2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I got my invitation the 13th of december last year.

And in case you wanted to know Invite for Hopkins biophysics was received on january 8th.

Thanks! Maybe Cornell's a no then. Planning on emailing them post new year.

Yeah I did! I haven't heard back from Hopkins yet though, have you?

I got an email asking for my missing LOR that said they don't start reviewing until Jan 6th. They had the latest deadline of anyone for me.

So, for those us who haven't gotten interview invities for Yale BBSB and Berkeley MCB at this point ...we can pretty much assume we've been rejected?

I still haven't heard from Yale BBSB either, if it's any consolation.

Idk if it helps but Yale's BBS in microbio goes through into the new year

My instinct says BBSB will too since they didn't send them all in one wave like Harvard did. Fingers crossed anyway!

For those waiting to hear back from JHU-BCMB, I had trouble with my transcripts and last names (2 last names generates so much trouble!) but I was able to call them today and I promptly received this message:

Hi -,

You are correct. It completed out after I left for today’s review meeting and I have already sent your file on to the director. It will more than likely be reviewed next week at which time I will be back in touch with you.

So it seems there might be another wave of interviews next week. 

I have been a lurker on this forum for far to long. Finally decided to post my stats.

Undergrad Institution: One of the UC's
Major(s): Neuroscience
GPA in Major: 3.53
Overall GPA: 3.16 (Failed a couple of classes)
Position in Class: unknown
Type of Student: Domestic, male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 159
V: 151
W: 3.5
B: Too Lazy to take the subject test. Also, didn't have enough time to study

Research Experience: 

3.5 years research experience in 3 different labs. No Publications Yet!

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list a couple of quarters

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Teaching Assistant for Intro Molecular Bio course

Special Bonus Points: First Generation Student

Applying to Where:

Michigan PIBS, Arizona ABBS, Dartmouth PEMM, Virginia BIMS, Vanderbilt IGP, Emory BCDB, UCSB

I got a phone call for an interview at Michigan this morning. I was sure that I had been rejected after people had posted getting interveiws two weeks ago. Its my top choice so I'm more than excited. Two interview dates to choose from Jan 30-2 and Feb 6-9. Looks like they are still sending out invites!!

Does anyone know if Arizona ABBS has sent out all of its intives yet? Anyone have an update about Vanderbilt IGP or Emory BCDB???

Edited by wolbachia0908

I got an interview at Michigan this morning. I was sure that I had been rejected after people had posted getting interveiws two weeks ago. Its my top choice so i'm more than excited.  Two interview dates to choose from Jan 30-2 and Feb 6-9. Looks like they are still sending out invites!!

Does anyone know if Arizona ABBS has sent out all of its intives yet? Anyone have an update about Vanderbilt IGP or Emory BCDB???

wow two weeks?? That is awesome news for everyone, especially you! 

On 12/27/2013 at 6:12 PM, DirtyLabCoat said:

wow two weeks?? That is awesome news for everyone, especially you! 

I have food poisoning so I honestly thought I hallucinated the phone call but my phone says i didn't. I know PIBS gets a lot of apps and maybe they went department by department for the interviews. I have a friend who applied to Cornell's Microbial Pathogenesis program also, I'll ask her if she's heard back.

Congrats on the University of Washington interview!!

On 12/27/2013 at 6:34 PM, wolbachia0908 said:

I have food poisoning so I honestly thought I hallucinated the phone call but my phone says i didn't. I know PIBS gets a lot of apps and maybe they went department by department for the interviews. I have a friend who applied to Cornell's Microbial Pathogenesis program also, I'll ask her if she's heard back.

Congrats on the University of Washington interview!!

Thank you!

Congrats on the U Wash interview!!

Thanks for the Michigan PIBS info, wolbachia0908, and congratulations on your interview! I sincerely hope that the PIBS interview offers are progressing department by department; in fact, I kind of suspect it as their recent behavior in no way models last year's. I know first-hand that UNC-CH BBSP operates in the aforementioned manner. Any folks out there been offered interviews from the Biophysics grad program in PIBS?? Thank you 

I am officially starting to hate the weekends and holidays. Not likely to hear about my applications for another week.

I am actually reading Quantum mechanics :| , watching Feynman's lectures, pondering about double slit mystery and furiously searching for something similar to gene mapping of economy. 

Sorry the belabor this but I emailed Weill today and got no response as to the interview emails being sent out now or extended through Jan. Anyone else that has info on this it would be appreciated if you posted some info ! Thanks

Same here, no response from the Weill program coordinator Lea. Frustrating.

Yes, I can't figure out if they send them out in waves or not from the past results page :/

They probably send them out in waves now. The number of apps increase each year so I doubt they can send them out in one day. Seriously, If I can hear from Michigan 2 weeks after other people posted interviews on this forum you should be fine. It seems like a big program. Really small programs do it all at once. The UC I am at has a small MCD program they get close to 100 applications a year and they reviewed everyone in 2 days and sent out the interview offers a couple of days later all at once.

Congratz!! Did you get invites for UVA BIMS? or chemistry?

UVA BIMS. Applications may be split up based on the interests you list on your application because I listed Immunology as my first choice discipline and my email was from the director of Microbiology, Immunology, and Cancer Biology.

I've been a lurker for some time yet I thought it doesn't hurt to post something here. I'm an international student currently studying in the US; I applied for 8 programs and so far I got only one skype interview of which I don't know the result yet and nothing else. Does anyone know if it's normal for international applicants to wait longer or I'm basically fucked this year?