2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Um..do they send invites at once or weekly like UNC? Biting nails...here goes my new years eve :/

I'm not sure... I received a phone call and an official email extending an offer to interview for their neuroscience program 12/18. I just joined this forum, and thought I'd update anyone who hadn't heard. Try not to worry, I think many places haven't finished extending invites because of the oddly timed holiday season. UVA Neuro is the only one I've heard from. 

I have a quick question about interview scheduling.

So I'm set to interview at GSK from Jan 14-16, then Columbia from the 16-19. Since they're both in NYC, I figured I would only need to buy 2 tickets: one on Jan 14 and one on Jan 19 when I leave. I spoke with GSK and they said that they'd pay for both the Jan 14 and 19 ticket, even though the interview ends on the 16.

I want to contact Columbia now and tell them that I don't need to have my travel tickets reimbursed. Do I need to give a specific reason? Or should I just tell them that it's already been reimbursed by GSK? I'm not sure what would be best, and I don't want to sound misleading to them...

I'm not sure... I received a phone call and an official email extending an offer to interview for their neuroscience program 12/18. I just joined this forum, and thought I'd update anyone who hadn't heard. Try not to worry, I think many places haven't finished extending invites because of the oddly timed holiday season. UVA Neuro is the only one I've heard from. 

Actually UVA BIMS started sending invites very fast,just after their deadline. i saw a few people posting about their invites before 12/25. Dont know how they review and send invites.Just trying to determine if I should be hopeful or not

On 12/31/2013 at 11:02 AM, behavioralneuronerd said:

Didn't think I'd see anyone else applying to WVU on here! Are you applying to both the Biomedical Sciences program and the Psych/Behavioral Neuroscience program or did I interpret that incorrectly?

Um..do they send invites at once or weekly like UNC? Biting nails...here goes my new years eve :/

I think that Emory's different departments under GDBBS (like MMG/IMP/BCMB) send out invites separately, but I have no idea when.

I can tell you that I got the rejection last year from MMG on February 15.  I emailed on Jan 28 of last year and they said they were still in the process of reviewing apps - I don't know if this is because they hadn't sent out invites at all yet or if they just didn't want to tell me I was rejected.  I don't know.

The frustrating part about Emory, of course, is that my application was submitted on October 31 with the fee waiver.

I am tempted to call MMG and ask, but I am waiting for after the new year, for sure. :/

Edited by Leuco

Didn't think I'd see anyone else applying to WVU on here! Are you applying to both the Biomedical Sciences program and the Psych/Behavioral Neuroscience program or did I interpret that incorrectly?

Haha I actually go to WVU; Psychology major here (: I am applying to both, as both areas encompass my interests (and I already do research with both programs). What are you applying to? How did you decide on WVU? I've only seen one other person applying here (:

Haha I actually go to WVU; Psychology major here (: I am applying to both, as both areas encompass my interests (and I already do research with both programs). What are you applying to? How did you decide on WVU? I've only seen one other person applying here (:

I go to WVU also, so I guess it was an easy choice for me to make, but I'm applying to the Biomedical Sciences program as well! I'll probably end up going the Immunology and Microbial Pathogenesis route though. 

I go to WVU also, so I guess it was an easy choice for me to make, but I'm applying to the Biomedical Sciences program as well! I'll probably end up going the Immunology and Microbial Pathogenesis route though. 

That's cool. I'll probably go neuro, but there's so much overlap in that program that I feel like I'll get a little bit of everything. 

I have a quick question about interview scheduling.

So I'm set to interview at GSK from Jan 14-16, then Columbia from the 16-19. Since they're both in NYC, I figured I would only need to buy 2 tickets: one on Jan 14 and one on Jan 19 when I leave. I spoke with GSK and they said that they'd pay for both the Jan 14 and 19 ticket, even though the interview ends on the 16.

I want to contact Columbia now and tell them that I don't need to have my travel tickets reimbursed. Do I need to give a specific reason? Or should I just tell them that it's already been reimbursed by GSK? I'm not sure what would be best, and I don't want to sound misleading to them...

I had a similar dilemma when scheduling my Duke and BostonU interviews. My problem was trying to figure out who would pay for my flight from Duke to Boston. Duke ended up paying for my flights to Duke and to Boston, while Boston paid for me to go home.

I'm sure they deal with this all the time, so just be honest and tell them you are interviewing at another school in the area prior to their interview and your flights have already been covered. If anything, they should be glad.

I think that Emory's different departments under GDBBS (like MMG/IMP/BCMB) send out invites separately, but I have no idea when.

I can tell you that I got the rejection last year from MMG on February 15.  I emailed on Jan 28 of last year and they said they were still in the process of reviewing apps - I don't know if this is because they hadn't sent out invites at all yet or if they just didn't want to tell me I was rejected.  I don't know.

The frustrating part about Emory, of course, is that my application was submitted on October 31 with the fee waiver.

I am tempted to call MMG and ask, but I am waiting for after the new year, for sure. :/

Wow, February 15... isn't that supremely late? I feel like most have their interviews before/around that time... I guess no news isn't good news. I suppose I will continue obsessively checking my email and cursing when it's just from Spotify.

Wow, February 15... isn't that supremely late? I feel like most have their interviews before/around that time... I guess no news isn't good news. I suppose I will continue obsessively checking my email and cursing when it's just from Spotify.

Some of the grad schools send rejections ridiculously late...   I would start worrying a bit more after mid-January, though I know some schools (Maryland-Baltimore, for example) do send out interview invites that late.

On the other hand... I got the email from UCLA's ACCESS program saying my decision (rejection, obviously, haha) was available on August 7, with a letter attached that was dated March 8, haha! (yes, for a program that I applied to the December before)

Some of the grad schools send rejections ridiculously late...   I would start worrying a bit more after mid-January, though I know some schools (Maryland-Baltimore, for example) do send out interview invites that late.

On the other hand... I got the email from UCLA's ACCESS program saying my decision (rejection, obviously, haha) was available on August 7, with a letter attached that was dated March 8, haha! (yes, for a program that I applied to the December before)

Thanks for your help! So I can pretty much assume rejections if I don't hear by mid January? What about programs whose deadline isn't until much later than the average program (WVU BIMS- deadline February 15)?

Thanks for your help! So I can pretty much assume rejections if I don't hear by mid January? What about programs whose deadline isn't until much later than the average program (WVU BIMS- deadline February 15)?

I don't know if I'd assume rejections. I don't want to say anything for sure.  I think maybe start worrying a bit more, though, and maybe call the programs and ask.  I don't want to say anything specific.

I have no advice on schools with later deadlines... all the ones I applied to this and last year had Dec 1st deadlines.  February 15 is really late!!

I don't know if I'd assume rejections. I don't want to say anything for sure.  I think maybe start worrying a bit more, though, and maybe call the programs and ask.  I don't want to say anything specific.

I have no advice on schools with later deadlines... all the ones I applied to this and last year had Dec 1st deadlines.  February 15 is really late!!

Okay, thanks. I didn't know the policy on calling and asking, so I appreciate your help!

Okay, thanks. I didn't know the policy on calling and asking, so I appreciate your help!

I still haven't figured it out, honestly. I don't want to bother them too much.  But I think that a lot of people do it, and they expect it.  I wouldn't bother them constantly, obviously, but I think a call if it's at that point wouldn't be bad.

Per a friend who works there: The UChicago BSD (Biological Sciences Divisions) are experiencing major turmoil and updates at the moment.

Woah. MAJOR typo on my part! Their E-MAIL SERVERS are experiencing turmoil and updates! Not the department!

I had a similar dilemma when scheduling my Duke and BostonU interviews. My problem was trying to figure out who would pay for my flight from Duke to Boston. Duke ended up paying for my flights to Duke and to Boston, while Boston paid for me to go home.

I'm sure they deal with this all the time, so just be honest and tell them you are interviewing at another school in the area prior to their interview and your flights have already been covered. If anything, they should be glad.

Thanks for the advice! I think that they'll understand, and I guess telling them that I'm interviewing at another school couldn't hurt...

I was doing well for a few days there and now I am having anxiety again!  :wacko: I'm excited for the new year so hopefully I can get some interviews and acceptances. Already having anxiety issues + applying to graduate school = no bueno.

I was doing really well at not looking at this site for a while (until today, obviously, when i had to go back and read everything I've missed). And I just have to say that I feel you about the anxiety thing. It is rough ride with the extra bonus of unmedicated anxiety. Just trying to think happy thoughts and not about the possibility of having a panic attack at an eventual (hopefully...) interview. Fun times.

Thanks! And good luck! Hope we could be classmate this fall.

Thanks xD. Good luck to you too.

Happy New Year to all and let’s hope next year we all have some offers of admission to grad school xD

Don't know if anyone is applying to Berkeley IDI SPH, but they won't send out interview invites until "later in January."

I am! Good to know, even though it's nice and vague. Thanks, Berkeley.

yepppp you're just gonna get this 

"The Admissions Committee has met to discuss our program's recruits and has finished sending out interview invitations. We have received many applications from excellent students such as yourself and have found it difficult to choose amongst them.  Nevertheless, we do have to make these choices and the Admissions Committee has decided to focus its attention on other applicants.  We wish you the best with your scientific career.

Sincerely,

Lea Benguigui"

I really wish they would send this to me.  The lack of official rejection keeps even the smallest hope alive and is really bad for your psyche.  Ugh.  Just want to move on with my "scientific career"...

Undergrad Institution: State university
Major(s): Biology (this is a primarily medical route subject, and I have zero interest in medicine)
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.78 
Overall GPA: 3.61
Position in Class: I have no idea. I've gotten Dean's List twice, in the College of Science and Engineering
Type of Student: Nontraditional. White female, married, two kids.

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 158
V: 161
W: 5.0
B: Not Taking.

Research Experience:

- REU with forum presentation, poster and experience with one of the PIs I am applying to work with. Potential publication from this.

- Experience mentoring honors undergraduates in research topic (outside of primary interests) at home institution

- Project tangential to research interests at home institution

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

-Dean's list x2

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

-Undergraduate teaching assistant for introductory biology laboratory course. Sole responsibility of teaching the course to class of 24 students. Doing this for my third semester in the spring.

Special Bonus Points:

-I've got a feeling my letter writers are awesome and think well of me (considering two of them mentioned that I'd have a place with them if I wanted it) 

- You can't tell from this but I'm a really good writer. I suspect my SoP is pretty good. I've had grad students approach me to proofread their writing samples. 

Applying to Where: I have submitted applications to Entomology, Ecology, and Environmental Sciences programs at (in order from west to east across U.S.)

-UC Davis

-University of Illinois, Urbana-champaign

-Univeristy of Virginia

-Cornell

Edited by calliope_dogstar