2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Got the Princeton Molecular Bio email for interview today. The 2 weeks that they have planned I can't go. Should I just say I can't come at all? :(

I'll take your place! Hahaha, totally kidding. I'd just email them and ask if they can arrange anything else. Unless you don't think you want to go to the program anymore, then decline.

UChicago giving me a heart attack.

I get this email:

Hello,

An update has been posted to your online account for your application to the University of Chicago Division of Biological Sciences.  Please log back into your online account to view this update.

Best,

Sarah

So I try to open my application on my phone (which took a very long time, since I was in the middle of nowhere with poor internet).  About 20 minutes into loading all of the pages (almost done!) I get another email:

Reynolds, Sarah [bSD] - GRA would like to recall the message, "Update to your UChicago application".

UChicago for the win, as always.

EDIT It might also be worth mentioning that I sent them (the general Princeton graduate office) my midyear grades a few days ago, as Princeton asks for them. Not sure if they were waiting on these to extend interview invites or if the timing is coincidental. 

Does anyone remember what other schools want midyear grades? I remember reading this on some of the websites when I was applying but I can't remember where. My grades should be coming out soon, so now I have to go back and read the websites from every school I applied to.

UChicago giving me a heart attack.

I get this email:

Hello,

An update has been posted to your online account for your application to the University of Chicago Division of Biological Sciences.  Please log back into your online account to view this update.

Best,

Sarah

So I try to open my application on my phone (which took a very long time, since I was in the middle of nowhere with poor internet).  About 20 minutes into loading all of the pages (almost done!) I get another email:

Reynolds, Sarah [bSD] - GRA would like to recall the message, "Update to your UChicago application".

Got the exact same thing today. Scared me especially since I dont know whether the update was for an interview or a rejection lol

Edited by RR1

So we're sure that all Cornell IMP invites are out?  Really.  Big.  Bummer.  :(

yepppp you're just gonna get this 

"The Admissions Committee has met to discuss our program's recruits and has finished sending out interview invitations. We have received many applications from excellent students such as yourself and have found it difficult to choose amongst them.  Nevertheless, we do have to make these choices and the Admissions Committee has decided to focus its attention on other applicants.  We wish you the best with your scientific career.

Sincerely,

Lea Benguigui"

Why are you assuming you will be rejected by PSU if you got an interview? 

I'm not exaggerating or going to be just pessimistic. I literally screwed up the interview.

That's why it would be not odd even if i'm getting rejected.  

Got the exact same thing today. Scared me especially since I dont know whether the update was for an interview or a rejection lol

Per a friend who works there: The UChicago BSD (Biological Sciences Divisions) are experiencing major turmoil and updates at the moment.

This is probably just generalization but is Yale graduate program in molecular biology a little better than the one at Princeton? I need to know this before committing interview visits with the schools. :X

Edited by Fun_Cookie

Anyone knows about the admission rate for the interviewees at Harvard?? it is my dream program and I got really nervous now...

Rudimentary statistics for admission to the Harvard Integrated Life Sciences (HILS; includes Systems Biology) programs can be found near the top of this page: http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/hils/apply.php

I'm sure the admission rate varies appreciably from program to program, so I'd suggest you take these figures with a grain of salt. 

EDIT: I see you inquired specifically about admission rates for interviewees--my apologies. I have no grounds for speculation there.

Edited by AxonAxoff

Anyone knows about the admission rate for the interviewees at Harvard?? it is my dream program and I got really nervous now...

A student in the Systems Biology program at Harvard told me that they invite approx. 30 applicants. Normally, approx. 12 students are admitted each year.

I am really excited/ nervous about that interview (the only one I have so far, but also my dream program xD ).

Edited by Sylvia88

A student in the Systems Biology program at Harvard told me that they invite approx. 30 applicants. Normally, approx. 12 students are admitted each year.

I am really excited/ nervous about that interview (the only one I have so far, but also my dream program xD ).

Thanks! And good luck! Hope we could be classmate this fall.

what happened

oh nothing special. it's just typical 'first and nervous and blah blah' :)

i just answered like '1+1=3'

but it was a great experience. and next interview would be much easier.