application file that can look past the numbers, and sees the person as a whole. Everyone says how they want a well rounded person to apply, and numbers don't matter, but I don't know how much of that can be true. And I am in no way discrediting those who have kept straight A's their entire career, and stellar research. They deserve these interviews, but so do we. Sometimes life gets in the way and we shouldn't be penalized for that.

It's still early in the game, I am sure you guys will get in somewhere!

Just so you guys know, I've gotten a few interviews with a very bad undergrad GPA (1.6 my spring semester Sr year...). If you explained why you didn't perform well in the past and convinced them it won't happen in the future they'll give you a shot.

Try to relax and enjoy your break. It may be the last one you have for awhile.

Congrats to everyone with Harvard BBS interviews, and good luck to everyone still waiting!

Random question regarding their email: I was kind of surprised that they specified casual attire for the interview weekends; is that standard? For some reason I was expecting to need a suit and tie-type outfit for most of these interview weekends. Maybe I've just been hanging around with too many M.D. applicants.

From what I can tell on the results page it looks like all of the acceptances have higher GPAs and GREs than me. Makes sense haha. Congrats you guys!!

It almost makes me feel better when there's a direct numbers reason for not getting an interview. Weird.

Hmm I saw your stats on page 3, they are pretty impressive. You definitely have a better GPA than I do (mine's 3.65) and we did pretty similar in our GRE except my AW score was a lot lower. I have a bit over 1.5 years of research experience, a poster presented, and a paper submitted for review...so you beat me in the research dept.

If I got a BU PiBS interview, you are bound to get one soon, and several others. Unless your SOP was awful since you have me beat every other way. 

Congrats to everyone with Harvard BBS interviews, and good luck to everyone still waiting!

Random question regarding their email: I was kind of surprised that they specified casual attire for the interview weekends; is that standard? For some reason I was expecting to need a suit and tie-type outfit for most of these interview weekends. Maybe I've just been hanging around with too many M.D. applicants.

From what I've read, it's mostly casual to business casual. The interview for WUSTL said casual for the dinners and business casual for the actual interviews.

What do you all consider business casual for men. I was going to wear something like this (with nicer pants), but I don't want to be overdresssed. : http://images.menswearhouse.com/is/image/TMW/MW40_617V_17_PRONTO_UOMO_SWEATERS_VESTS_CHAR_BLK_LTGRY_SET?$40MainPDP$

Edited by username1824

From what I've read, it's mostly casual to business casual. The interview for WUSTL said casual for the dinners and business casual for the actual interviews.

Congrats on your interviews! Quick question: how long did it take for WUSTL to get back to you with more interview/travel information? (This is assuming they first called you, I guess) I was called on the 12th and emailed to submit my faculty interests list, but haven't received any more information yet. I'm planning on calling just to double check, but just curious if they were very quick for you!

Congrats on your interviews! Quick question: how long did it take for WUSTL to get back to you with more interview/travel information? (This is assuming they first called you, I guess) I was called on the 12th and emailed to submit my faculty interests list, but haven't received any more information yet. I'm planning on calling just to double check, but just curious if they were very quick for you!

Thanks!

I got a call on the 12th, flight info on the 17th, and a final email with the rest of the details on the 19th. They said that we'll know who we interview with when we arrive. I guess we get a folder with our specific schedule.

What do you all consider business casual for men. I was going to wear something like this (with nicer pants), but I don't want to be overdresssed. : http://images.menswearhouse.com/is/image/TMW/MW40_617V_17_PRONTO_UOMO_SWEATERS_VESTS_CHAR_BLK_LTGRY_SET?$40MainPDP$

I'm terrible with fashion, but I would consider this casual, and with nicer pants business casual. I think of business casual as dressed up, without a tie. If there are any fashion forward people that want to add more please do.

Hmm I saw your stats on page 3, they are pretty impressive. You definitely have a better GPA than I do (mine's 3.65) and we did pretty similar in our GRE except my AW score was a lot lower. I have a bit over 1.5 years of research experience, a poster presented, and a paper submitted for review...so you beat me in the research dept.

If I got a BU PiBS interview, you are bound to get one soon, and several others. Unless your SOP was awful since you have me beat every other way.

I'm expecting one from PiBS hopefully soon... They sent me an email right after I submitted because I was an "extremely competitive candidate" but they had none of my LORs. Except the online system said they had been submitted? Glitchy. Also my GRE scores just got sorted out there, so the interview may be delayed.

I've stopped worrying haha. I got all my anxiety out with my Cornell rejection. Now I'm just waiting it out.

Oh wait, I totally am having a moment...I forgot there was a BBS-Immunology+Microbiology and then a GSAS Immunology program at Harvard. I don't think we have seen any from GSAS for immune yet..

Yeah... I applied straight for Immuno under DMS and not Micro+Immuno in BBS and haven't heard anything either. There's still hope?

Better late than never!

Undergrad Institution: Medium sized research university
Major(s): B.S. Biology
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.96
Overall GPA: 3.95
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: Domestic male, Asian

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161 (81%)
V: 160 (84%)
W: 4.0 (54%)
B: N/A

Research Experience: Summer intern at a biotechnology company that manufactures artificial corneas (Summer 2013). Current research is focused on gene analysis during regeneration in a specific anthozoan cnidarian (1.5 yrs). Second author for presentation at SICB 2014. No publications. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Summa cum laude, Student marshal at graduation, Phi Beta Kappa, Dean's list, Departmental (biology) scholarship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Organic chemistry tutor for 3 semesters, TA for cell and molecular biology lecture, Taught two organic chemistry lab sections (one on organic compound purification and one on compound structure elucidation)

Special Bonus Points: I'm from Hawaii? haha

Applying to Where: All neuroscience programs

Harvard (DMS)

Columbia

Watson School of Biological Sciences (Cold Spring Harbor Labs)

Brandeis

MIT

Caltech

Stanford

UC Davis

UC Berkeley

University of Washington

Congrats to all that have heard back! I'm still waiting for my first invitation. 

Better late than never!

Undergrad Institution: Medium sized research university

Major(s): B.S. Biology

Minor(s): N/A

GPA in Major: 3.96

Overall GPA: 3.95

Position in Class: Top

Type of Student: Domestic male, Asian

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 161 (81%)

V: 160 (84%)

W: 4.0 (54%)

B: N/A

Research Experience: Summer intern at a biotechnology company that manufactures artificial corneas (Summer 2013). Current research is focused on gene analysis during regeneration in a specific anthozoan cnidarian (1.5 yrs). Second author for presentation at SICB 2014. No publications. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Summa cum laude, Student marshal at graduation, Phi Beta Kappa, Dean's list, Departmental (biology) scholarship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Organic chemistry tutor for 3 semesters, TA for cell and molecular biology lecture, Taught two organic chemistry lab sections (one on organic compound purification and one on compound structure elucidation)

Special Bonus Points: I'm from Hawaii? haha

Applying to Where: All neuroscience programs

Harvard (DMS)

Columbia

Watson School of Biological Sciences (Cold Spring Harbor Labs)

Brandeis

MIT

Caltech

Stanford

UC Davis

UC Berkeley

University of Washington

Congrats to all that have heard back! I'm still waiting for my first invitation. 

It's only a matter of time for you.  That's an impressive resume!

Thinking about applying to Clemson as a safety school, but honestly, the $20,000 stipend is awful considering that the cost of living is the same as anywhere else. I already got my LORs in, but I already feel cheated considering this is my most expensive application so far to a school that pays the least from my list. Tell me honestly, would you guys pay $80 for an application that only gave you a $20,000 stipend, $1,100 fees per semester and only partial health ins? Help me weigh this.

Edited by ab2003