2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

From the results page, it looks like most Princeton QCB invites last year went out in early January, but it appears as though 2 people have been invited to QCB this December.

I applied to Molecular Biology and got a phone invite last Tuesday. So I'm not sure if they've sent out all MolBio invites, but looks like they've started to at least...

Yeah, the QCB invites have gone out a lot earlier this year :/ not sure if it's only a couple or if that's it.. aaah.

Does anyone know how possible is it to switch interview dates after confirming? I hope it doesn't reflect poorly? My top two schools conflict, and it's making me super stressed.

If they haven't yet scheduled your flights, it shouldn't be too difficult... if they have.... Eek!

If they haven't yet scheduled your flights, it shouldn't be too difficult... if they have.... Eek!

Thanks! I assumed as much. They responded to my confirmation this morning, so I'm crossing my fingers they haven't booked anything yet or if they have, they're able to switch flights? I sent the school an email about the whole thing but they're on the east coast and I think the office is already closed for the next few days. I guess I'll just wait.  :mellow: 

Thanks! I assumed as much. They responded to my confirmation this morning, so I'm crossing my fingers they haven't booked anything yet or if they have, they're able to switch flights? I sent the school an email about the whole thing but they're on the east coast and I think the office is already closed for the next few days. I guess I'll just wait.  :mellow:

That depends on the airline; some allow you to switch for free, others don't. I had to switch a United Flight, and it cost me $250. I don't know what the protocol will be if they've booked you on a flight on one of the ones that costs to switch.

Edit: The United Switch was recent... it costs $200, but I had a $50 charge for using a booking agency to switch. If they switch within 24 hours of booking, there generally isn't a charge.

Edited by biotechie

That depends on the airline; some allow you to switch for free, others don't. I had to switch a United Flight, and it cost me $250. I don't know what the protocol will be if they've booked you on a flight on one of the ones that costs to switch.

Oh dang. I had no idea. Then I seriously hope they haven't booked anything lol

That's one of my top choices. I still haven't heard anything from them yet. Wondering if I should call or email. I really wanted to go to this school. I have direct experience with stem cells too......

I don't know how they're sending invites (rolling or in batches). It couldn't hurt to call!

I don't know how they're sending invites (rolling or in batches). It couldn't hurt to call!

Thanks! Congrats on the interview, though. Did you hear from Kenton (the admin director) or the school directly? Looking at the results from last year, it looks like they sent the invites in one batch. When did you turn in your completed application? Mine was close towards the end due to one of my recommenders not submitted their letter until the wednesday before the app deadline. 

Oh no! Someone on the result page got Yale' s Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (CBB) :((. I hope they have not yet sent out all invitations :(

P/S May I know who else here are international students? Do they usually release the inivitation a bit late for international students?

Thanks! Congrats on the interview, though. Did you hear from Kenton (the admin director) or the school directly? Looking at the results from last year, it looks like they sent the invites in one batch. When did you turn in your completed application? Mine was close towards the end due to one of my recommenders not submitted their letter until the wednesday before the app deadline. 

Kenton. I submitted my app on the 25th and one of my letter writers decided to submit all of his letters at about 11pm on the 30th(!!!)(I also had other Dec 1 deadlines so that was scary!). For that particular app, though, the LOR notification wouldn't go out until your application was completely submitted (so backwards).

Oh no! Someone on the result page got Yale' s Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (CBB) :((. I hope they have not yet sent out all invitations :(

P/S May I know who else here are international students? Do they usually release the inivitation a bit late for international students?

Hey! Here is something I posted a few days ago: 

"Hey! So here's an information for international students like me who are really scared because they haven't received any interview invitations yet. So I called a couple of universities and they said that there is an order in which they send invitations. First Americans, second International students who live in the US or close enough (Canada, Mexico...) and then the other international students. There could be a difference of 1-2 weeks between them. So no panicking (yet...)"

One of the universities I called is Yale, so you shouldn't worry now. I'm not applying to the same program as you but for my program the international results are after the Christmas break. 

Fair warning: don't put too much hope in one university. As international students, our chances are tiny and there's a serious random factor in it. For example, you might be ranked 4th in their program but if they invite only 3 students, then you're out of the game. However, in another university they might rank you 2nd and then you're in. 

Hey! Here is something I posted a few days ago: 

"Hey! So here's an information for international students like me who are really scared because they haven't received any interview invitations yet. So I called a couple of universities and they said that there is an order in which they send invitations. First Americans, second International students who live in the US or close enough (Canada, Mexico...) and then the other international students. There could be a difference of 1-2 weeks between them. So no panicking (yet...)"

One of the universities I called is Yale, so you shouldn't worry now. I'm not applying to the same program as you but for my program the international results are after the Christmas break. 

Fair warning: don't put too much hope in one university. As international students, our chances are tiny and there's a serious random factor in it. For example, you might be ranked 4th in their program but if they invite only 3 students, then you're out of the game. However, in another university they might rank you 2nd and then you're in. 

Thanks!!!

And exactly! For that very reason, I have applied for around 20 programs, but I am still feeling very nervous now :((

Kenton. I submitted my app on the 25th and one of my letter writers decided to submit all of his letters at about 11pm on the 30th(!!!)(I also had other Dec 1 deadlines so that was scary!). For that particular app, though, the LOR notification wouldn't go out until your application was completely submitted (so backwards).

Yea. I really didn't like the backwards thing, neither did my recommenders. I submitted my app on the 21st and my last letter went in on the 27th. I want to email/call Kenton, but I'm too chicken. I guess I don't want a rejection from there. Did they give you a choice of dates or was it one date? I'm really hopping they do it in waves. Might be my low GRE scores, but I thought my MS degree and experience would make up for that. 

20 programs? Wow now I'm the one who's freaking out haha

Well I have another disadvantage: I am majoring in EECS, not any bio fields, and applying to some computational biology and bioinformatics programs. I feel like I'm an odd duck here :((

Edited by compbio

So I review my Emory statement of purpose and what do you know, this silly girl here has a list of potential professors at the bottom who are...from other schools that I applied to! I could just kick myself, what a great way to handle one of your top choices - now I'm just sitting around and waiting for that rejection letter. I can imagine the laugh the admissions profs had when they read it - even I'm laughing at myself.

Edited by ab2003

So I review my Emory statement of purpose and what do you know, this silly girl here has a list of potential professors at the bottom who are...from other schools that I applied to! I could just kick myself, what a great way to handle one of your top choices - now I'm just sitting around and waiting for that rejection letter. I can imagine the laugh the admissions profs had when they read it - even I'm laughing at myself :(

Don't worry its not the end of the world! People have been accepted for those kinds of mistakes before

I'm still a bargain for them. I may not get their names right, but my interview would just cost them $10 for gas, lol. Should've put that in my personal statement. :)

Congrats on your UW interview, see, you did some unnecessary worrying too!

Hey Mabester,

When did you get your Pitt IBGP interview? They extended their deadline, but I submitted it right when it was due originally, and my letters probably got all submitted a few days later. Did you apply early?

I got my interview notification the week of Thanksgiving, like the 25thish. I sent all my materials in by November 7th, since I had them complete... I'm pretty sure that they reviewed them as they came in (especially because their website specifically said they start reviewing in November). I've seen the Pitt interviews come out sporadically with multiple interview weekends. I'll be going 1/10

Hey guys, just got my semester grades back, got a 3.4 which raised my gpa from 3.04 to 3.07, is it worth sending schools the updated transcript/a message?

I don't think that is a big enough change to make a huge difference.