2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I am almost positive that this is true.

I know the programs go through apps separately, make decisions on their own and all that.  (I haven't heard anything about MMG yet, so I, too, am anxiously waiting)

Yes, at Emory all programs under the GDBBS umbrella have separate admissions timelines, available spaces for new students and interview dates. The Neuroscience program sent an email to current students saying that invites for on-campus interviews had been sent. I don't know if that means something else for Skype interviews/international students/ etc, and I'm sure things can change but that's all I know.

Hi all,

So I am applying for a PhD straight out of my BS, and I'm hoping to head down the paleobiology path despite having little biology education in the classroom. Most of my research, however, has required me to build a general understanding of biological/ evolutionary patterns relevant to my work. Mostly I am posting in the geology forums, but I figured I would reach out here since a number of the programs I am applying to are in biology departments. I'm a bit nervous due to my bio inexperience, but I am hoping that my application (esp LoRs) will speak highly of my ability to learn quickly. I'd love any feedback on where you guys think I stand....

Undergrad Institution: medium sized urban college
Major(s): Earth and Environmental Science B.S.
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.9
Overall GPA:3.1 (well explained in my SoP- my first few years were wayward until I discovered earth science)
Position in Class: top
Type of Student: female/ returning student

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156
V: 153
W: 4.0
B:

Research Experience: 1.5 years with well renowned paleontologist; Smithsonian REU; ridiculous amount of field work spanning 1.5 years (for my research as well as others- domestic and international); 3 poster sessions, 1 talk, 1 paper in prep (all first author)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 1 from my school; 1 from Institute of Prof. Geologist; Dean's List

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Part time job while attending school; secretary of my school's geo society

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Granted fellowship to fund independent undergraduate research

Special Bonus Points: audited paleo-bio graduate course; all 3 of my LoRs are *superb* and 2/3 are highly successful really well known paleontologists

Also, I arranged to meet with the potential adviser at Berkeley over this past summer (went really well!) and he came to 1 of my poster sessions (also went well!)

I also have strong connections with potential advisers at the other institutions and have met with all of them over conferences

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I feel my SoP is quite strong and unique (addresses my low cum GPA, speaks to my previous ambitions as an artist, etc)

Applying to Where:

UC Berkeley- Integrative Bio

UT Austin- Jackson School (potential adviser already phoned my LoR authors to discuss me further- that must be a good sign!)

University of Southern California- Earth and Environmental Sciences

CUNY- Earth/ Environmental

Richard Gilder- Comparative Bio (I've done field work/ research for 1.5 years with one of the committee members)

** I'm already in to continue my masters at my current institution and continue my research if all else fails :)

Thanks!! Good luck everyone and happy new year!

Finished my last application today to Brown (EEB). Feels weird to only apply to 4 schools, but I decided not to apply to my 5th choice (Oregon State University). I really want to go to UMich and I'm anxiously awaiting an interview invitation! I know the committe won't be sending out any invites for at least another week.

I guess they already have for US students...

I called the program office again just now, still went to voice message...I had to write to a professor to consult about the app status, which is the least thing I'd like to do.

Those that are not back already will likely be back by Monday, Jan 6th from what I have heard. Hope that helps.

Agreed.

For ours, a public research university, the only official holidays were Dec 25-27 and yesterday, Jan 1, but a lot of staff/faculty/students are taking advantage of the vacations, so the universities, while officially open, probably won't be fully staffed again until Monday.

Hey all,

Does anyone know anything about when Boulder MCDB invites go out? There seemed to be a lack of information on that in last year's thread. Has anyone heard anything from them?

Hate to be annoying about this but just bumping this after the New Year!

Those that are not back already will likely be back by Monday, Jan 6th from what I have heard. Hope that helps.

Yes, I got many emails quoting Jan 6. Of course, by then, your fate may already be sealed.

Just got this email from Rockefeller:

Thank you for submitting an application to the David Rockefeller Graduate Program at The Rockefeller University.  All applicants who are selected for an interview will be notified the evening of January 14, 2014.  Our interview dates are February 27-28 and March 6-7, 2014. Please try to keep these dates free until you hear from us.

My heart dropped to my stomach when I saw the email pop up on my screen, lol. No news is good news at this point!

Is there any way to know how many students they accept into a specific program or what is the admission rate for those who are offered an interview?

thanks

Edited by antibody89

Thank you for submitting an application to the David Rockefeller Graduate Program at The Rockefeller University.  All applicants who are selected for an interview will be notified the evening of January 14, 2014.  Our interview dates are February 27-28 and March 6-7, 2014. Please try to keep these dates free until you hear from us.

My heart dropped to my stomach when I saw the email pop up on my screen, lol. No news is good news at this point!

Oh yeah, it felt like I just had gulped down two cups of coffee in 5 seconds. Haha. According to last year's records, they send out all the interview offers on one day and then send all the rejections at once about one week afterwards.

Fingers crossed, everyone.

Edited by No Coffee Plz

Ummm yeah.  Agreed.  Especially since the subject was

Interview Information for The Rockefeller University

(That was copy/pasted from my email but I'll leave the bold since it bascially had that effect on me.)

Edited by sciguy

(That was copy/pasted from my email but I'll leave the bold since it bascially had that effect on me.)

yeah, this email made me heart attack. Thought I got the invitation....LOL

That's borderline mean. I wish schools thought just a little bit more before they did things like this. 

I saw the subject line and my heart started beating like crazy!! I hate these types of e-mails. 

Edited by Orims

Emory BCDB and MSP sent out all their interviews for this cycle. Got an email from the program coordinator. Got super excited for a second. Oh well guess it was t meant to be!

Edited by wolbachia0908