2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Has anyone heard from USC PIBBS?

I got an interview invite on 1/16-17 (no other options in the email). But it conflicts with my schedule so I'm asking them to make some arrangement.

Congrats, kevintoy!!!! How come they offer you a phone interview? which program at Penn did you apply to?

Biology Graduate Program. It's a much smaller program than CAMP. There's gonna be in-person interview in Feb if I survive the first round.

Edited by kevintoy

Another international student posted a JHU- BCMB result. I got an e-mail telling me that I would receive news this week and I got nothing. I am dying! 

Just a quick question for guys..Am i right to assume that bioMEDICAL science clusters are harder to get into compared to Biological sciences ? How much harder are we really talking about?

Hey guys, I'm freaking myself out (hence my username) and thought maybe one of you might be able to reassure me?  I got a Harvard BBS interview a while back and didn't respond (i.e. filling out the online form they give you) til yesterday because I was waiting to hear from someplace else about dates.  But now I'm worried that because I waited so long to fill it out, I might not get an interview spot.  Is that a legitimate concern?  They say "spots are limited" but I wasn't sure if that referred to having an equal distribution between weekends or if they actually send out more interviews than they can accomodate.

I think it might be possible that they had an internal deadline for you to respond. For example, BCM explicitly asked me to respond within 3 days. But then, Harvard sent out all the invites in one wave (I have not heard of any additional sends), so the interview pool might be closed. You should ask. 

Anyone heard from the University of Michigan (program in biomedical sciences)?

Yeah some people heard back mid december, I heard back the following week. I think all the interveiws may have been sent out. I know the Jan interveiw date is full not sure about the feb date.

Still waiting to hear from Berkeley MCB, OHSU, Irvine CMB, Caltech Bio, Scripps and UTSW....even though I'm pretty sure I've seen invites go out already for all of these. Anyone know which of these schools batches their invites or if they send them on a rolling basis? I'm wondering which ones are probably rejects at this point....

People started receiving interview invitations to Berkeley MCB a few weeks ago. MCB sent out an email saying such invitations will be sent until January 11, but our admissions chances are not looking good right now.

Does anyone have any extra info about when we might expect to hear from MIT other than "mid-January" as per their website? Last year it seems that most responses went out between 8th and 11th, so that's what I'm expecting, but has anyone heard anything else? 

Big week coming up indeed. Good luck to all :D 

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking this forum for a couple weeks and wish everyone good luck with their applications, interviews and careers!   

I noticed that not many of you have applied to UCLA for bio-related fields.  Does anyone know about their program in CompBio/Bioinformatics?  My son was offered an interview in Feb, and I noticed a few others have as well.  I know that UCSD, UCSF and Berkeley are good in this field (and UCSC?).  Any thoughts on how UCLA compares?  He's still waiting to hear on the other schools to which he applied.   (Seems like Princeton interview offers are out, so we suspect - as we thought - he's probably not in the mix there.)

Also wondering (and apologize if this has been covered elsewhere) - would anyone recommend a masters first to get additional research experience and perhaps refine a statement of interest?  He's applying straight out of undergrad and has therefore had limited research experience (about 1 1/2 year in one lab plus a summer in another).  Grades are ok, not great, but at a know grade-deflated school... but great GRE scores.  Has several areas in which he's interested.  Problem is that he hasn't found many programs with terminal masters in comp bio (CMU, Michigan I think, UCSC, Georgetown?).

Thanks for any insights you can provide.  He's asking us for advice, but we don't know the PhD route...

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking this forum for a couple weeks and wish everyone good luck with their applications, interviews and careers!   

I noticed that not many of you have applied to UCLA for bio-related fields.  Does anyone know about their program in CompBio/Bioinformatics?  My son was offered an interview in Feb, and I noticed a few others have as well.  I know that UCSD, UCSF and Berkeley are good in this field (and UCSC?).  Any thoughts on how UCLA compares?  He's still waiting to hear on the other schools to which he applied.   (Seems like Princeton interview offers are out, so we suspect - as we thought - he's probably not in the mix there.)

Also wondering (and apologize if this has been covered elsewhere) - would anyone recommend a masters first to get additional research experience and perhaps refine a statement of interest?  He's applying straight out of undergrad and has therefore had limited research experience (about 1 1/2 year in one lab plus a summer in another).  Grades are ok, not great, but at a know grade-deflated school... but great GRE scores.  Has several areas in which he's interested.  Problem is that he hasn't found many programs with terminal masters in comp bio (CMU, Michigan I think, UCSC, Georgetown?).

Thanks for any insights you can provide.  He's asking us for advice, but we don't know the PhD route...

It would be in his best interest to make him do the research into his future. It doesn't look good in any grad schools eyes to have the parents getting info for someone who is supposed to be a responsible adult. And I know my saying this may come across as mean, but I teach at a college with a masters program, and they HATE it when parents inquire for students. Plus, this is good practice in research.

It would be in his best interest to make him do the research into his future. It doesn't look good in any grad schools eyes to have the parents getting info for someone who is supposed to be a responsible adult. And I know my saying this may come across as mean, but I teach at a college with a masters program, and they HATE it when parents inquire for students. Plus, this is good practice in research.

You might also get more responses if this were in a thread of its own.

Hi everyone,

UCLA has a decent program. Completely outdated information can be found here:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/biochemistry-rankings

That is the Biochem section, but you can do a little digging and see if there is a breakdown for Bioinformatics at all. Personally I think it is hard to get a good idea about a school in these ranking systems (especially since they are 4 years old), but it can give you a place to start. I would also recommend looking at the school's website for more detailed information about the professors... although I am sure your son has already done this. Generally when looking at labs I have been looking to see if there are any grad students/post-docs there already to determine if there is funding in the lab. It is imperfect, but useful none the less.

Most of the PhD programs seem to be applied to and taken by undergrads which is why you are not seeing many master's programs. It would probably assist in acceptance, but that might be a better question for some of the individual schools.

Good Luck!