2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Good to see some more international students. Makes me feel that I am not the only one who is suffering and has to wait longer. Any idea about about UT Austin invites for international students?

In my case, UT Austin hasn't sent anything yet...

Nice to meet you anyway!

Someone posted an interview for Einstein biomedical sciences

I am an international student already in US as well. It is normal. Wait till late jan or early feb.

I've been a lurker for some time yet I thought it doesn't hurt to post something here. I'm an international student currently studying in the US; I applied for 8 programs and so far I got only one skype interview of which I don't know the result yet and nothing else. Does anyone know if it's normal for international applicants to wait longer or I'm basically fucked this year?

I am also an international student (F-1) already studying in the United States. The policy for non-U.S. citizens/permanent residents vary from school to school, but generally, the bar is set higher for internationals. On one end, I believe in some schools everyone is combined into one applicant pool (i.e. no procedural difference between Americans and non-Americans), while on the other extreme they are basically considered two very different applications. I think generally, the interviews are sent out at the same time as the domestic students (I currently have 2 interview offers; applied to 9). But really, kevintoy, I think we all should wait till late January to get a good idea.

I know that many state schools discriminate against foreign nationals because the tuition system makes us more expensive to support (I heard this from my PI). There is a thing called "tuition remission." All graduate students are charged tuition, and usually the program and/or the PI pays that amount to the school on behalf of the student. As we all know, state schools have separate in-state and out-of-state tuitions, and while U.S. citizens and permanent residents can establish residency in the new state to qualify for in-state, we can't do that, and thus we are more expensive to support. Some UC schools take this to the extreme (UCSD BMS: admits 1 out 300 international applicants).

We also face differential treatment in many private institutions because we're not eligible for federally-funded training grants. The epitome of these types of grants is of course the NIH training grant. But generally, it's not as bad, and I've seen some biology departments with 30%> international student population, from which I inferred that the playing level is almost even. It really is case by case depending on the school or even the individual departments.

Of course, these restrictions sit on top of any language barriers we still might have. :ph34r:

I think I rambled on a bit... but I presume it'll be nice to have a post from an international student perspective. :) Cheers to everyone out there, Eagle Passport or not haha

Another Princeton QCB interview was put up on results page. Apparently QCB interviews are Feb. 7 and MB interviews are Jan. 31.... Seems to me that it's close enough to that date that if we haven't heard, we're probably out :/ I hope I'm wrong! 

Edited by elanorci

I am also an international student (F-1) already studying in the United States. The policy for non-U.S. citizens/permanent residents vary from school to school, but generally, the bar is set higher for internationals. On one end, I believe in some schools everyone is combined into one applicant pool (i.e. no procedural difference between Americans and non-Americans), while on the other extreme they are basically considered two very different applications. I think generally, the interviews are sent out at the same time as the domestic students (I currently have 2 interview offers; applied to 9). But really, kevintoy, I think we all should wait till late January to get a good idea.

I know that many state schools discriminate against foreign nationals because the tuition system makes us more expensive to support (I heard this from my PI). There is a thing called "tuition remission." All graduate students are charged tuition, and usually the program and/or the PI pays that amount to the school on behalf of the student. As we all know, state schools have separate in-state and out-of-state tuitions, and while U.S. citizens and permanent residents can establish residency in the new state to qualify for in-state, we can't do that, and thus we are more expensive to support. Some UC schools take this to the extreme (UCSD BMS: admits 1 out 300 international applicants).

We also face differential treatment in many private institutions because we're not eligible for federally-funded training grants. The epitome of these types of grants is of course the NIH training grant. But generally, it's not as bad, and I've seen some biology departments with 30%> international student population, from which I inferred that the playing level is almost even. It really is case by case depending on the school or even the individual departments.

Of course, these restrictions sit on top of any language barriers we still might have. :ph34r:

I think I rambled on a bit... but I presume it'll be nice to have a post from an international student perspective. :) Cheers to everyone out there, Eagle Passport or not haha

Thanks for posting. It's actually not a huge concern for me because even if I got rejected by all, that would mean the schools are taking people at least smarter than me to do research so there's still hope for science. On the other hand, that would mean doing research is probably not ideal for me and I should seek alternative options. 

Edited by kevintoy

Another Princeton QCB interview was put up on results page. Apparently QCB interviews are Feb. 7 and MB interviews are Jan. 31.... Seems to me that it's close enough to that date that if we haven't heard, we're probably out :/ I hope I'm wrong!

There's still Monday! If people are working. Has anyone talked to the Princeton people?

Not necessarily. I got an interview at one school last year about a week and a half before the interview date. It was a good thing they were paying for the flights, because they would have been expensive!

I was doing well for a few days there and now I am having anxiety again!  :wacko: I'm excited for the new year so hopefully I can get some interviews and acceptances. Already having anxiety issues + applying to graduate school = no bueno.

Princeton MolBio usually has two interview dates, two weeks apart. I know people there and I can tell you that the people who are offered interviews are the ones who will pretty much be admitted. If you interview at Princeton MolBio and don't get admitted then you will probably be waitlisted.

Thanks for posting. It's actually not a huge concern for me because even if I got rejected by all, that would mean the schools are taking people at least smarter than me to do research so there's still hope for science. On the other hand, that would mean doing research is probably not ideal for me and I should seek alternative options. 

Yeah.....tell me about it. I should get another job if i'm rejected by all the schools that I applied.

That would mean I am insufficient for the research. I won't have to whine but find another job as soon as possible.  

Yeah.....tell me about it. I should get another job if i'm rejected by all the schools that I applied.

That would mean I am insufficient for the research. I won't have to whine but find another job as soon as possible.  

Why are you assuming you will be rejected by PSU if you got an interview? 

I think the week of Jan. 6-10 is likely to be a big one in terms of news on this thread.

Let's hope so anyways...

I have a logistical question for anyone who has any insight.  I've been invited to interview at UW, which is one of my top choices.  They give two interview dates, but you have to confirm which one you're attending by January 3.  One of the dates conflicts with an interview offer from UC Davis, which is one of my "safety" schools (but I'm still interested in it).  So, I obviously chose the UW date that doesn't conflict.  However, it sounds like Weill Cornell may still send out some invites, but their interview date would conflict with the other UW date (which I am currently registered for).  I would obviously prefer to interview at Weill Cornell, but I'm uncertain if I'll hear back from them before having to secure my UW interview date.  I'm also hesitant to change the UW date and sacrifice the UC Davis interview if I'm not going to get a Weill Cornell interview anyways... Any advice?

Let's hope so anyways...

I have a logistical question for anyone who has any insight.  I've been invited to interview at UW, which is one of my top choices.  They give two interview dates, but you have to confirm which one you're attending by January 3.  One of the dates conflicts with an interview offer from UC Davis, which is one of my "safety" schools (but I'm still interested in it).  So, I obviously chose the UW date that doesn't conflict.  However, it sounds like Weill Cornell may still send out some invites, but their interview date would conflict with the other UW date (which I am currently registered for).  I would obviously prefer to interview at Weill Cornell, but I'm uncertain if I'll hear back from them before having to secure my UW interview date.  I'm also hesitant to change the UW date and sacrifice the UC Davis interview if I'm not going to get a Weill Cornell interview anyways... Any advice?

What I plan to do is just to schedule them in the order they were received. Schools that send later invites should (I hope) be more understand of conflicts. Also, as my dad has been telling me every day "don't count your chickens before they hatch". Work with what you have and if you get that Weill Cornell interview, then figure it out. :)

What I plan to do is just to schedule them in the order they were received. Schools that send later invites should (I hope) be more understand of conflicts. Also, as my dad has been telling me every day "don't count your chickens before they hatch". Work with what you have and if you get that Weill Cornell interview, then figure it out. :)

Well said. This is what I plan to do as well if any conflicts come up.

Let's hope so anyways...

Haha I planned the same thing minus UC Davis. I picked the 2nd session for UW so I could go to Weill! lol

Let's hope so anyways...

I did that also - scheduled them in the order that I received them - and would recommend it as well! Luckily I've only run into one conflict so far. U of Washington invited me to choose one of two weekends, but I am already interviewing at other schools during both of the options given. I politely stated that I have prior commitments to interview at other places during those weekends, but would be happy to visit UW on a different date. The director of the program actually worked with me to figure out a weekend that they can fly me to Seattle and interview, but it looks like it'll be just me. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages of not being able to be a part of the "recruitment weekend" activities, but at least I still get to go and meet the faculty and students! I wasn't sure if the department would be receptive to my offering a different visit date, but a graduate student in my lab made a pretty good point: if they want you, they'll accommodate you!

I did that also - scheduled them in the order that I received them - and would recommend it as well! Luckily I've only run into one conflict so far. U of Washington invited me to choose one of two weekends, but I am already interviewing at other schools during both of the options given. I politely stated that I have prior commitments to interview at other places during those weekends, but would be happy to visit UW on a different date. The director of the program actually worked with me to figure out a weekend that they can fly me to Seattle and interview, but it looks like it'll be just me. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages of not being able to be a part of the "recruitment weekend" activities, but at least I still get to go and meet the faculty and students! I wasn't sure if the department would be receptive to my offering a different visit date, but a graduate student in my lab made a pretty good point: if they want you, they'll accommodate you!

Oh wow, that's good to hear.  Hopefully other schools will be the same way.  Thanks for the advice, everyone!

It's just the reality--when there's more applicants than positions available. I'm just a bit disappointed as I've planned a lot of things beforehand and now I have to consult plan B. It might not actually be a bad thing since rejections from grad school could open up opportunities that I've never thought of. I just hope everyone gets what he/she deserves.

some one posted Einstein biomedical sciences Interview dates - Jan 30-31 or Feb 6-7. Boy that means If you are in, you should be hearing back from them soon or on wait-list for now....

They say, "Ignorance is bliss" :D !