2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

You said, "If you have a high GPA/GRE and research experience, you will get an interview" - but you're presuming it's the high GRE that is the most important factor to that interview, not the high GPA and research experience. I rarely see a low GPA paired with a high GRE or a very low GRE with a high GPA. If the GRE is a significant factor, we should be seeing more low GPAs but high GREs being accepted to graduate programs; in searching the results forum, I have rarely, if ever, seen a combo of high GRE with low GPA and no research. 

And 'high GPA/GRE and research experience' differs from school to school.  I have all of these things, but am getting interviews rapidly from some places and not so from others.

"GRE scores shouldn't be that important" - unfortunately the facts indicate they are important. Just look at the gradcafe results search database and also the GPA/GRE combination of people with offers in this thread - if you have a high GPA/GRE and research experience you will get an interview. If you don't then its a crapshoot - your best shot is to apply to as many mid and low tier schools and hope someone likes your app. The alternate and best way to reduce the "hope element" is to create a relationship with PIs at these mid and low tier schools and then you have a much better shot of getting an interview/offer. 

It really is unfortunate, but true. I get a lot of mixed reviews from professors. Some say that the GRE can be a deal breaker and some say that they don't even look at GRE scores when they review an application. This is coming from professors at top research universities. It really is a bummer. I have specialized training in the field of stem cell biology through a fully funded internship and staff position. I have presented 4 posters and done 3 oral presentations. I'm about to finish my Master's program with a 4.0; will be defending my thesis in February. Currently preparing two manuscripts for publication. All my thesis work was done at a top research university. My numbers might not be stellar, but it really doesn't say anything about my abilities. I'm not the best with multiple choice test, I'd rather be able to explain my train of thought through essay based questions. I wish there were other ways to "test" our abilities. Ok, rant over. GRE looks to be important, but not a deciding factor. Happy holidays, everyone! 

Undergrad Institution: Private liberal arts university

Graduate Institution: public university

Major(s): Biology
Minor(s):
uGPA in Major: 2.75

gGPA: 3.90
Position in Class: n/a
Type of Student: domestic, female, minority

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 151 (45%)
V: 150 (44%)
W: 3.5
B:

Research Experience: M.S research, One 1st author publication in progress

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: NONE

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Teaching Assistant, Graduate Research Assistant

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: female,, Minority, Excellent letters of Rec

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Columbia University

UNC - Chapel Hill

University if Miami

GWU

Emory

Georgetown

WUSTL

UT Arlington

UTSW

It really is unfortunate, but true. I get a lot of mixed reviews from professors. Some say that the GRE can be a deal breaker and some say that they don't even look at GRE scores when they review an application. This is coming from professors at top research universities. It really is a bummer. I have specialized training in the field of stem cell biology through a fully funded internship and staff position. I have presented 4 posters and done 3 oral presentations. I'm about to finish my Master's program with a 4.0; will be defending my thesis in February. Currently preparing two manuscripts for publication. All my thesis work was done at a top research university. My numbers might not be stellar, but it really doesn't say anything about my abilities. I'm not the best with multiple choice test, I'd rather be able to explain my train of thought through essay based questions. I wish there were other ways to "test" our abilities. Ok, rant over. GRE looks to be important, but not a deciding factor. Happy holidays, everyone!

Preachin' to the choir lol the holidays make up for the frustration. Enjoy the eggnog

I saw in results that someone got an interview at University of Oregon for the Biology department. However there are 4 institutes (sub-departments) within the Biology department. Does anyone know if they hold separate interviews for the different departments?

*worried :/

I guess I have lurked long enough. 

Undergrad Institution: Large Public Research University
Major(s): Chemistry and Molecular and Cell Biology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 3.44
Type of Student: White male 

Q: 158
V: 156
W: 4.5
B:

Research Experience: As an undergrad I spent a year doing research in a chemistry lab and another year in a microbiology lab. For the past year and a half i have been a lab technician in a microbiology (bacterial pathogen) lab.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: None :(

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Chemistry teaching assistant as an undergrad and post-grad lab technician. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Work as a lab tech at one of the schools i'm applying to

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

University of Michigan - PIBS

University of Wisconsin-Madison - Microbiology

WashU - DBBS (Microbiology)

New York University - Sackler

UTSW - Basic Science (Microbiology)

UT Austin -Microbiology

Northwestern - DGP

I got interviews to UTSW and NYU. From what I have seen on the forums, half my schools have not sent out interviews yet so i'm still hopeful for maybe one more. Does anyone know if Michigan PIBS is still sending out invites? Judging by how they sent them out last year I am going to assume I have already been rejected, but it would be nice to know for sure. 

Undergrad Institution: Located in East Asia
Major(s): Applied Chemistry(nominally. almost like life science and biochemistry)
Minor(s): none
GPA in Major: a little less than overall GPA
Overall GPA: 3.6/4.3. that would be US 3.3/4.0 or less 

Position in Class: I remember I was more than average. something like 60~80% high.
Type of Student: Male International Asian. Not sort of minority  I think  

Q: 159
V: 167
W: 3.0    I insist my writing was not that terrible...:'(
B: 790(83%)   

TOEFL Total: 108(R30 L28 S22 W28)

Research Experience: 

0.5 yr as a undergraduate in plant biology lab(nominally 1 yr but actually it was worth of 0.5 yr)

1 yr and 3 months as a master's student in the same lab

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: cum laude for my GPA, government scholarship for PhD program(I will receive this only if I'm admitted to the US grad school)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: not really.....but i was an army officer first lieutenant and there I was a kind of tutor for NBC 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: nothing

Special Bonus Points: maybe my army service? 

Applying to Where: all PhD

1 Stanford - Biology - Plant BIology(Carnegie)     

2 Berkeley - PMB - Plant Biology                          

3 WASHU - Plant and Microbial Biosciences        

4 Cornell - Plant Biology                                    

5 Penn State - Plant Biology                                     already f**cked with interview

6 Washington State - Molecular Plant Biology

7 UW Madison - Plant breedings and genetics

8 UT Austin - Plant Biology

9 UC Davis - Plant Biology

10 UC Riverside - Plant Biology 

I won't be surprised to receive all rejections regarding there are so many competitive applicants and my experience is not enough for PhD. Also, I applied to too many top tiers. Too late to regret.

But now what........nothing but wait and wait and wait......!!!

I'm trying not to waste the next interview chance......

Undergrad Institution: Located in East Asia

Major(s): Applied Chemistry(nominally. almost like life science and biochemistry)

Minor(s): none

GPA in Major: a little less than overall GPA

Overall GPA: 3.6/4.3. that would be US 3.3/4.0 or less 

Position in Class: I remember I was more than average. something like 60~80% high.

Type of Student: Male International Asian. Not sort of minority  I think  

Q: 159

V: 167

W: 3.0    I insist my writing was not that terrible...:'(

B: 790(83%)   

TOEFL Total: 108(R30 L28 S22 W28)

Research Experience: 

0.5 yr as a undergraduate in plant biology lab(nominally 1 yr but actually it was worth of 0.5 yr)

1 yr and 3 months as a master's student in the same lab

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: cum laude for my GPA, government scholarship for PhD program(I will receive this only if I'm admitted to the US grad school)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: not really.....but i was an army officer first lieutenant and there I was a kind of tutor for NBC 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: nothing

Special Bonus Points: maybe my army service? 

Applying to Where: all PhD

1 Stanford - Biology - Plant BIology(Carnegie)     

2 Berkeley - PMB - Plant Biology                          

3 WASHU - Plant and Microbial Biosciences        

4 Cornell - Plant Biology                                    

5 Penn State - Plant Biology                                     already f**cked with interview

6 Washington State - Molecular Plant Biology

7 UW Madison - Plant breedings and genetics

8 UT Austin - Plant Biology

9 UC Davis - Plant Biology

10 UC Riverside - Plant Biology 

I won't be surprised to receive all rejections regarding there are so many competitive applicants and my experience is not enough for PhD. Also, I applied to too many top tiers. Too late to regret.

But now what........nothing but wait and wait and wait......!!!

I'm trying not to waste the next interview chance......

YEAAAAAH another international plant biologist! 

YEAAAAAH another international plant biologist! 

hey Spike! I didn't expect this quick response. You've applied to many same schools of my lists!!

Nice to meet you and good luck for you and I together

Thanks! Nice to meet you too :-) Hopefully we might run into each other during an interview weekend somewhere :-) Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be at Berkeley considering the results were supposed to be sent out last week :-(

Good luck to you too ;-)

Thanks! Nice to meet you too :-) Hopefully we might run into each other during an interview weekend somewhere :-) Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be at Berkeley considering the results were supposed to be sent out last week :-(

Good luck to you too ;-)

Really?? Do you mean I am already rejected by Berkeley??

Well......if that's true, they should send me a rejection mail anyway......I don't like wait not knowing what's going on :(

Anyway this is expected. I didn't think I will be accepted by Berkeley! Berkeley and Stanford are too high.....

Really?? Do you mean I am already rejected by Berkeley??

Well......if that's true, they should send me a rejection mail anyway......I don't like wait not knowing what's going on :(

Anyway this is expected. I didn't think I will be accepted by Berkeley! Berkeley and Stanford are too high.....

I'm not completely sure. It's just that last year the invitations were sent on December 18th. And now Berkeley's office is closed until January 6th. Considering the interview weekend is two weeks later, I don't think we'll get anything positive after the break...

Has anyone else had to schedule their own flights to interviews?  I find this a little odd...

The only place I had to do that for was Vanderbilt IGP. I also found it a bit odd - my flight ended up being over the $400 for which they'll reimburse me, and I even have to stay one more night and leave on Sunday, because it was cheaper. Speaking of which, I emailed but still haven't heard back about booking me a room for Saturday night as well... I should probably check on that!

Yes, for Vanderbilt -IGP. From your signature I'm asuming this is the program you are refering to?

The only place I had to do that for was Vanderbilt IGP. I also found it a bit odd - my flight ended up being over the $400 for which they'll reimburse me, and I even have to stay one more night and leave on Sunday, because it was cheaper. Speaking of which, I emailed but still haven't heard back about booking me a room for Saturday night as well... I should probably check on that!

I'm actually driving down to Vanderbilt because I couldn't find a flight under $600, but I had another school email me this morning about scheduling my own flights.  Its just a tad bit annoying/awkward I guess.  Oh well...

Now I feel a little better about not being invited to the Vandy interviews...and I thought not getting replies to my emails from them was bad...I guess they have a budget issue or something. How much out of pocket are you guys going to be?

Vanderbilt IGP is meeting again on the 6th.

I think mine was so expensive because I fly out of a really small airport.  I would think $400 is a decent amount for a flight.  Regardless though, I'm not too sure many of us have that much disposable income where we can wait to be reimbursed for three months.  Alright, I'll stop whining now.

Rat.girl, you're just being realistic. It's not like they're picking you up from the street and you just heard about scientific research yesterday. We're going into an environment where post docs pay as little as $35,000/yr - we are at the last line of defense before feeding a family outwins doing what you love, so you have every right to state the obvious.